News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Phoenix Area Highways

Started by swbrotha100, February 22, 2015, 07:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

kernals12, you are wrong about density so please move on in this thread thx

kernals12

MAG is very confident in their ability to keep traffic moving even with Phoenix's population boom. In 2040, 42% of all VMT will still be in LOS A, down from 49% in 2018, and only 7.7% will be in LOS F, barely up from 5% in 2018, and this is with a forecast population of 6.2 million.

MisterRoadgeek

I mean Phoenix Light Traffic probably has to do with their freeways being built late, because Phoenix built their freeways way late after the Interstate Highway Defense Act, their freeways are engineered later which corrected most mistakes that engineers made such as having too many exits in a span of 1 miles. Interstate 17 in Phoenix is a good example of the issues engineers back such not spacing out lanes really, and low clearances underpasses.

kernals12

Quote from: MisterRoadgeek on July 31, 2022, 07:54:31 PM
I mean Phoenix Light Traffic probably has to do with their freeways being built late, because Phoenix built their freeways way late after the Interstate Highway Defense Act, their freeways are engineered later which corrected most mistakes that engineers made such as having too many exits in a span of 1 miles. Interstate 17 in Phoenix is a good example of the issues engineers back such not spacing out lanes really, and low clearances underpasses.

I think the real reason is how decentralized their job centers are.

Roadwarriors79

Sonic99

I drove out in the West Valley the other day and saw the extension of the Northern Parkway appears very close to completion as well. Now if they can build it in the rest of the way to the 101, that would be great!
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Alps

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 02, 2022, 11:04:50 AM
AZ 24 is almost ready to open:

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/AZDOT/bulletins/3263a24
How did Arizona ever arrive at the number 24 for this highway? So out of character for them.

kernals12

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: Sonic99 on August 02, 2022, 08:04:46 PM
I drove out in the West Valley the other day and saw the extension of the Northern Parkway appears very close to completion as well. Now if they can build it in the rest of the way to the 101, that would be great!

It will be interesting to see if Northern Parkway keeps more of its freeway characteristics the closer it gets to Loop 101.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Alps on August 02, 2022, 08:42:12 PM
How did Arizona ever arrive at the number 24 for this highway? So out of character for them.

They ran out of numbers higher than 60, other than 94.  94 has never been assigned to either a state or US highway.  All others between 60 and 99 are or have been assigned at one time or another. 

I don't know this for sure, but maybe their policy is to use lower digits strictly for non-loop freeways, such as AZ 24, 30, and 51 that are being used today or will be in the near future, and AZ 48 and 50 that have since been discontinued.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

kurumi

Quote from: Alps on August 02, 2022, 08:42:12 PM
Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 02, 2022, 11:04:50 AM
AZ 24 is almost ready to open:

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/AZDOT/bulletins/3263a24

There's a great Mr. Show mafia sketch where the Don is convinced 24 is the highest number, and it's fatal to contradict him. Unfortunately, it's been taken off Youtube and the sites that still have it look a little sketchy. For me, hearing 24 always reminds me of that skit.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JoePCool14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 25, 2022, 09:26:44 PM
FWIW pre-beautification AZ 51 was a magnet for vandalism just as many freeways of it's vintage tend to be.  Unattractive designs tend to breed/encourage things like vandalism and stuff like dumping of trash.  For the most part I think one can draw some conclusions that utilizing an appealing design aesthetic saves on the back in mitigation of vandalism costs.  If something looks cared for and maintained, it tends to deter things like vandalism.

The 6th St bridge in Los Angeles would like to have a word with that.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 03, 2022, 12:07:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 25, 2022, 09:26:44 PM
FWIW pre-beautification AZ 51 was a magnet for vandalism just as many freeways of it's vintage tend to be.  Unattractive designs tend to breed/encourage things like vandalism and stuff like dumping of trash.  For the most part I think one can draw some conclusions that utilizing an appealing design aesthetic saves on the back in mitigation of vandalism costs.  If something looks cared for and maintained, it tends to deter things like vandalism.

The 6th St bridge in Los Angeles would like to have a word with that.

Questionable if that Postmodern design is actually appealing...

kernals12

I-17 at Thomas Drive; March 1973 vs October 2015

It looks like 2 more lanes did in fact fix traffic.

KeithE4Phx

To nitpick, that's "Thomas Road," not "Thomas Drive."  All the one-mile-grid thoroughfares between McDowell and Bethany Home are Roads.  :-P
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

kernals12

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 03, 2022, 09:45:22 PM
To nitpick, that's "Thomas Road," not "Thomas Drive."  All the one-mile-grid thoroughfares between McDowell and Bethany Home are Roads.  :-P

Maybe it's my appreciation for Luke Bryan's music that caused that error

Roadwarriors79

kernals12

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 12, 2022, 02:39:58 AM
The AZ 24 extension is open, as of Thursday, August 11:

https://azdot.gov/adot-news/adot-opens-new-stretch-sr-24-east-williams-field-road
Just in time. The first subdivision in Superstition Vistas is getting built.

Pink Jazz

Looks like Gilbert has been introducing new dark blue illuminated street blades with a custom font. Early versions had their town logo in color, but the newest installations now have their logo in a white outline. Chandler has had its distinctive brown illuminated street blades for years, and Mesa in recent years has introduced branding to its street blades at signalized intersections, so Gilbert is now following suit.

Bigmikelakers

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 12, 2022, 12:26:02 PM
Looks like Gilbert has been introducing new dark blue illuminated street blades with a custom font. Early versions had their town logo in color, but the newest installations now have their logo in a white outline. Chandler has had its distinctive brown illuminated street blades for years, and Mesa in recent years has introduced branding to its street blades at signalized intersections, so Gilbert is now following suit.

Where have you seen the new Gilbert street blades? I live in Queen Creek and wish they would brand their street signs/blades like most cities do.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on August 16, 2022, 08:20:52 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 12, 2022, 12:26:02 PM

Where have you seen the new Gilbert street blades? I live in Queen Creek and wish they would brand their street signs/blades like most cities do.

They are on the illuminated signs at the traffic lights. Most of them are in South Gilbert, although some have recently started to pop up north of the 202.

The Ghostbuster

Now that AZ 24 extends to Ironwood Rd. (even though it is a service road connection), are there any updates on when it will connect with the future Pinal North—South Freeway? Or is construction of that freeway a very long way off?

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 17, 2022, 12:49:23 PM
Now that AZ 24 extends to Ironwood Rd. (even though it is a service road connection), are there any updates on when it will connect with the future Pinal North—South Freeway? Or is construction of that freeway a very long way off?

It's still years away, as are any freeway upgrades to AZ 24.  The final route was announced a year ago, but Tier 2 environmental studies still need to be done before construction contracts are awarded.  Those studies are not yet funded.

DJStephens

By the looks of the photo in the ADOT link, they did not build complete interchanges at N-S cross roads.   Rather ended the mainlanes at either side, and funneled traffic up ramps at each N-S future interchange.   At least the thing has a decent median, if they ever needed to widen the thing.   

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: DJStephens on August 17, 2022, 07:08:07 PM

By the looks of the photo in the ADOT link, they did not build complete interchanges at N-S cross roads.   Rather ended the mainlanes at either side, and funneled traffic up ramps at each N-S future interchange.   At least the thing has a decent median, if they ever needed to widen the thing.   

They built the interchange ramps to the connecting roads, but not the overpasses.  The overpasses will be added later, making AZ 24 a full freeway.  This is common in metro Phoenix.  They still exist on the 303 west of I-17, although this will be upgraded to a full freeway starting next year, IIRC.  However, none of the streets that will connect to it (35th, 43rd, and 67th Aves) have been extended that far north yet. 

AZ 51 started out this way, too, back in the '80s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.