News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: I-39 on May 09, 2022, 05:31:22 PMWhen are they going to start demolishing the cash lane plazas systemwide?
Probably never, on the odd chance they reverse their decision not to have manned toll plazas.  Or they decide to install machines that take cash and credit/debit cards.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 10, 2022, 09:49:57 AM
Quote from: I-39 on May 09, 2022, 05:31:22 PMWhen are they going to start demolishing the cash lane plazas systemwide?
Probably never, on the odd chance they reverse their decision not to have manned toll plazas.  Or they decide to install machines that take cash and credit/debit cards.
They need to move to an EOE like setup with lot's of tolling points. To make the pricing more even.

lstone19

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 10, 2022, 01:49:30 PM
They need to move to an EOE like setup with lot's of tolling points. To make the pricing more even.

The tolling on the legacy roads has become a hot mess as they add ramp tolls every time they improve one even when they don't fit the general tolling structure.

For instance, I-90 WB: Enter at I-290 or IL-59 and pay not toll to enter but enter at Roselle Rd. or Barrington Rd. (in between I-290 and IL-59) and pay $0.45 (I-Pass rate) to enter. Exit at IL-47 and pay $0.30 to exit but go another five miles to US 20 and pay nothing to exit. Combine that with unequal tolls between directions (I-290 and IL-59 have $0.30 EB exit tolls but as just mentioned above, no WB enterance tolls. And plenty more examples can be found.

Joe The Dragon

You can ride free from IL 132 to IL-21 both ways ON I-294

hobsini2

What they should do is restructure the points where you are influenced by the mainline tolls on the older tollways. For example, on I-88, Rt 59 is the current (and correct) division of influence.
I would do it as follows:

I-88 Reagan (E-W) Twy
York/Meyers I-290 to Rt 59
Aurora Rt 59 to Rt 47
DeKalb Rt 47 to I-39/US 51
Dixon I-39 to US 30

I-90 Jane Addams (NW) Twy
River/Devon I-190/Kennedy Expy to I-290/Rt 53
Elgin I-290/Rt 53 to Rt 47
Marengo/Belvidere Rt 47 to I-39/US 20/US 51
South Beloit I-39/US 20/US 51 to Rockton Rd
(Honestly, they should move the South Beloit Toll to south of Riverside Blvd. and make it Rockford or do a split direction like they did with Marengo/Belvidere with the plazas at the current South Beloit for Northwestbound and south of Riverside Blvd for Southeastbound)

I-94/I-294/I-80 Tri State Twy
163rd St I-94/Rt 394 to Rt 50 Cicero Ave/127th St
83rd/82nd Rt 50 Cicero Ave/127th St to I-55
Cermak I-55 to I-290
Irving Park/Touhy I-290 to Willow Rd
*NEW Half Day Willow Rd to Rt 132 Grand Ave (This would include the Edens Spur Plaza at Pfingsten Rd. I would put this just north of Rt 22 Half Day Rd)
Waukegan Rt 132 Grand Ave to US 41

I-355 Veterans Memorial (N-S) Twy
Spring Creek I-80 to I-55
Boughton I-55 to I-88
Army Trail I-88 to I-290 (the free section north of Army Trail remains free for now)
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

lstone19

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 10, 2022, 08:21:36 PM
Army Trail I-88 to I-290 (the free section north of Army Trail remains free for now)

The section of I-355 north of Army Trail Rd. is free because it's not and never has been part of the tollway. It was built by IDOT years before the I-355 tollway was built. It was originally part of IL-53 which then moved over to its current route at Army Trail Rd. When the I-355 tollway opened, IL-53 was moved back to its original route on Rohlwing Rd. from Biesterfield Rd. south.

hobsini2

Quote from: lstone19 on May 10, 2022, 08:38:57 PM

The section of I-355 north of Army Trail Rd. is free because it's not and never has been part of the tollway. It was built by IDOT years before the I-355 tollway was built. It was originally part of IL-53 which then moved over to its current route at Army Trail Rd. When the I-355 tollway opened, IL-53 was moved back to its original route on Rohlwing Rd. from Biesterfield Rd. south.
I'm well aware of that. I remember the days when the 53 stub ended at Army Trail.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JoePCool14

I disagree. I think in the not-so-distant future, we will begin to see mainline cash plazas be removed.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

lstone19

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 10, 2022, 09:03:46 PM
Quote from: lstone19 on May 10, 2022, 08:38:57 PM

I'm well aware of that. I remember the days when the 53 stub ended at Army Trail.

Sorry, but it wasn't clear you knew that since earlier you said the area of influence for the Army Trail toll should be I-88 to I-290 implying that you thought the section between Army Trail Rd. and I-290 was part of the Tollway.

Personally, I wish they would have put the I-Pass scanners on all entrances and exits so that a per mile toll could then be calculated based on where you entered and exited. Interestingly, quite a few years ago I was on an Oklahoma toll road (Cherokee Turnpike) that did that even though the cash tolls were handled on a traditional mainline toll with ramp tolls for those operating short of the mainline toll. There were scanners at all entrances and exits that were meaningless to cash payers (unless co-located with a ramp cash ttoll) and transponder holders bypassed the mainline toll.

ET21

One thing I've noticed though is some of their side toll plaza conversions are ruining the traffic flow. For example, the NB 294 Touhy Ave exit is now the far right lane (the feeder ramp from I-90 WB to I-294 NB). Instead of keeping it the two right lanes, its now only the far right which during rush hour has caused quite a few near misses and unnecessary backups because you're also dealing with people coming from WB I-90.

Another one is its only one lane now entering WB I-90 from both NB/SB 294. You have three lanes converging to one when the old setup was two lanes that then fed into the Lee St Toll Plaza for the far right lane and I-90 or the plaza in the second right lane. Haven't used it enough but muscle memory the last time had me driving on the newly painted shoulder instead of the far right lane like I used to for many years.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

skluth

Quote from: ET21 on May 11, 2022, 09:47:36 AM
One thing I've noticed though is some of their side toll plaza conversions are ruining the traffic flow. For example, the NB 294 Touhy Ave exit is now the far right lane (the feeder ramp from I-90 WB to I-294 NB). Instead of keeping it the two right lanes, its now only the far right which during rush hour has caused quite a few near misses and unnecessary backups because you're also dealing with people coming from WB I-90.

Another one is its only one lane now entering WB I-90 from both NB/SB 294. You have three lanes converging to one when the old setup was two lanes that then fed into the Lee St Toll Plaza for the far right lane and I-90 or the plaza in the second right lane. Haven't used it enough but muscle memory the last time had me driving on the newly painted shoulder instead of the far right lane like I used to for many years.

The problem there is not the side toll plazas. The problem is bad highway design, basically building the new side plazas without taking into account the rest of the traffic flow.

abefroman329

Quote from: skluth on May 11, 2022, 10:43:50 AM

The problem there is not the side toll plazas. The problem is bad highway design, basically building the new side plazas without taking into account the rest of the traffic flow.
This particular issue is a result of the fact that they only left one lane open at each toll plaza.  Which probably works fine for, say, the Elgin toll plaza on I-90, but not so much at all of the toll plazas where everyone who is exiting at the next exit (I-294 south at Irving Park, I-294 north at Touhy, etc.).

dvferyance

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 11, 2022, 08:16:31 AM

I disagree. I think in the not-so-distant future, we will begin to see mainline cash plazas be removed.
I could see it happening by 2030.

JoePCool14

Quote from: skluth on May 11, 2022, 10:43:50 AM

Bingo. The ramps merging from I-90 to I-294 northbound are horrendous, especially the loop ramp if you're coming from the eastbound lanes. Very slow, little room to merge, and then there's another merge ahead you have to contend with. This is further compounded by the toll plaza and high traffic volumes.

I would like to see if something could be done here someday. Rip out the cash lanes and create a C/D system to handle incoming I-90 traffic to I-294 north with the extra space perhaps...

Revive 755

I don't think the mainline cash plazas will be removed unless there is a widening/reconstruction project that requires modifying the plazas or the plazas develop safety/structural issues that require them to be removed.

I don't think any of the cash plazas are being removed with the I-294 rebuild.

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 11, 2022, 10:48:15 PM

I don't think the mainline cash plazas will be removed unless there is a widening/reconstruction project that requires modifying the plazas or the plazas develop safety/structural issues that require them to be removed.

I don't think any of the cash plazas are being removed with the I-294 rebuild.

Why wouldn't they remove them eventually if they aren't going to use them? They won't want to pay to maintain unused space forever.

ilpt4u

Weigh Stations, perhaps?

Historically, the Cash booths also had (supposedly) scales built into the lanes for truck weighs. I assume the I-Pass/EZ-Pass Express lanes have Weigh-in-Motion technology

But non-equipped trucks are not getting weighed anymore, are they?

Other possibilities: Truck Parking. More 7-Elevens? Drive Thru only McDonalds or Starbucks? Salt Domes and/or Maintenance Vehicle/Equipment parking?

Joe The Dragon

some of them all Maintenance depots as well.

ET21

Some updated 294 things I saw this weekend (might be repeating a few things, apologies)

Northbound 294:
-Same split between 82nd Toll and the Mile Long remains, however the official 88th Ave ramp construction has begun with expansion beginning on the bridge. The WB Archer Ave to NB 294 ramp also looks to be almost ready to go.

-Another split between 75th and I-55, two left express, two right for an exit only lane. 3 lanes go from there to Hinsdale Oasis. New ramp beams for the I-55 to NB 294/Oasis are up and bridge work has begun. Plainfield Rd bridge work continues, the Oasis structure is gone minus the bridge structure over the highway.

-The new pedestrian bridge path work has begun, railroad bridge work continues but its looking almost completed. Ogden Ave work hasn't had much movement yet. Clearing work continues to expand the NB lanes between Ogden and I-88, including work on the 31st St bridge.

-No major changes at I-290/88. New bridge piers have gone up in recent weeks. NB 294 to WB 290 ramp work continues. St. Charles Rd bridge work continues.

-No noticeable changes between North Ave and Wolf Rd. Pier work continues for the 490 interchange, you can actually see steel beams in place on piers just north of the highway. NB lanes split (2 left, 2 right) at Wolf Rd. The left two lanes split again at the Bensenville bridge with one going contraflow.

Southbound 294:
-Inner lane reworks continue between O'Hare and North Ave. Center median work is especially noticeable at the Grand Ave curve. The lanes split (1 left, 3 right) just after North Ave.

-Center median work between Roosevelt Rd and the Cermak Toll.

-Nothing major between Cermak and the Hinsdale Oasis (see NB notes for the railroad/Oasis work). Two right lanes are exit only for I-55, three left for the highway. The I-55 ramp did get new signage again approaching the toll.

-Three lanes from Plainfield Road to just past I-55, then again from 75th St to LaGrange Road as cement work begins on the new SB bridge.

-A new split from 82nd St to 95th as work begins on the SB right lanes/medians (3 left, one right). That right lane is 95th St exit access and have already seen vehicles in the right express lane slow to a crawl thinking they can exit. Tollway set up those white median markers and a full barrel wall to prevent crossovers.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hobsini2

Quote from: ET21 on June 12, 2022, 11:09:15 PM
Some updated 294 things I saw this weekend (might be repeating a few things, apologies)

Northbound 294:
-Same split between 82nd Toll and the Mile Long remains, however the official 88th Ave ramp construction has begun with expansion beginning on the bridge. The WB Archer Ave to NB 294 ramp also looks to be almost ready to go.

-Another split between 75th and I-55, two left express, two right for an exit only lane. 3 lanes go from there to Hinsdale Oasis. New ramp beams for the I-55 to NB 294/Oasis are up and bridge work has begun. Plainfield Rd bridge work continues, the Oasis structure is gone minus the bridge structure over the highway.

-The new pedestrian bridge path work has begun, railroad bridge work continues but its looking almost completed. Ogden Ave work hasn't had much movement yet. Clearing work continues to expand the NB lanes between Ogden and I-88, including work on the 31st St bridge.

-No major changes at I-290/88. New bridge piers have gone up in recent weeks. NB 294 to WB 290 ramp work continues. St. Charles Rd bridge work continues.

-No noticeable changes between North Ave and Wolf Rd. Pier work continues for the 490 interchange, you can actually see steel beams in place on piers just north of the highway. NB lanes split (2 left, 2 right) at Wolf Rd. The left two lanes split again at the Bensenville bridge with one going contraflow.

Southbound 294:
-Inner lane reworks continue between O'Hare and North Ave. Center median work is especially noticeable at the Grand Ave curve. The lanes split (1 left, 3 right) just after North Ave.

-Center median work between Roosevelt Rd and the Cermak Toll.

-Nothing major between Cermak and the Hinsdale Oasis (see NB notes for the railroad/Oasis work). Two right lanes are exit only for I-55, three left for the highway. The I-55 ramp did get new signage again approaching the toll.

-Three lanes from Plainfield Road to just past I-55, then again from 75th St to LaGrange Road as cement work begins on the new SB bridge.

-A new split from 82nd St to 95th as work begins on the SB right lanes/medians (3 left, one right). That right lane is 95th St exit access and have already seen vehicles in the right express lane slow to a crawl thinking they can exit. Tollway set up those white median markers and a full barrel wall to prevent crossovers.
Actually on Ogden Ave itself, they do have it down to 1 lane each way over 294. Had that in place last weekend.

dvferyance

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 15, 2021, 09:00:17 AM
Quote from: US20IL64 on September 15, 2021, 01:06:39 AM
Hope they can build more trumpet type Oases, with room for 5 lanes under ramps.

As much as I'd love this, I don't think the tollway can legally–or has any interest in–construct new oases. The ones that we have are all we'll have. Best to support them while they're there.

Also, regarding the DeKalb oasis: that one is very interesting for the mere fact it's different from the rest in the system. I got my first chance to visit it over the summer. The layout inside is very weird, and unfortunately there's lots of empty space. There is one nice seating area where you can sit right outside the Interstate which is cool.
Why couldn't they from a legal perspective? It may be true that at least at the moment they aren't interested in building new ones but I don't see why there would be any law against it. I wish they would at least rebuild one I miss stopping at O Hare or Hinsdale it would be my first break. Lake Forest is too early and Lincoln is quite a stretch. I was on the Tri State last weekend and it wasn't fun having to wait until Lincon for a break. Another think I also don't like about that Oasis is merging on to the interstate the lane becomes an exit only lane and you don't have much time to get back on the mainline.

Great Lakes Roads

Just looked at the plans for the removal of the manual lanes on NB I-294 at Plaza 41 (163rd Street) to accommodate some truck parking as well as a new toll gantry for the ramp from I-80 eastbound to I-294 northbound & the truck parking.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that the Tollway needs more truck parking along its system, and this will be the first one that is being implemented on the Illinois Tollway system.

https://www.illinoistollwaybidding.com/jobs/4868/details/i-22-4855-northbound-plaza-41-truck-parking-plaza-improvements

JoePCool14

Converting old toll plazas into truck parking, or even parking for regular vehicles, is a great idea. It makes me wonder if they'll do this in other places eventually.

lstone19

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 08, 2022, 09:04:11 AM
Converting old toll plazas into truck parking, or even parking for regular vehicles, is a great idea. It makes me wonder if they'll do this in other places eventually.

Haven't figured out why they still have one lane open through the old cash plazas since all the high-speed plazas are now "I-Pass or Pay by Plate." I think it's been long enough for almost everyone to know there is no more cash collection.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 08, 2022, 09:04:11 AM
some are part of maintenance areas right now maybe make the maintenance areas bigger.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.