News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PennDOT plans Erie Bayfront Parkway improvements

Started by ARMOURERERIC, August 12, 2019, 04:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

PennDOT has revealed plans for improvements  to Bayfront Parkway in Erie PA: A grade separated interchange with State Street where the ramps will be in the center, all left side exits and entrances, along with 2 lane rotaries at Sassafrass and Holland.  All 3 locations will get pedestrian  bridges over the parkway.

briantroutman

This project is now moving closer to construction as the US DOT has just allocated a $21 million BUILD grant to the project–which, coupled with the $30 million already committed by the state, brings available funding to $51 million. Construction is expected to begin in 2022.

The Ghostbuster

I know the Bayfront Parkway was never planned to be a freeway, but if it had been, and it was built to Interstate Standards, it could have been numbered Interstate 290 (since the connector is presently PA 290). I'm sure the locals would have gone ballistic if such had been proposed, and it's probably better off the way it is.

skluth

Roadsguy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 11, 2020, 02:58:02 PM
I know the Bayfront Parkway was never planned to be a freeway, but if it had been, and it was built to Interstate Standards, it could have been numbered Interstate 290 (since the connector is presently PA 290). I'm sure the locals would have gone ballistic if such had been proposed, and it's probably better off the way it is.

I'm pretty sure this was actually a proposal at one point, though I have no idea how far along in development it ever got.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ARMOURERERIC

When I was in college, I lived on w7 in downtown erie.  City hall had a 1970 mural about the reception lobby showing the downtown of the future.  It showed bayfront as a freeway going over State with a very tight diamond interchange.

rickmastfan67

Does anybody know if this also reroutes PA-290 onto it (and off of PA-5)?

Only reason I ask, is because somebody on OSM has put PA-290 onto it, and removed it from PA-5 recently.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/89262849

Roadsguy

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 06, 2020, 09:03:13 PM

Only reason I ask, is because somebody on OSM has put PA-290 onto it, and removed it from PA-5 recently.

I noticed that too and asked them about it. They replied with a vague statement that didn't answer my question, so I asked for a source. Haven't heard back, and if I don't by the end of the month I'll revert it. A quick Google search (along with checking ECMS for any projects on SR 0290 that may include references to a reroute) turned up nothing. I'm not getting my hopes up since this same user has been making very dubious edits around the Erie area that I've been cleaning up (e.g. mapping center turn lane roads as dual carriageway, replacing bridges with tunnels, deleting and remaking ways with lost history and fewer tags, and paying seemingly no attention to route relations).
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 07, 2020, 03:52:48 PM

I noticed that too and asked them about it. They replied with a vague statement that didn't answer my question, so I asked for a source. Haven't heard back, and if I don't by the end of the month I'll revert it. A quick Google search (along with checking ECMS for any projects on SR 0290 that may include references to a reroute) turned up nothing. I'm not getting my hopes up since this same user has been making very dubious edits around the Erie area that I've been cleaning up (e.g. mapping center turn lane roads as dual carriageway, replacing bridges with tunnels, deleting and remaking ways with lost history and fewer tags, and paying seemingly no attention to route relations).

If he keeps adding false info, might have to report him then. :(

Roadsguy

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 07, 2020, 08:18:28 PM

If it proves to be a continuous issue, I'll bring it up in the mailing lists and see what course of action would be recommended. I did also tell them to not map non-physically-divided roads as dual carriageway, so we'll see if they listened.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 07, 2020, 09:13:27 PM
I did also tell them to not map non-physically-divided roads as dual carriageway, so we'll see if they listened.

He might be trying to duplicate Google in that aspect then, since Google has a hard-on for doing it that way when they shouldn't be.

74/171FAN

If it proves to be a continuous issue, I'll bring it up in the mailing lists and see what course of action would be recommended. I did also tell them to not map non-physically-divided roads as dual carriageway, so we'll see if they listened.

I was looking in the Lake City/Girard area today in OSM, and I see three new random PA routes (PA 543, PA 980 (already exists west of Pittsburgh along PA 576), and PA 480) that should not be there.  Also something odd happened in New Castle.  I wonder if this may be the same user as before.

Latest update is here:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2410.msg2679114#msg2679114 

Hopefully, I will remember that this thread exists next time there is an update.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 21, 2021, 03:57:47 PM

I was looking in the Lake City/Girard area today in OSM, and I see three new random PA routes (PA 543, PA 980 (already exists west of Pittsburgh along PA 576), and PA 480) that should not be there.  Also something odd happened in New Castle.  I wonder if this may be the same user as before.

Latest update is here:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2410.msg2679114#msg2679114 

Hopefully, I will remember that this thread exists next time there is an update.

I just looked into the PA-980 up there.  Different person.

Just go and fix them if I were you.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 1 News: PennDOT, DMVA Mark Opening of Multimodal Bridge by Pennsylvania Soldiers' and Sailors' Home in Erie County

QuoteThe bridge carries motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists over the CSX railroad tracks that run between the home and the nearby Pennsylvania Soldiers' and Sailors' Cemetery and the Major General Anthony Wayne Blockhouse.

The $2.7 million project is an ancillary project to the Bayfront Parkway Central Corridor Improvement Project, which is expected to get underway later this year.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Looking at ECMS this morning, unofficial plans have been posted for the project.  I looked through the signage plan and saw no indication of any PA Route being put on the Bayfront Pkwy.

ARMOURERERIC

I stopped there on vacation 2 weeks ago, during rush hour the left from the westbound bayfront connector to State street backed up almost to Parade.

74/171FAN

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 11, 2022, 08:29:31 AM
I stopped there on vacation 2 weeks ago, during rush hour the left from the westbound bayfront connector to State street backed up almost to Parade.

Well that intersection will be grade separated so hopefully that will help some.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 21, 2021, 10:55:53 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 21, 2021, 03:57:47 PM

I just looked into the PA-980 up there.  Different person.

Just go and fix them if I were you.

I did go in there and attempt to make these changes today.  I drove in this area Friday and saw no signs along US 20, PA 18, or PA 5 so I should be good on that alone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.