News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

In no particular order, who are the five most famous people you've met?

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, September 21, 2019, 01:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

One I forgot earlier:

Felix Silla (Cousin It from Addams Family, Twiki from Buck Rogers)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 21, 2019, 05:51:34 PM
HRH the Duke of York (Prince Andrew)
Alex Ovechkin
Raisa Gorbachev
Either Rod Rosenstein (long before his service as Deputy Attorney General) or Merrick Garland (likewise, long before his nomination to the Supreme Court)
Marion Barry

I'm on an Amtrak train and NBC's Andrea Mitchell is sitting right behind me. We had a nice conversation while waiting to board. So I might substitute her name for Rod Rosenstein and Merrick Garland on the list above. I suspect she's more recognizable to most people due to her TV role.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 12, 2023, 06:56:39 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 21, 2019, 05:51:34 PM
HRH the Duke of York (Prince Andrew)
Alex Ovechkin
Raisa Gorbachev
Either Rod Rosenstein (long before his service as Deputy Attorney General) or Merrick Garland (likewise, long before his nomination to the Supreme Court)
Marion Barry

I'm on an Amtrak train and NBC's Andrea Mitchell is sitting right behind me. We had a nice conversation while waiting to board. So I might substitute her name for Rod Rosenstein and Merrick Garland on the list above. I suspect she's more recognizable to most people due to her TV role.

Personally, I recognize Rosenstein and Garland more than I do Ovechkin and Gorbechev, but that's probably unique to my situation of only having started consuming political news in 2008 and preferring textual formats to video.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Road Hog

I visit with former Dallas Cowboy legend Randy White a couple of times a week. He's 69 now and owns a ranch not far from my home. Football took a toll, but he's still strong as ever and a full-time grandpa. And a lot nicer than his old perceived persona.

oscar

Surprised I didn't post my short list earlier.

The late U.S. Supreme Court justice Byron White (who made it clear he hated the "Whizzer" nickname from when he played football for the Detroit Lions)

The recently-deceased David Harris, imprisoned for resisting the draft during the Vietnam War, and later ran unsuccessfully for Congress from my northern California district (which was how I met him); perhaps a bit more famous for his marriage to singer Joan Baez

Congressman Allard Lowenstein, when he delivered a speech at my college, shortly before he was assassinated
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SSOWorld

Gallagher (nearly backed into him)
during performance - not a direct meet - George Carlin
can't recall anyone I met directly.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Takumi

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 12, 2023, 09:21:04 PM
Gallagher (nearly backed into him)
during performance - not a direct meet - George Carlin
can't recall anyone I met directly.

I met either Gallagher or his brother on a beach in Florida when I was a child, but I didn't know who either of them was at the time.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

dfilpus

Science Fiction Authors:
  Isaac Asimov
  George R. R. Martin
  Gordon Dickson
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould
Mathematician Richard Hamming

formulanone

Quote from: dfilpus on May 13, 2023, 02:19:10 PMIsaac Asimov

There's one who passed away shorty after I'd "discovered" his work. Would have really liked to meet him.

Got to meet James Spann at a book signing a few weeks back, he's probably a bit more famous to a few forum members here than some of the other names I mentioned.

ran4sh

I'm not sure I could come up with five, but the list at least includes Jo Jorgensen (Libertarian Party 2020 presidential candidate) and Kirby Smart (Head coach of Georgia Bulldogs football since 2016)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Hot Rod Hootenanny

(Yeah, I know its been 8 months plus, but hear me out)
Adding ghosts to my collection of people I've met....
When The Grammys were doing their 'In Memorium' interlude last last, they referenced two people that I've met (long before their passings)
Dick Waterman passed away last week. He was a (blues) music promoter, writer, photographer, and agent. I had the opportunity to meet him twice, once in Clarksdale, Miss in '08 and again in Baton Rouge in '17. I also corresponded with Mr. Waterman numerous times on a blues music list-serve (Blues-L was equivalent to MTR, 20 years ago)
____
Chris Strachwitz passed away in May of last year. He started Arhoolie Records, back in 1960 (and operated it till 2016, when he sold it to the Smithsonian). Chris did more for the recording of folk and ethnic music in 50 years than anyone else.
I met Chris once, in New Orleans (in '08 or '09) at the Ponderosa Stomp.

Anyways, I wasn't expecting to see both men's names listed during the Grammys broadcast last night, so that makes them "famous" in my book.  :clap:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bwana39

George W Bush (3 person convo)
Don Henley (2X)
Gary Richrath (REO SPEEDWAGON)
David Crowder
Deion Sanders

I Met every Texas governor since Briscoe.
Every Texas U.S Senators from the seventies to till now Except for Cruz.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

tmoore952

Joe Biden
John Glenn
Nathan Lane
Brooks Robinson
Suzanne Vega

There are other politicians I have met but I wanted to get some variety in here.

I ran into Biden in a Delaware bookstore when he was still a Senator (around 2004). This was before he would have been surrounded by Secret Service.

John Glenn occurred inside the U.S. Capitol complex in the early '80s when one could enter the Capitol easily. It was actually near the underground subway between the Senate buildings and the Capitol.

vegas1962

In no particular order:
Lee Greenwood
Carrot Top
Sparky Anderson and Al Kaline (and many of the early '80s Detroit Tigers)
Judy Woodruff (NBC News)
Pete Weber and Parker Bohn III (PBA bowlers)

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 22, 2019, 06:55:02 PM
Met some of Dave (Letterman)'s neighbors, but not all at the same time: Mujibur, Sirjul and Rupert Jee of the Hello Deli.

Funny you mention Sirajul and Mujibur.  Once upon a time Letterman sent them on a tour of the country for a couple weeks and each night they would do a remote report for the show from whatever city they happened to be in.  We were on vacation in Las Vegas and happened to run into them while they were in town. They and their crew were setting up in the lobby of the Bally's hotel (now the Horseshoe at the corner of Las Vegas Blvd and Flamingo), miked up and ready to go while waiting for lights and cameras. They were just standing off to the side, minding their own business, and nobody else seemed to know who they were. We were big fans of Letterman at the time and recognized them immediately, so we just walked up and began chatting them up.  Seemed like nice guys.

fhmiii

Cal Ripken (Baltimore Orioles shortstop)
Jimmy Craig (1980 US Olympic Hockey Team)
Dave Silk (1980 US Olympic Hockey Team)
Marco Rubio (US Senator & former Presidential Primary candidate)
Hal Moore (US Army General, war hero, and co-author of "We Were Soldiers Once... and Young")

I could add some folks who have or appear on talk radio, podcasts, and/or the various cable news channels.

Hopefully I'll meet Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, and Mecole Hardman at the parade tomorrow! (yeah, right!)  :-D

kphoger

Quote from: fhmiii on February 13, 2024, 04:44:15 PM
Hopefully I'll meet Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, and Mecole Hardman at the parade tomorrow! (yeah, right!)  :-D

Are you OK?  I heard there's been a shooting at the parade, with multiple victims.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Quote from: kphoger on February 14, 2024, 03:44:37 PM

Are you OK?  I heard there's been a shooting at the parade, with multiple victims.
:-( :no: :angry:

Rothman

Quote from: Big John on February 14, 2024, 04:55:50 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 14, 2024, 03:44:37 PM

:-( :no: :angry:

Wait...what?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

At least 22 people with gunshot wounds, from a public shooting by Union Station.  I assume from his earlier comment that |fhmiii| was at the event somewhere (but not necessarily Union Station).
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

zachary_amaryllis

(now former) Governor Richard Lamm
(at the time) Mayor of CO Springs, John Suthers. He was also many other political things.
Former child actor Brian Bonsall. Smoked a hoint in an alley in Boulder.
Early-80's local radio personality Deni LaRue (delivered a pizza to her!)
Various other local TV/radio people.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Big John

GaryV

Big John

kphoger

"Most famous" is relative.  Unless you've never met five people, then you should be able to rank the top five.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.