News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 55/ Crump Boulevard Interchange

Started by Grzrd, May 26, 2017, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

davewiecking

Quote from: bwana39 on March 23, 2022, 08:22:38 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on March 23, 2022, 11:17:47 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on March 23, 2022, 08:33:45 AM
is there a better map of the new design?

Final EIS:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/documents/region-4-documents/interstate-55-crump-boulevard-interchange/Approved-I-55Interchange-FinalEIS_6-28-2011.pdf

Let us remember the date on this document is 6-2011.

The EIS may be pushing 11 years old, but it's the approved one, and the Hershey's parking lot has already been reconfigured for the selected Z-1 alignment.

silverback1065

i like this alternative. least amount of r/w needed and doesnt look like any homes will be taken so that won't hold it up either. doesnt look like this can be built with 55 open the whole time though.

The Ghostbuster

TNDOT should get off their lazy butts and reconfigure this interchange already! They shouldn't put it off any longer. Just like the under-reconstruction Interstate 26/240 interchange at Patton Ave. in Asheville, North Carolina, one should not have to exit to remain on the mainline Interstate.

bwana39

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 24, 2022, 08:16:03 AM
i like this alternative. least amount of r/w needed and doesnt look like any homes will be taken so that won't hold it up either. doesn't look like this can be built with 55 open the whole time though.

I really don't see why not. At least not closed over a few days (perhaps a weekend or two). I think I could have built it less expensively than this design.

First you build the ramps that will remain for US-70/78. They flank the entry and exit for north /west end of the flyovers. They tie into the existing intersection which would remain.

You do the same thing for the southern end. They tie in to the existing intersection. It MIGHT require a one lane in each direction but I think a 2x2 could fit.

Once the flyovers are built, the ramps could be used as the Riverside / Crump intersection with each other as well as I-55.
Wish I had software to draw it out. It would work and would reduce the short-term costs by 40% more or less.

Plutonic Panda

Hopefully they build it to be stripped as a 3x3 if/when the bridge is replaced.

bwana39

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 25, 2022, 12:05:05 AM

I do not believe they will EVER build a replacement bridge for I-55 at this location.  It is probably as much why they haven't replaced the intersection, because if they build a new bridge (in a different place) the M&A Bridge would become US-79 and not I-55 again.

If the replacement bridge were built further south, the rework of the intersection would become moot.

So no 3x3 intersection should or will be built

edwaleni

Quote from: bwana39 on March 26, 2022, 10:07:55 PM

I do not believe they will EVER build a replacement bridge for I-55 at this location.  It is probably as much why they haven't replaced the intersection, because if they build a new bridge (in a different place) the M&A Bridge would become US-79 and not I-55 again.

If the replacement bridge were built further south, the rework of the intersection would become moot.

I seriously doubt TnDOT even knows what they are going to do at this point. 

It took 11 years from EIS to funding for this stretch. If they agree to "give it up" it will probably be in a horse trade for something else.

bwana39

Quote from: edwaleni on March 27, 2022, 02:05:43 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on March 26, 2022, 10:07:55 PM

I seriously doubt TnDOT even knows what they are going to do at this point. 

It took 11 years from EIS to funding for this stretch. If they agree to "give it up" it will probably be in a horse trade for something else.

The real tough part is FUNDING. TDOT announced a start date at least twice before then never did anything. The funding was in place, then they reallocated it (or this project was the victim of the choice of how to distribute funds in an  overall funding shortfall.)

The Hernando DeSoto Bridge problem PROBABLY makes them realize they should not continue to put it off. Then again, this is the state of Tennessee and their ways of dealing with Memphis.

cbalducc

Memphis has no political clout anymore?

The Ghostbuster

I guess not. Maybe Tennessee's DOT should give the city of Memphis some more love and attention.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: cbalducc on March 28, 2022, 05:38:29 PM

Not since the Boss Crump (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._H._Crump) days, and the situation has only gotten worse with the increased political polarization in the country due to the political makeup of Memphis vs the state as a whole.

brad2971

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on March 28, 2022, 08:05:45 PM

Not since the Boss Crump (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._H._Crump) days, and the situation has only gotten worse with the increased political polarization in the country due to the political makeup of Memphis vs the state as a whole.

Well, what stance does FedEx have toward a third Mississippi River bridge, or the Crump Blvd interchange, and have they done their own lobbying in Nashville for either? FedEx, after all, is the corporate power in Memphis, even if its CEO (Fred Smith) doesn't want to act like it at times.

WalMart eventually got Arkansas to pay attention regarding building I-49 through NWA; there's no reason why FedEx can't do the same for its hometown.

bwana39

Quote from: brad2971 on March 28, 2022, 08:37:52 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on March 28, 2022, 08:05:45 PM

Well, what stance does FedEx have toward a third Mississippi River bridge, or the Crump Blvd interchange, and have they done their own lobbying in Nashville for either? FedEx, after all, is the corporate power in Memphis, even if its CEO (Fred Smith) doesn't want to act like it at times.

WalMart eventually got Arkansas to pay attention regarding building I-49 through NWA; there's no reason why FedEx can't do the same for its hometown.

FedEx seems to be rather low key politically even in its home town. UPS at least makes it known they are from Louisville.

Quote repaired.  --J.N.W.

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 28, 2022, 07:54:03 PM
I guess not. Maybe Tennessee's DOT should give the city of Memphis some more love and attention.

Not sure on that. The entire I-269 bypass was a considerable investment by TnDOT.

If TnDOT asked the powers that be 25 years ago, what do you prefer, a massive loop bypass or a Crump Redux with a MA Bridge replacement?

I-840 spend got delayed significantly and took 25 years to finish, I am sure that had some impact to how much could be spent in the Memphis metro.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: brad2971 on March 28, 2022, 08:37:52 PMWell, what stance does FedEx have toward a third Mississippi River bridge, or the Crump Blvd interchange, and have they done their own lobbying in Nashville for either? FedEx, after all, is the corporate power in Memphis

....and that doesn't translate to much in Tennessee politics.

At the moment, Ford might have more political clout, although that political capital is mostly being spent with the new "megasite" development in Haywood County.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Brooks

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 04, 2022, 02:33:25 PM
TDOT actually awarded a $141 million contract to reconstruct the I-55/Crump interchange.

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2022/4/1/tdot-awards-contract-to-improve-i-55-and-crump-interchange-.html
As recently as a few days ago, TDOT estimated the project would be complete by October 2026 but now they are saying Q1 of 2025. Then again, phase 1 of the Lamar Avenue project was supposed to be complete last November, so I guess we'll eventually find out.

wriddle082

I'm very glad that Bell and Associates won the contract.  They seem to do quality work, and efficiently.  I remember one of their first TDOT contracts about 20 years ago was rebuilding the I-65 Harding Place (TN 255) interchange and replacing the old four lane Harding Place bridge over CSX Radnor Yards with a massive 11-lane wide bridge.  Bell and Associates won awards for their work.  I think they also built both phases of the I-40/Briley Pkwy/White Bridge Rd interchange reconstruction (including the huge flyovers) starting in the mid-00's.

I wish they would bid on contracts in the Carolinas.  Anything to get rid of Archer Western and Blythe, who have been screwing up road projects in this region for years.

edwaleni

Quote from: wriddle082 on April 04, 2022, 02:52:25 PM
I'm very glad that Bell and Associates won the contract.  They seem to do quality work, and efficiently.  I remember one of their first TDOT contracts about 20 years ago was rebuilding the I-65 Harding Place (TN 255) interchange and replacing the old four lane Harding Place bridge over CSX Radnor Yards with a massive 11-lane wide bridge.  Bell and Associates won awards for their work.  I think they also built both phases of the I-40/Briley Pkwy/White Bridge Rd interchange reconstruction (including the huge flyovers) starting in the mid-00's.

I wish they would bid on contracts in the Carolinas.  Anything to get rid of Archer Western and Blythe, who have been screwing up road projects in this region for years.

Is their a thread on AARoads on highway General Contractor's and the quality of their work?

MikeTheActuary

An interesting bit from the award announcement:

QuoteThe I-55 bridge and work zone area could see up to eight weekend full closures from 8:00 P.M. Friday to 6:00 A.M. Monday and two two-week closures will be allowed for work that cannot be performed while maintaining traffic through the worksite.

...which seems more acceptable than the months-long closure they discussed earlier.

codyg1985

I remember Archer Western got into a big beef with ALDOT over schedule delays and quality issues over the I-22/65 interchange in Birmingham. I am not sure that contractor can bid on project with ALDOT anymore.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

wriddle082

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 04, 2022, 03:34:17 PM

I remember Archer Western got into a big beef with ALDOT over schedule delays and quality issues over the I-22/65 interchange in Birmingham. I am not sure that contractor can bid on project with ALDOT anymore.

Archer Western and Blythe have teamed up for the absolute tragedy that is widening I-85 from Spartanburg to the NC line.  SCDOT isn't innocent either by any means, but with partners like that, the only way you can go is down IMO.

silverback1065

since the mississippi river bridge was brought up, is it a remote possibility that 269 will snake into arkansas to make a 3rd bridge for the metro area?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.