News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crown Victoria

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 08, 2022, 10:26:54 PM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on July 08, 2022, 10:29:22 AM
Yesterday, the PA House has overwhemingly passed the latest budget.  Included in that is the restoration of $175M annually out of the annual $500M of the Motor License Fund that goes to the State Police.  Now waiting for the PA Senate...

Sounds like it is a done deal and the Governor signed

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2022/07/08/governor-wolf-45-2-billion-budget-spending-plan-pennsylvania-education-community-safety/stories/202207080120

It will be interesting to see what PennDOT does with the extra $175 million...more resurfacing projects certainly, but that money can also be used to provide better matching of federal funds for larger projects.

Also included in the budget package were new laws regarding P3s...particularly where tolling is concerned. New proposals involving tolling would need to provide much more detail before approval, must have a public comment period, and must be approved unanimously by the board governing P3 projects, before finally being subject to disapproval by the legislature. Any tolls would also have to be optional, meaning tolling of all lanes is out, but managed lanes are ok. The bridge tolling projects can still be advanced, but tolling would only be allowed if the projects are resubmitted under the new law.

*Senate Bill 382 is the P3 reform in question here. It is still awaiting the Governor's signature but passed the Senate unanimously and passed the House with a large majority in its current form.
https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billInfo/billInfo.cfm?sYear=2021&sInd=0&body=S&type=B&bn=0382

Edit: Governor Wolf signed the bill on 7/11/22.

bluecountry

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 06, 2022, 11:12:14 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on July 05, 2022, 01:52:02 PM
Are they ever going to build a full real interchange at Breezewood?

Maybe in the year 3000. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuleEXuULg
Why?

Also, how come the PATP compared to I-68 sucks so much in terms of not really climbing mountain ridges?

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: bluecountry on July 11, 2022, 07:17:22 AM

Why?

Also, how come the PATP compared to I-68 sucks so much in terms of not really climbing mountain ridges?

From what I understand, the locals around the Breezewood area, and/or their representatives in Harrisburg, believe that a proper interchange would cause the businesses in the area to close, causing too much harm to the area's economy.

As far as the Turnpike not climbing as many ridges as I-68, it's mainly because the route chosen back in the 1930s for the Turnpike used tunnels started by the South Pennsylvania Railroad back in the 1880s to pass through some of the mountains. In some other areas, the Turnpike uses gaps in the ridges, such as near Everett and Bedford. I'm not sure that the PA Turnpike "sucks" because of this, but to each their own.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Crown Victoria on July 11, 2022, 11:27:12 PM
As far as the Turnpike not climbing as many ridges as I-68, it's mainly because the route chosen back in the 1930s for the Turnpike used tunnels started by the South Pennsylvania Railroad back in the 1880s to pass through some of the mountains. In some other areas, the Turnpike uses gaps in the ridges, such as near Everett and Bedford. I'm not sure that the PA Turnpike "sucks" because of this, but to each their own.

I also don't know how that would make the Turnpike "suck"
If anything, it's probably a major reason a significantly higher portion of traffic (especially trucks) doesn't shift to I-68 to avoid the tolls.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

thenetwork

Why?

From what I understand, the locals around the Breezewood area, and/or their representatives in Harrisburg, believe that a proper interchange would cause the businesses in the area to close, causing too much harm to the area's economy.

How many true mom & pop businesses are in Breezewood anymore?  Most of those restaurants and hotels that were there 50 years ago have either sold out to the national chains or sold their property altogether.  And most of these brands set up shop at much smaller interstate exits around the country. 

It will always be in a remote enough area where there will always be traffic that will purposely travel that strip to get needed services.  Building an interstate to interstate connection there will only make Breezewood a less-crowded, less stressful thoroughfare.

That's my argument and I'm sticking to it!

famartin

Quote from: thenetwork on July 12, 2022, 07:32:08 PM

Why?

How many true mom & pop businesses are in Breezewood anymore?  Most of those restaurants and hotels that were there 50 years ago have either sold out to the national chains or sold their property altogether.  And most of these brands set up shop at much smaller interstate exits around the country. 

It will always be in a remote enough area where there will always be traffic that will purposely travel that strip to get needed services.  Building an interstate to interstate connection there will only make Breezewood a less-crowded, less stressful thoroughfare.

Its a nice idea, but these days, if doing something has potential to take away local jobs, you can pretty much forget about it...

74/171FAN

Mr_Northside

Quote from: thenetwork on July 12, 2022, 07:32:08 PM

I pretty much agree with that sentiment.   
These days I don't know if it's so much active opposition, as it is local apathy. 

For the most part these days PennDOT - if economically feasible - mostly hears what locals (regionals?) would like, and see what they can do to accommodate it.  (For example - the locals in the Cranberry area really wanted to get rid of the indirect connection between the TPK and I-79, and wanted the direct connection that ended up getting built in the early 2000's).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

74/171FAN

(For PA 49)  PennDOT - District 2 News: Box Culvert Work to Start Soon in Potter County

QuoteBeginning July 25, the box culvert will be closed, and a detour will be in place. The detour will direct drivers to use Route 1008 (Empson Road), Route 1001 (Fox Hill Road), and Route 1003 (Main Street). This detour will be used for two weeks, July 25 through August 11. After the two-week detour is lifted, construction will be completed using roadway flaggers and an alternating traffic pattern.

This work will be a partnership project between Potter County PennDOT Maintenance and Glenn O. Hawbaker, Inc. of State College. PennDOT will remove the existing structure, prepare the new box, and place back fill after the new box culvert is in place. The contractor will set the new box culvert, rebuild the roadway, install guiderail, and drainage updates, and perform line painting. PennDOT expects project completion by mid-August. All work is weather and schedule dependent. 

(For PA 413)  PennDOT - District 6 News: CSX Railroad to Close Route 413 (Bellevue Avenue) for Track Maintenance in Middletown Township

(For PA 113)  PennDOT - District 6 News: PennDOT To Host Open House for Route 113 (Souderton Road)/Minsi Trail Intersection Safety Improvement Project in Hilltown Township

(For US 202)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Sumneytown Pike to Close at U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike) Beginning August 1 for Roadway Construction in Lower Gwynedd Township

(For PA 173)  PennDOT Announces Plans Display for a Route 173 Intersection Improvement Project in Sandy Lake Township, Mercer County

LilianaUwU

It seems like the Goat Path Expressway might actually be partially built?!

https://www.wgal.com/article/abandoned-road-project-goat-path-will-be-finished-lancaster-county-pennsylvania/40615160?fbclid=IwAR1vgOHeckl8Yt4ZY757AGrNhaPxnetqMXHg0IcT6J1a_F8WqvPyO9kwogw

(Correction: only 1.2 miles will be built as a 2-lane highway according to the article. Still, it's surprising it's getting done in any capacity.)
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Alps

Quote from: LilianaUwU on July 14, 2022, 02:09:32 PM
It seems like the Goat Path Expressway might actually be partially built?!

https://www.wgal.com/article/abandoned-road-project-goat-path-will-be-finished-lancaster-county-pennsylvania/40615160?fbclid=IwAR1vgOHeckl8Yt4ZY757AGrNhaPxnetqMXHg0IcT6J1a_F8WqvPyO9kwogw

(Correction: only 1.2 miles will be built as a 2-lane highway according to the article. Still, it's surprising it's getting done in any capacity.)
As long as they don't get rid of the stub interchange on 772.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Looking through the CE Expert System, this morning I found plans to make some changes to the I-476 interchange at PA 3.

The project involves improvements to the existing West Chester Pike Interchange with Interstate 476 (I-476).  The proposed improvements include the delineation/separation of the westbound West Chester Pike (SR 0003) Off-Ramp to northbound I-476 On-Ramp from the signalized intersection at South Lawrence Road.  The lane will no longer be controlled by the traffic signal and will be free-flowing.  The northbound I-476 On-Ramp will be restriped and signed to carry two lanes up to the existing ramp metering.  South Lawrence Road will be restriped to include dual left-turn lanes and a right-turn only lane.  A new channelized right-turn lane will be constructed at the intersection of West Chester Pike & I-476 Northbound Off-Ramp/On-Ramp to accommodate vehicles from South Lawrence Road needing to access I-476 Northbound.

A new cantilever overhead lane designation sign structure will be installed along westbound West Chester Pike in the grass median, east of North Lawrence Road.  There are no anticipated temporary or permanent right-of-way acquisitions for this project.  The existing traffic signals at I-476 Northbound Off-Ramp/On-Ramp, South Lawrence Road, North Lawrence Road will be modified as necessary.  The ADA and pedestrian facilities along the corridor will be evaluated and updated, as necessary, to meet current ADA standards.

Work associated with the West Chester Pike bridge over Darby Creek includes removal of the existing concrete median and longitudinal joint deck between Beams B9 and B11; replacement of deck between Beams B9 to B11; and installation of median above beams B4 and B11. Also proposed is the repair of the existing approach slabs; construction of approach slab extensions; and cleanout of scuppers. See attached TS&L Plans for additional details

(For I-81, PA 115, and PA 309) PennDOT - District 4 News: ​Major Traffic Disruptions Expected Today on Interstate 81, SR 115 and SR 309 in Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties

(For US 220)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Route 220 Safety Improvement Project Continues

(For PA 199)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Route 199 Reconstruction Project Continues in Sayre and Athens, Bradford County

(For PA 216)  PennDOT - District 8 News: Emergency Pipe Replacement Planned on Route 216 (Seaks Run Road) in York County

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

sbeaver44

When PennDOT renumbered to mileage-based exits, I'm pretty sure I-283 reversed the direction in which the exit numbers increased.  I believe PA 283 was exits 2W and 2E, PA 441 was Exit 1, and I-83 (in the old PennDOT manner of interstate-to-interstate junctions) was unnumbered.

The way I-283 is makes sense now, PA 283 is the southernmost exit, which is 1A and 1B.  PA 441 is Exit 2, and I-83/US 322 is 3A/3B/3C.

What was the reason that the exit numbering increased going southbound before the switch?  Is this a weird US 230 remnant or something?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.