News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cleveland Opportunity Corridor

Started by ysuindy, June 02, 2014, 10:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 03, 2021, 11:42:30 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 03, 2021, 01:04:55 AM
So, Cleveland & ODOT will be doing the "ribbon cutting" on Opportunity Corridor later today...
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/whats-going-on-with/opportunity-corridor-to-open-soon-connecting-i-490-to-east-105th-street

...but they won't be opening it to traffic until a later date (supposedly to be announced at the ribbon cutting)

Yeah, I guess you are waiting for that announcement before bothering to post it on the Travel Mapping Forum.  That seems to be the right move here.

You're mistaking me for Dave Schul, aka Mapcat. He is in charge of Ohio data for TM.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hot Rod Hootenanny

So, Cleveland & ODOT will be doing the "ribbon cutting" on Opportunity Corridor later today...
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/whats-going-on-with/opportunity-corridor-to-open-soon-connecting-i-490-to-east-105th-street

...but they won't be opening it to traffic until a later date (supposedly to be announced at the ribbon cutting)

I guess the actual opening date will be next Friday (Nov. 12)
https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/11/03/ribbon-cutting-ceremony-held-clevelands-opportunity-corridor/

74/171FAN

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 04, 2021, 12:45:05 PM

Yeah, I guess you are waiting for that announcement before bothering to post it on the Travel Mapping Forum.  That seems to be the right move here.

You're mistaking me for Dave Schul, aka Mapcat. He is in charge of Ohio data for TM.

Right, but I thought you were osu-lsu there (as I am markkos1992 there).  That was why I assumed that.

I do not think that mapcat actually has an account here from my personal interactions with him.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 04, 2021, 01:20:49 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 04, 2021, 12:45:05 PM

Right, but I thought you were osu-lsu there (as I am markkos1992 there).  That was why I assumed that.

I do not think that mapcat actually has an account here from my personal interactions with him.

Yes, I go by osu-lsu on TM (my original moniker on here was osu-lsu as well, back when we could change names at will).

thenetwork

The Opportunity Corridor officially opened Friday after rush hour.

More photos:  https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021/11/opportunity-corridor-boulevard-officially-opens-in-cleveland.html

Looking at some of the photos, I'm sort of disappointed that ODOT has treated the SR‐10 extention signing like the red-headed stepchild.  They had more than enough time to properly sign the extension on the BGSs.

And that first photo ‐- Makes it look like its called the "Toledo Opportunity Corridor".

74/171FAN

I see myself wishing that there was a photo directly from the eastern end to prove that OH 10 now extends to US 322.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: thenetwork on November 13, 2021, 03:28:26 PM

More photos:  https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021/11/opportunity-corridor-boulevard-officially-opens-in-cleveland.html

Looking at some of the photos, I'm sort of disappointed that ODOT has treated the SR‐10 extention signing like the red-headed stepchild.  They had more than enough time to properly sign the extension on the BGSs.

And that first photo ‐- Makes it look like its called the "Toledo Opportunity Corridor".

The interstate signage, for the new road, leaves something to be desired.  :eyebrow: :-( :verymad: :thumbdown:

SkyPesos

Interesting seeing "490"  in Series B font, instead of the Series C that ODOT used on new 3di shields for the past few years.

seicer

Is it even new signage? Or did they just slap "Opportunity Corridor" over "E 55th St"? Because this is soooo Ohio otherwise. Come down to southern Ohio where you'll see all sorts of signs just attached to other signs and be that way for decades.

Buck87

SkyPesos

Quote from: seicer on November 14, 2021, 09:42:21 AM
Is it even new signage? Or did they just slap "Opportunity Corridor" over "E 55th St"? Because this is soooo Ohio otherwise. Come down to southern Ohio where you'll see all sorts of signs just attached to other signs and be that way for decades.
The fact that doghouses are still used instead of FYAs on this brand new stretch of road is also "so Ohio".

74/171FAN

Chrysler375Freeway

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 25, 2019, 07:28:03 PM
Quote from: froggie on April 23, 2019, 08:45:13 AM
^ Instead of bantering back and forth, could you please explain why you don't think 322 should go west of 20?

It's Redundant
What about US 52 from Cincinnati to Charleston (South Carolina)? Is its existence southeast of Cincinnati justified due to a connection to a port city or is it redundant due to parts of it being paralleled by I-77?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 15, 2021, 07:58:52 PM
Quote from: seicer on November 14, 2021, 09:42:21 AM
The fact that doghouses are still used instead of FYAs on this brand new stretch of road is also "so Ohio".
More states should use doghouse signals for turning lanes, like Ohio.

Buck87

The Opportunity Corridor is now on Google maps

LM-Q620

mrsman

I don't see the extension of OH-10 along the COC as being necessary or desirable.  OH-10 is a local route between Downtown and the western suburbs, largely along Lorain Ave.  That is where it belongs.

Connecting OH-10 to COC requires several turns and even a stretch along I-77.  IMO, it would be better to have the COC take on OH-490, a state highway extension of the interstate number.  A number of other states do similar, attaching a state number to an extension of an interstate that does not meet interstate requirements, even non-freeways.  One that comes to mind is CA-110 along Gaffey St in San Pedro, CA.

silverback1065

Quote from: mrsman on December 28, 2021, 12:53:46 PM

I don't see the extension of OH-10 along the COC as being necessary or desirable.  OH-10 is a local route between Downtown and the western suburbs, largely along Lorain Ave.  That is where it belongs.

Connecting OH-10 to COC requires several turns and even a stretch along I-77.  IMO, it would be better to have the COC take on OH-490, a state highway extension of the interstate number.  A number of other states do similar, attaching a state number to an extension of an interstate that does not meet interstate requirements, even non-freeways.  One that comes to mind is CA-110 along Gaffey St in San Pedro, CA.

i thought ODOT didn't maintain state routes in cities. Is that not true?  :hmmm:

Bitmapped

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 28, 2021, 01:04:41 PM
i thought ODOT didn't maintain state routes in cities. Is that not true?  :hmmm:

They don't, but that doesn't mean that state routes and US routes aren't signed in municipalities to allow for wayfinding. Cleveland already maintains stretches of the SR 2 and SR 176 freeways.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe the Opportunity Corridor should have remained unnumbered, or given a state highway designation not current being used.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

1) Ohio does NOT duplicate highway numbers. If I-490 exists, then there will not be an Ohio 490. (in spite of all the US ohio route shields & Ohio us route shields we photograph as sign errors)

2) Opportunity Corridor was decided to have a route number because ODOT was involved with the road project. If was just a Cleveland, or Cuyahoga County, road project, maybe there would not have been a number designation.

3) All that said, I don't know why Oh 10 was chosen for this road instead of a new number or moving US 6, 20, or 322 over. Maybe there are some notes, or article, back on page 1 or 2 of this thread that will logically explain Oh 10's eastern extension.

silverback1065

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 29, 2021, 01:36:37 AM

1) Ohio does NOT duplicate highway numbers. If I-490 exists, then there will not be an Ohio 490. (in spite of all the US ohio route shields & Ohio us route shields we photograph as sign errors)

2) Opportunity Corridor was decided to have a route number because ODOT was involved with the road project. If was just a Cleveland, or Cuyahoga County, road project, maybe there would not have been a number designation.

3) All that said, I don't know why Oh 10 was chosen for this road instead of a new number or moving US 6, 20, or 322 over. Maybe there are some notes, or article, back on page 1 or 2 of this thread that will logically explain Oh 10's eastern extension.

so what is the official routing of 10 now once it hits 422?

74/171FAN

Quoteso what is the official routing of 10 now once it hits 422?

US 422 EB to I-77 SB to I-490 EB then following the Opportunity Corridor and 105th St to US 322.

zzcarp

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 29, 2021, 01:36:37 AM

I made the comment that routing US 322 from University Circle to I-77/I-490 would have been better. For some reason, Ohio likes to have its US routes in Cleveland terminate and/or pass through Public Square, hence the current US 42 and US 322 redundant concurrencies. Also, any change of a US route would require AASHTO approval.

Since they decided to use a State Route instead, OH 10 is the only state route that ended in downtown but NOT at Public Square, instead ending at Carnegie and Ontario. The route from there to the Opportunity Corridor is pretty straightforward-one turn on EB US 422/OH 8/OH 87/SB OH 21 and then straight ahead onto the I-77 South ramp where it multiplexes about a mile to the I-490 stack. Even though the routing crosses US 422/OH 8 and OH 87 again on the Opportunity Corridor, it basically functions as a bypass route to University Circle. I think the routing works and gives one semi-fast route from Ohio City to University Circle.

If you really want to get in the weeds, OH 10 was truncated by 15 miles on its west end in 1988 when the OH 20 freeway opened east of Oberlin. Growing up near there, OH 10 was my favorite state route as a kid and its redesignation in Lorain County was my first experience of a decomissioning/renumbering that I recall. I also wondered why OH 10 ended unglamorously on its east end at Ontario Street, and I spent lots of time back then creating fictional OH 10 extensions. Giving OH 10 an extra five miles on its east end is a compensation for that decommissioning, at least from the perspective of ten-year-old me.
So many miles and so many roads

mrsman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 29, 2021, 09:26:56 AM
Quoteso what is the official routing of 10 now once it hits 422?

US 422 EB to I-77 SB to I-490 EB then following the Opportunity Corridor and 105th St to US 322.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 28, 2021, 10:54:16 PM
Maybe the Opportunity Corridor should have remained unnumbered, or given a state highway designation not current being used.

I tend to agree.  The route of OH-10 now seems convoluted.

A new highway number would be best.  I offered a suggestion of OH-490 with the thought of linking I-490 and COC as one corridor with one number, albeit Interstate west of E. 55th and state route east of E 55th.  But if that is not available or allowed then a brand new state highway number would be best.

Buck87

I drove the Opportunity Corridor around 3:45 this afternoon in the westbound direction, which was quite a popular activity. Got stopped by almost all the lights and there were two places where traffic backed up from one light all the way back to the next intersection.

Nothing all that terrible, but definitely more traffic than I was expecting to see and more time than I was a expecting it to take. It should be noted that the westbound side of this road has two travel lanes the entire way, while the eastbound side has 3 lanes for about 2/3 of it. I guess they prioritized the on the way to work side over the on the way from work side when designing this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.