News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2020, 05:10:13 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2020, 05:05:40 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 03, 2020, 04:44:40 PM
Chevy's "Real people, not actors" host

Aren't actors real people?

I just notice the other day, the commercial was captioned "real Chevrolet employees, not actors".  Oh, like that's any better??

I suspect Lizard People or Androids given the lack of human behavior demonstrated in the commercials.  Either way I'd be more likely to listen of the caption said "real Lizard People"  or "real Androids."

Or real Small Furry People from Alpha Centuari.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on January 03, 2020, 05:11:04 PM
I told the guy we don't sign contracts and he said it wasn't a contract it was an agreement. Okay whatever.

One of my best friends recently had an argument with a Cox sales call rep.  He told the rep he didn't want a sales call.  The rep said it's not a sales call, but that he just wanted to make sure my friend's service level was meeting his current needs and if he might want to change his level of service to better suit his needs.  "So it is a sales call, then."  "No, it's not a sales call."  They went back and forth for a while.  I don't remember if the rep ever admitted to it being a sales call or not.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman on January 03, 2020, 05:13:15 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2020, 05:10:13 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2020, 05:05:40 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 03, 2020, 04:44:40 PM
Chevy's "Real people, not actors" host

Aren't actors real people?

I just notice the other day, the commercial was captioned "real Chevrolet employees, not actors".  Oh, like that's any better??

I suspect Lizard People or Androids given the lack of human behavior demonstrated in the commercials.  Either way I'd be more likely to listen of the caption said "real Lizard People"  or "real Androids."

Or real Small Furry People from Alpha Centuari.

Now that would be impressive if GM had a stake in the domestic market share of the Small Furry Kingdom of Alpha Centuari.  I suspect that least there small sedans would still be appreciated over the swath of vanilla CUVs being pushed on Earth in the U.S. Market.

texaskdog

RBF or it's lesser component Resting B*tch Voice RBV. 

SSOWorld

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2020, 05:17:01 PM
I told the guy we don't sign contracts and he said it wasn't a contract it was an agreement. Okay whatever.

One of my best friends recently had an argument with a Cox sales call rep.  He told the rep he didn't want a sales call.  The rep said it's not a sales call, but that he just wanted to make sure my friend's service level was meeting his current needs and if he might want to change his level of service to better suit his needs.  "So it is a sales call, then."  "No, it's not a sales call."  They went back and forth for a while.  I don't remember if the rep ever admitted to it being a sales call or not.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2020, 05:04:45 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 03, 2020, 04:35:52 PM
Whenever we do finally buy a house, I'm still going to tell them we rent.

When I was growing up, we lived in a parsonage (my dad was a pastor).  Those were fun sales call conversations:

–  Hello, do you own your home?
–  No.
–  Oh, so you rent, then.
–  No.
–  Ummm................ Uhhhh.........

When I was in college, we got a call (I answered) asking to speak to "the man of the house." I figured it was a sales call, so I said, "Which one? There are four of us." As I expected, the caller didn't realize it was a college apartment and assumed we were homosexuals (we were not)–there was a LONG silence and then the caller hung up. I should have answered in a high-pitched voice just to play to stereotypes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brian556

Utensils with flat handles. Unfortunately, the vast majority of them are this way, and I cannot stand it. They are very uncomfortable to use. They forks are the worst because they dig into your hand when you use them to cut meat. The ones with rounded handles are so much better

Scott5114

Quote from: renegade on January 03, 2020, 04:19:26 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 03, 2020, 12:52:55 AM
Okay here's one, those annoying people who work for Spectrum who bother you in Walmart.  I pretty much tell them to f*ck off now.
Yeah, with me it's DirecTV in Sam's Club.  I always tell them if they can beat "free"  then they can have my business

Tell them that you agree to disagree.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 04, 2020, 04:03:55 AM
Quote from: renegade on January 03, 2020, 04:19:26 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 03, 2020, 12:52:55 AM
Okay here's one, those annoying people who work for Spectrum who bother you in Walmart.  I pretty much tell them to f*ck off now.
Yeah, with me it’s DirecTV in Sam’s Club.  I always tell them if they can beat “free” then they can have my business

Tell them that you agree to disagree.

I was with my wife at that point she wanted me to keep walking

GaryV

A while back there were a lot of phone sales calls to change your phone service.  My sister in law told one caller, "I'm sorry, we don't have a phone."  Reply: "Sorry for bothering you."  Hang up.

crt08

Flippers that buy houses fairly cheap, do nothing more than paint and put down some new carpet (and sometimes less) and then put back on market for ridiculous amounts more than they paid. Um, I know how to find out what you paid and I can paint myself for a lot cheaper, thanks.

Even worse is when they buy a house that was already pretty nice but actually make it worse when they go to "renovate" it.

texaskdog

Quote from: crt08 on January 04, 2020, 12:14:07 PM
Flippers that buy houses fairly cheap, do nothing more than paint and put down some new carpet (and sometimes less) and then put back on market for ridiculous amounts more than they paid. Um, I know how to find out what you paid and I can paint myself for a lot cheaper, thanks.

Even worse is when they buy a house that was already pretty nice but actually make it worse when they go to "renovate" it.

All those people too who talk about house flipping like it's so easy to do.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: crt08 on January 04, 2020, 12:14:07 PM

My brother actually made 1.3 million doing that during the housing boom before the market fell out from underneath of him and he got caught holding eight properties.  Considering how steep Capital Gains tax was he would try to hold the properties for two years but that's one of the larger reasons he got burned holding so many deeds on homes.  I should note that my brother would spend about 15-30k on improvements on homes and he did a large percentage of the work himself.  Some of the profits could be very substantial, I know he made a 120k profit on one house he remodeled and flipped within a two year window.  Either way house flipping being a profitable enterprise usually isn't a good sign for affordable housing in particular market.  It's one of the biggest reasons I left Phoenix back in 2013.  Either way he was exploiting a market bubble but was smart enough to recognize it was beginning and caught the wave early.  Too bad he didn't see it ending because he lost everything that he made in the housing crash. 

Now the real driver of that housing boom was predatory adjustable rate mortgage loans that were so popular in the early 2000s.  Double that up with a City like Phoenix which was exploding in population growth and there was some real opportunities to make money off the house flipping business.  Even after the housing boom home prices in Phoenix still remained way above what they were at the turn of the century and have only risen since...its kind of getting to Los Angeles/Bay Areas levels in places. 

J N Winkler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2020, 12:36:50 PMMy brother actually made 1.3 million doing that during the housing boom before the market fell out from underneath of him and he got caught holding eight properties.  Considering how steep Capital Gains tax was he would try to hold the properties for two years but that's one of the larger reasons he got burned holding so many deeds on homes.  I should note that my brother would spend about 15-30k on improvements on homes and he did a large percentage of the work himself.  Some of the profits could be very substantial, I know he made a 120k profit on one house he remodeled and flipped within a two year window.  Either way house flipping being a profitable enterprise usually isn't a good sign for affordable housing in particular market.  It's one of the biggest reasons I left Phoenix back in 2013.  Either way he was exploiting a market bubble but was smart enough to recognize it was beginning and caught the wave early.  Too bad he didn't see it ending because he lost everything that he made in the housing crash.

In the parallel thread dealing with companies (etc.) we want to see go out of business, I did mention house flippers.  I concede that, to the extent they reflect a natural development of specialization to improve economic efficiency (not everyone has the ability or interest to act as his or her own general contractor/construction manager for updating fixer-uppers), and do not scrim-shank on the improvements they carry out, they can be a benign factor in a local housing market.  However, flipping is inevitably a speculative activity to some degree, and that has a tendency to exacerbate problems with housing affordability.

Intending long-term owners who buy from a flipper lose out when they effectively have to pay twice for the same updates (as a result of, e.g., the flipper putting in bottom-tier fixed appliances or failing to observe reasonable standards of workmanship when redecorating).

In my local area, we have observed that flippers tend to be tied to sources of fallow capital, such as doctors or small groups of well-heeled real-estate investors.  A few years ago, we received a cash-for-property offer from a LLC.  When I looked it up with the Secretary of State (which in Kansas handles business registrations), I found two names in connection with it.  One was a farmer's son from western Kansas, and the other was a medical doctor.  Both have gone on my personal blacklist.  We have received other cash-for-property postcards from different business entities (mostly partnerships) at essentially the same mailing address, in a high-dollar office park on the east side of town (traditionally the millionaires' quarter).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

texaskdog

I hate those house flipping shows.  They make it seem dire like they are going to lose money and in the end they ALWAYS make money.  That one show with the flippers EVERY TIME and supposedly they never once lost money.  Flip or Flop. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 04, 2020, 02:23:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2020, 12:36:50 PMMy brother actually made 1.3 million doing that during the housing boom before the market fell out from underneath of him and he got caught holding eight properties.  Considering how steep Capital Gains tax was he would try to hold the properties for two years but that's one of the larger reasons he got burned holding so many deeds on homes.  I should note that my brother would spend about 15-30k on improvements on homes and he did a large percentage of the work himself.  Some of the profits could be very substantial, I know he made a 120k profit on one house he remodeled and flipped within a two year window.  Either way house flipping being a profitable enterprise usually isn't a good sign for affordable housing in particular market.  It's one of the biggest reasons I left Phoenix back in 2013.  Either way he was exploiting a market bubble but was smart enough to recognize it was beginning and caught the wave early.  Too bad he didn't see it ending because he lost everything that he made in the housing crash.

In the parallel thread dealing with companies (etc.) we want to see go out of business, I did mention house flippers.  I concede that, to the extent they reflect a natural development of specialization to improve economic efficiency (not everyone has the ability or interest to act as his or her own general contractor/construction manager for updating fixer-uppers), and do not scrim-shank on the improvements they carry out, they can be a benign factor in a local housing market.  However, flipping is inevitably a speculative activity to some degree, and that has a tendency to exacerbate problems with housing affordability.

Intending long-term owners who buy from a flipper lose out when they effectively have to pay twice for the same updates (as a result of, e.g., the flipper putting in bottom-tier fixed appliances or failing to observe reasonable standards of workmanship when redecorating).

In my local area, we have observed that flippers tend to be tied to sources of fallow capital, such as doctors or small groups of well-heeled real-estate investors.  A few years ago, we received a cash-for-property offer from a LLC.  When I looked it up with the Secretary of State (which in Kansas handles business registrations), I found two names in connection with it.  One was a farmer's son from western Kansas, and the other was a medical doctor.  Both have gone on my personal blacklist.  We have received other cash-for-property postcards from different business entities (mostly partnerships) at essentially the same mailing address, in a high-dollar office park on the east side of town (traditionally the millionaires' quarter).

Unfortunately in the case of the Phoenix market all the house flipping coupled with the housing bubble were really what expedited gentrification and sprawl.  The unfortunate result was taking a Metro Area that was very affordable circa 2000 and making just another upper middle class suburban hell scape by 2020.  Some of the long commutes resulted from new development racing outwards to whatever affordable parcels of land were left over.  As much as I liked Arizona I didn't want to be part of kind of turn in the real estate market again.  Fortunately I had the ability to leave through my career and ultimately did. 

jemacedo9

Quote from: GaryV on January 04, 2020, 06:54:24 AM
A while back there were a lot of phone sales calls to change your phone service.  My sister in law told one caller, "I'm sorry, we don't have a phone."  Reply: "Sorry for bothering you."  Hang up.

Nicely done!

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2020, 12:36:50 PM
My brother actually made 1.3 million doing that during the housing boom before the market fell out from underneath of him and he got caught holding eight properties. 

A co-worker of mine had the same situation.  That's a way to get into the rental market without ever intending to!

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 04, 2020, 02:59:04 PM

Quote from: GaryV on January 04, 2020, 06:54:24 AM

Nicely done!

I remember my father telling one the same thing back in the 90s.  Except it wasn't a polite "sorry for bothering you" but instead a confused moment of silence on the other end.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Here's something that bothers me. You can sign up for things online, change service plans online, but you have to call to cancel the service. You can't do that online.

Or when you have had no luck with phone calls to get something done and you write a letter, and they respond that you need to call them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

texaskdog

On FB a woman just referred to her husband as "hubs"

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2020, 06:33:48 PM
Here's something that bothers me. You can sign up for things online, change service plans online, but you have to call to cancel the service. You can't do that online.

Or when you have had no luck with phone calls to get something done and you write a letter, and they respond that you need to call them.
Those are good ones.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

DaBigE

Email list unsubscribe buttons that take you to an unrelated webpage, with no way to contact anyone else (not even to tell them their link is broken).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

texaskdog

Gas pumps where I just want gas:

Insert card
Punch in your zip code (okay I know I need to do that)
Do you want additive?
Do you want to join our 5 cent off club?
Do you want a receipt?
Do you want a car wash?

Then I have to watch your video while I pump

SSOWorld

Today is January 4.  Winter started two weeks ago.  They're late as usual.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

OracleUsr

Quote from: texaskdog on January 04, 2020, 10:36:47 PM
Gas pumps where I just want gas:

Insert card
Punch in your zip code (okay I know I need to do that)
Do you want additive?
Do you want to join our 5 cent off club?
Do you want a receipt?
Do you want a car wash?

Then I have to watch your video while I pump

I had one near my house that used to ask:

Debit Card (Y/N)  NO
Debit Card (Y/N)  NO
Debit Card (Y/N)  NO

Authorizing
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.