News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: hbelkins on December 09, 2019, 02:36:54 PM
Regarding copyright/public domain issues -- I'm hearing a glut of songs that were popular when I was young in commercials now. Is that because these tunes are now in the public domain, or because the writers/performers are licensing their use?

No, they're being licensed, likely through a clearinghouse.  The advertisers are using them in ads that are aimed at those who were in their teens/twenties when the songs were popular in the hopes that they'll strike chords with people from those slices of the advertisers' markets.

QuoteSimilarly, you'll occasionally hear that some artist does not want some politician to use their songs at their events. Can an artist stop that if the politician pays the appropriate royalty fee? What's the difference between Trump playing "You Can't Always Get What You Want" at the end of one of his rallies, and some radio station or bar playing it? (Or, to be bipartisan, Obama playing "Don't Stop?")

Those are licensed through a clearinghouse and in nearly all of those cases, the artists really have no say in that matter.

Mike

mgk920

My 'Grammar Nazi' moments include misuse of the word 'decimate'.  It means to remove one out of every ten, a punishment that was sometimes used by the Roman Army, not a wholesale, nearly complete destruction.

Also, when driving conditions are 'treacherous' (how can a road commit treason?).

One thing that also sets off my OCDs is the awkwardly improper top-to-bottom centering of mixed-case words that I am increasingly seeing, especially on street name blade signs.

Mike

CNGL-Leudimin

- Those who say this forum is overmoderated. Seriously, what are you thinking?
- Those who link to mobile Wikipedia. It's too much hassle to remove the ".m" part? Wikipedia redirects to its mobile version when viewed from a cellphone, but the other way doesn't happen. Also Wikipedia links ending with ), somehow the browser doesn't recognize that as part of the URL, leaving a link to a non-existent article. Again, it's too much hassle to change it to "%29"? This is related to the backslash thing some pages back.
- The "Threads you'll never see on AARoads" thread being locked again. Where I place new stuff never to be seen here? Open a new thread titled with what was never supposed to appear here? :banghead:

I cannot find who said his laptop/notebook/whatever it was would refuse to go back home after a trip. It kind of happens the same with my cellphone, when I have the location turned off it thinks I'm in Barcelona, to where I haven't been for years and seeing the current situation there it will remain so for the foreseeable future.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Verlanka

Rothman

Regarding the word "decimate," severe destruction is one of its meanings:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/decimate
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

qguy

1. With a double-door entrance/exit doorway, keeping one of the doors locked, effectively making it a wall with a door handle. The double door is there for a reason: safety. It's meant to provide a wide through-space for dumping the building in an emergency. They're often specified by building codes for buildings over a certain occupancy. Plus, it's just so annoying to pull on a door that doesn't budge. It's like the door says, "Psych!"

2. Stores (like my local Walmart) that have an employee check everyone's receipts as they leave. There has got to be a better loss prevention strategy than treating all of your customers like they're already shoplifters.

Beltway

Quote from: qguy on December 11, 2019, 07:18:53 AM
1. With a double-door entrance/exit doorway, keeping one of the doors locked, effectively making it a wall with a door handle. The double door is there for a reason: safety. It's meant to provide a wide through-space for dumping the building in an emergency. They're often specified by building codes for buildings over a certain occupancy. Plus, it's just so annoying to pull on a door that doesn't budge. It's like the door says, "Psych!"

When you walk thru the door and push to open the door, but it is locked, the door in effect "pushes back" at you.  Very annoying.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

texaskdog

Quote from: Beltway on December 11, 2019, 07:53:29 AM

When you walk thru the door and push to open the door, but it is locked, the door in effect "pushes back" at you.  Very annoying.

Bathroom doors that open in.  I don't wash my hands to touch a dirty door handle being that half the guys don't wash their hands.

formulanone

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 11, 2019, 04:12:47 AM
- Those who link to mobile Wikipedia. It's too much hassle to remove the ".m" part? Wikipedia redirects to its mobile version when viewed from a cellphone, but the other way doesn't happen.

Likewise, is it actually that difficult to eliminate two key strokes? So tired of this very petty complaint. Like DST, some of you have wasted more time complaining about it rather than dealing with it.

Mobile Wikipedia still functions, though. And with a second click, you get the desktop version. I don't tell everyone to serve the needs of my phone, I wait until I'm on my laptop if it doesn't function for me, instead of trying to change everyone's habits. Trying to edit a URL is surprisingly tricky on a phone. If it's a short URL, it's easy enough to edit, but not so much when requests are and redirects are appended.

formulanone

Quote from: texaskdog on December 11, 2019, 08:16:58 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 11, 2019, 07:53:29 AM

Bathroom doors that open in.  I don't wash my hands to touch a dirty door handle being that half the guys don't wash their hands.

Combine this with the air dryers, and we have a Major Thing, in terms of germ and disease control.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on December 11, 2019, 08:17:33 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 11, 2019, 04:12:47 AM
- Those who link to mobile Wikipedia. It's too much hassle to remove the ".m" part? Wikipedia redirects to its mobile version when viewed from a cellphone, but the other way doesn't happen.

Likewise, is it actually that difficult to eliminate two key strokes? So tired of this very petty complaint. Like DST, some of you have wasted more time complaining about it rather than dealing with it.

Mobile Wikipedia still functions, though. And with a second click, you get the desktop version. I don't tell everyone to serve the needs of my phone, I wait until I'm on my laptop if it doesn't function for me, instead of trying to change everyone's habits. Trying to edit a URL is surprisingly tricky on a phone. If it's a short URL, it's easy enough to edit. Not so much when requests are and redirects are appended.

On a more personal annoyance, as a long time PC user I prefer the full functionality of a keyboard.  That being the case I use my lap top for about 95% of anything I do online.  A lot of the improvements in technology is oriented towards using a tablet or phone.  It drives me up the wall that I'm expected to use less functional devices at work, or at least I'm encouraged to.  I want to use my full range of typing skills when I do work online. and not my two thumbs like a video game. 

MNHighwayMan

2. Stores (like my local Walmart) that have an employee check everyone's receipts as they leave. There has got to be a better loss prevention strategy than treating all of your customers like they're already shoplifters.

You are not legally obligated to stop for them. Just keep walking.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 11, 2019, 11:58:35 AM

And at most places like Costco and Sam's Club only have it as part of their membership agreement.  There is nothing stopping a person from saying "no"  to a receipt check.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2019, 08:22:57 AMOn a more personal annoyance, as a long time PC user I prefer the full functionality of a keyboard.  That being the case I use my lap top for about 95% of anything I do online.  A lot of the improvements in technology is oriented towards using a tablet or phone.  It drives me up the wall that I'm expected to use less functional devices at work, or at least I'm encouraged to.  I want to use my full range of typing skills when I do work online, and not my two thumbs like a video game.

The PC is where it really happens for me too, but I have come to appreciate the mobility offered by smartphones and tablets.  After some initial unsuccessful experiments with secondhand folding keyboards, I have settled on a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard with the ability to connect to up to three different devices, with a dial to select among the three.  It is of solid construction, which promotes good tactile feedback when touch-typing, and is easy to stack with a tablet.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jeffandnicole

While technically true, what's more inconvenient, the 10 seconds to wait for the receipt checks, or the minutes (or hours) of them suspecting you're a shoplifter, stopping you, and waiting for the police?

Is it illegal?  Yep.  So then what are you going to do - sue Walmart?  Where are you going to sue?  Are you going to higher a lawyer at $100+ an hour to sue the biggest corporation in America, who has unlimited access to lawyers to review the tape of every step you made in Walmart?  Did you put your hand in your pocket?  Did you reach for your cell phone at one point?  Suddenly now they have a 'reason' to stop you, as it appeared you may have concealed merchandise.

You, in your heart, know that you don't need to stop for the receipt checkers.  But don't think that you have the power to survive a court fight.  You may win, but your bank account will be thousands lighter.

vdeane

When the janitors at work can't be bothered to put my trash/recycling back where they were after emptying them.  I'm now needed to put them back every single morning.  Seriously - they're under the desk where they are because I want them out of the way, not because I want to deal with them every time I get in!

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 11, 2019, 12:40:37 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2019, 08:22:57 AMOn a more personal annoyance, as a long time PC user I prefer the full functionality of a keyboard.  That being the case I use my lap top for about 95% of anything I do online.  A lot of the improvements in technology is oriented towards using a tablet or phone.  It drives me up the wall that I'm expected to use less functional devices at work, or at least I'm encouraged to.  I want to use my full range of typing skills when I do work online, and not my two thumbs like a video game.

The PC is where it really happens for me too, but I have come to appreciate the mobility offered by smartphones and tablets.  After some initial unsuccessful experiments with secondhand folding keyboards, I have settled on a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard with the ability to connect to up to three different devices, with a dial to select among the three.  It is of solid construction, which promotes good tactile feedback when touch-typing, and is easy to stack with a tablet.
I don't get the smartphone obsession or why many companies seem to put traditional desktops/laptops as an afterthought at best.  Smartphones are great for when you're bored or need to look something up while on the go, but they are far inferior to a traditional computer as far as a primary way of browsing the internet is concerned.  The way I prefer to browse is cumbersome at best on any interface designed to be used by touch rather than a mouse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Non-mechanical keyboards.

Yes, I still have a mechanical keyboard at home, and I am currently using the oldest keyboard in my company because it's closest I can get to truly mechanical.  Unfortunately, the new computer my wife and I bought a year or so ago doesn't have a PS/2 port, and nobody sells PS/2-to-USB adapters anymore, so my good old mechanical keyboard has just been sitting unused for some time now.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2019, 01:23:22 PM

While technically true, what's more inconvenient, the 10 seconds to wait for the receipt checks, or the minutes (or hours) of them suspecting you're a shoplifter, stopping you, and waiting for the police?

Is it illegal?  Yep.  So then what are you going to do - sue Walmart?  Where are you going to sue?  Are you going to higher a lawyer at $100+ an hour to sue the biggest corporation in America, who has unlimited access to lawyers to review the tape of every step you made in Walmart?  Did you put your hand in your pocket?  Did you reach for your cell phone at one point?  Suddenly now they have a 'reason' to stop you, as it appeared you may have concealed merchandise.

You, in your heart, know that you don't need to stop for the receipt checkers.  But don't think that you have the power to survive a court fight.  You may win, but your bank account will be thousands lighter.

How are they going to stop me?  Tackle me to the ground?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Yes, that's another one that I forgot.  Nothing made today can really stack up to the mechanical keyboards of old.  Most of the new models either break too easily or are physically smaller which obstruct proper typing position.  All my mechanical keyboards don't function at work since they require an access card to use while at my desk top. 

MNHighwayMan

Are you serious? I have not once stopped for one of those old bags and they've done absolutely nothing to go after me. They're probably even trained to not go after people who refuse, anyway.

Edit: Furthermore, to detain me as a shoplifter, an employee has to see me grab an item, try to conceal it, and try to make it to the exit without paying. Those greeters/receipt checkers have definitely not done that, unless maybe I try to steal a candy bar from a checkout.

Edit 2:

Mechanical keyboards are awesome, and all I use nowadays. I even have a small portable one that I use with my laptop, in the rare event I actually use my laptop, because I absolutely hate typing on the laptop keyboard itself.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 11, 2019, 02:47:30 PM

Are you serious? I have not once stopped for one of those old bags and they've done absolutely nothing to go after me.

Regarding Walmart's own shoplift policy they have a Loss Prevention Department that is the only staff base allowed to make shoplift apprehensions.   Further the intra-company edict discourages apprehensions under $20 dollars and they have been made with the following criteria established:

1.  You must be observed approaching a displaying.
2.  You must be seen selecting merchandise that is clear and identifiable as belonging to the store. 
3.  You must see concealment or establish that the person you are watching has unauthorized control (example; fitting room counts and ticket switching)
4.  You must maintain constant surveillance of the person suspected of shoplifting.
5.  You must allow the suspect shoplifter go past all points of sale or out of the building depending on the jurisdiction. 

While the above isn't "law"  they are commonly established Loss Prevention tactics for getting a clean apprehension on a shoplifter.  If an LP person or a store regular was to accost someone who didn't technically shoplift, yeah in theory it could lead to some trouble if not a civil dispute.  Usually the situation is handled by offering a gift card, examples I've seen are mostly over $100 dollars.  Even door greeters can cross that line by "demanding a receipt"  instead of asking for one. 

While I've never worked for Walmart I worked in the LP field for years, almost every major retail company has the same rules and policies.  Fortunately I never screwed up but I know a lot of people who did and it certainly was taken seriously by the businesses involved.  I barely know of any companies that even allow shoplifters to be hand cuffed anymore. 

texaskdog

If not mentioned before people who overuse "reach out".  Even worse shows that are supposed to be set in the past that say it.  No one every really said it more than two years ago.

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on December 11, 2019, 03:59:20 PM
"reach out" ...  No one every really said it more than two years ago.

what
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

"Reach out"  is still overuse business slang from I observe in my interactions with people.  I get asked "reach out"  to a person and/or people at least three times weekly. 

DTComposer

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2019, 04:03:48 PM

what

Wasn't "Reach out and touch someone" AT&T's slogan for most of the late 20th century?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DTComposer on December 11, 2019, 04:15:11 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2019, 04:03:48 PM

what

Wasn't "Reach out and touch someone" AT&T's slogan for most of the late 20th century?

The "Reach Out"  part is also a common song lyric. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.