News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Roads named for businesses which no longer exist (there)

Started by briantroutman, July 01, 2016, 11:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elsmere241

Quote from: mrcmc888 on November 11, 2021, 10:21:42 PM
Odd one in Newark, DE.  I don't know if Chrysler Ave ever reached the plant that closed down in 2008, but regardless, it's still named after that plant.

It is on the far side of the railroad tracks from the former plant's site, but not too far away.  There is also a Plymouth Drive a bit to the south from the site.

One common thing in northern New Castle County is for an apartment complex to change names, but the internal street keeps the old name.

mgk920

There is no longer a Ramada Inn on Ramada Way in Green Bay (Ashwaubenon), WI.

Mike

kphoger

I see a pattern developing...

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on June 27, 2020, 04:13:47 PM
Also, there is Ramada Drive at Falls Church, Virginia, even though there is a Westin there now.

Quote from: zzcarp on September 22, 2020, 12:55:25 PM
Ramada Street in Sandusky, Ohio. There used to be a Ramada Inn that (I believe) is now a Days Inn. It's mostly an access to Walmart and an abandoned movie theater.

Quote from: mgk920 on September 22, 2022, 12:58:41 PM
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

Mike

Was there ever a Radisson on Radisson St. on Green Bay's east side?

GaryV

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 22, 2022, 01:09:07 PM
Was the street named after the French explorer. Pierre-Esprit Radisson?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: GaryV on September 22, 2022, 01:53:45 PM

Could be. Although he was never in the Green Bay area and it is a pretty non-descript street right off the highway, which is why I thought it was named after a hotel that no longer exists there.

Dirt Roads

Westinghouse Road in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  Westinghouse sold their combustion turbine plant to Siemens, then the plant was run by Turbocare (which appears to have been a joint venture with Siemens at one time), and now the plant is home of a whole bunch of turbine-related industries.  All of this is complicated by the fact that if you ask the old-timers about the Westinghouse plant in Winston-Salem, they will send you over to the old Chatham Mills textile complex on Northwest Boulevard and Chatham Road.  Indeed, the Westinghouse turbine plant actually has a Rural Hall address.

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 22, 2022, 02:24:30 PM

Could be. Although he was never in the Green Bay area and it is a pretty non-descript street right off the highway, which is why I thought it was named after a hotel that no longer exists there.

From what I'm reading, Radisson explored the Red Banks area and the Fox River along with Jean Nicolet and Medart Grosellieres (among others).

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS2400
http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/9/nicolet/history/chap1.htm
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2022, 03:11:06 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 22, 2022, 02:24:30 PM

From what I'm reading, Radisson explored the Red Banks area and the Fox River along with Jean Nicolet and Medart Grosellieres (among others).

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS2400
http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/9/nicolet/history/chap1.htm

Well then that's probably it. Thanks for the correction.

I'm thinking he must have started the hotel chain soon after.

NWI_Irish96

The hotel on Marriott Dr in Clarksville, IN, is currently a Radisson and has been a couple other brands since it was a Marriott.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Big John

Mike

No lodging in that area, so no.

kirbykart

The Buffalo China Factory shut down long ago, but Buffalo China Road still exists.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Holly Farms Road in Jetersville, VA. A Tyson chicken hatchery is still there, but Holly Farms no longer exists
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

TheHighwayMan3561

Any "Railroad" street name where a line has been removed.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

D-Dey65

For a long time I thought Grant Smith Road in Coram, New York was named for the W.T. Grant's department store within the Coram Shopping Plaza. The Historic Aerials map of Coram has left me with doubts about that though.

index

Bemberg Rd here in Elizabethton is named after the abandoned factory in view near the Walmart.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

iowahighways

Waterloo, IA, still has a Sears Street and a Penneys Street near Crossroads Mall even though both anchors left that mall during the 2010s.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Avalanchez71

Marriott Drive in Nashville, TN is named after a Marriott that is no longer a Marriott.  The Marriott Nashville Airport was de-flagged and is now a Sonesta.  I believe that this de-flag was a part of the move from SVC and Marriott in a dispute over rebate payments.  None the less, the property is now a Sonesta and not a Marriott.  Therefore the street is named after a business that is no longer there.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/patygRNupbXGF5K5A
Named for the former Holiday Inn that was on the Car Max lot to the right of the caption.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

X99

Dakota Craft Drive in Rapid City, named for a building supply store of the same name. Roth Trucking now owns the old Dakota Craft building.

Centennial Drive, both on and off Ellsworth AFB, named for the base's old Centennial housing area. The land was leased, the lease wasn't renewed, and the neighborhood was reconnected to outside local roads and renamed Antelope Ridge.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

RoadWarrior56

I have a very small example in Gwinnett County, GA.  Located off of Venture Drive near the I-85/Pleasant Hill Road interchange, is a cul-de-sac street named Day Drive.  It so happened that I prepared the roadway and right-of-way plans for this street in 1983-1984.  This street was named Day Drive by the developer because a Days Inn was constructed at the end of the cul-de-sac.  This hotel has not been a Days Inn for at least 30 years, it is now a Wyndham, and probably remodeled at least once since the hotel was constructed.

SectorZ

Found one today, https://www.google.com/maps/place/451+Daniel+Webster+Hwy,+Bedford,+NH+03110/@42.914326,-71.4597567,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e24c6229aab407:0x65833facd5e01452!8m2!3d42.9145539!4d-71.4591881

Located here was the now defunct chain Somerville Lumber (https://www.nhcompanyregistry.com/companies/somerville-lumber-and-supply/), that had this location in Bedford NH at the junction of US 3 and Somerville Dr. Looking at historic aerials, Somerville Dr did not exist before the lumber yard did.

formulanone

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 01, 2022, 06:36:54 PM
Marriott Drive in Nashville, TN is named after a Marriott that is no longer a Marriott.  The Marriott Nashville Airport was de-flagged and is now a Sonesta.  I believe that this de-flag was a part of the move from SVC and Marriott in a dispute over rebate payments.  None the less, the property is now a Sonesta and not a Marriott.  Therefore the street is named after a business that is no longer there.

A lot of older Residence Inn properties were picked up by Sonesta in the last few years. These were some of my favorite hotels to stay at, but the prices for Residence Inns started escalating out of range, so I get them maybe 1-2 times a year., especially as the Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites are in the same portfolio and generally cost less, while still serving my wants and needs from a hotel stay.

Many older Residence Inns had an "apartment" style, with detached buildings and plenty of space to spare, sometimes even two floors for the same "room". Many of them became apartment complexes. Some of them were a little out of date, having doors opening to the outside, but you really felt like you really lived in the area...quite a deal for the money. I haven't seen one of these styles of Residence Inns in many years, probably last stayed at one like it 8-9 years ago. My guess is that these properties were like 20-25 years old, and it wasn't worth the upkeep unless you were in a market of timeshare or resort-style properties.

A lot of Sonesta Suites were the apartment block-style hotels, with 2-3 floors and several larger rooms which had kitchenettes and a bedroom (or two), and a decent bit of open living space between the two areas, which doubled as extra living space. These were still generally more space than any one solo traveler or couple needed, though they were great for families. Many of them are still in Marriott's hands, but I'd imagine that they let go of these eventually.

The more modern Residence Inn hotels (built within the last 8 years or so) are predominantly smaller rooms with a kitchenette, and a smaller living room space; basically just a couch. They're a little more fancy and modern, but honestly no different than a half-dozen other sub-brands' hotels. And it's fine, they seem a little classier than the average Hampton/Holiday Inn...But I miss the extra space, mostly because you hear less noises from other rooms and hallways.

cwf1701

Quote from: rellis97 on January 27, 2021, 09:55:06 PM
I'm not sure if this counts, but "Steve Yzerman Dr" runs around the south side of the former Detroit Red Wings hockey arena, Joe Louis Arena in downtown Detroit. Steve Yzerman was captain of the Red Wings and played for the team from 1983 to 2006. However, Joe Louis Arena was recently demolished beginning in the spring of 2019 and was replaced by Little Caesars Arena, the new home of the Detroit Red Wings, on the north end of downtown, at Woodward Avenue (M-1) and the Fisher Freeway (I-75).
Although "Steve Yzerman" was not the name of a business, his name is synonymous with Joe Louis Arena and the Detroit Red Wings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3254748,-83.0526199,3a,67.1y,100.24h,89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0UUNtfE29LDjka8MhV40xw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

and correct me if i am wrong, but also in Detroit, wasn't Cochrane St. near the former site of Tiger Stadium named for the Tiger manager from the 1930s?

index

After running an errand there this week, reminded me to post this here:

Not an exact match, but Walton Dr in Wadesboro, NC has been left without a Walmart since COVID shut everything down and they left town.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.