News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirbykart

^Since when is there caramel in a KitKat?

GaryV

You're right, I was thinking of Twix.

Still, the principle applies. More chocolate > cookie filler.

vdeane

The wafers are part of the experience with KitKat.  If you don't want them, why not just buy a plain chocolate bar?  Then you don't have any "cookie filler" to deal with.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

I personally wouldn't mind getting a plain chocolate bar, but a bar with no wafer in it isn't a KitKat.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 30, 2022, 01:56:09 PMa bar with no wafer in it isn't a KitKat.
And a flute with no holes is not a flute, but a doughnut with no hole is a Danish.

skluth

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 30, 2022, 01:56:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 30, 2022, 01:56:09 PMa bar with no wafer in it isn't a KitKat.
And a flute with no holes is not a flute, but a doughnut with no hole is a Danish.

Depends on if you put the filling on top or inside. Put the filling inside and it's still a donut, jelly or Boston cream donut depending on the filling.

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 30, 2022, 07:40:32 AM
Bag of Flamin' Hot cheetos, with the correct cheetos, and a large semisolid ball of obscene-red powdery stuff.

Did you take a bite of the powder ball?  Did you briefly consider it?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: thenetwork on November 29, 2022, 04:35:07 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2022, 12:50:01 PM
When a box of honey nut cheerios is missing the honey and is just normal cheerios.  This happens surprisingly often - about once every month or two, in fact!

A few weeks ago, I bit into a pure chocolate Kit-Kat with no wafer cookie bars inside.

We got a bunch of those at Halloween, with the mini Kit-Kats.  Bastards.

Scott5114

When you run out of postage stamps in December, so when you buy more you end up getting Christmas-themed ones. And then it takes you until March to use them all up. (I guess I could just buy more in January and keep the Christmas-themed ones for next year, but it doesn't bother me that much.)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on December 01, 2022, 02:40:36 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 30, 2022, 07:40:32 AM
Bag of Flamin' Hot cheetos, with the correct cheetos, and a large semisolid ball of obscene-red powdery stuff.

Did you take a bite of the powder ball?  Did you briefly consider it?

Did second thing first, then first thing. It wasn't the nuclear death I was expecting, but definitely high-yield conventional death, to be sure.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

MultiMillionMiler

Since I just posted in the music thread, I may as well vent this here:

I can't stand when some radio stations start playing 80% Christmas songs in November. Living near NYC my 2 favorite stations are 95.5 and 106.7, and these two unfortunately are the first to start reverting to all holiday music early. I can't complain about 95.5 because they are a Christian station, but I still like their normal songs way more than any Christmas ones.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 04, 2022, 07:47:25 AM
Since I just posted in the music thread, I may as well vent this here:

I can't stand when some radio stations start playing 80% Christmas songs in November. Living near NYC my 2 favorite stations are 95.5 and 106.7, and these two unfortunately are the first to start reverting to all holiday music early. I can't complain about 95.5 because they are a Christian station, but I still like their normal songs way more than any Christmas ones.

NY area radio has apparently changed quite a bit. When I was a real little kid (born in NJ) I recall 95.5 being WPLJ and a fairly decent rock station.
clinched:

MultiMillionMiler

Yep, now it's a Christian Rock Station. To be honest I actually like it better than much of the regular rock today.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 04, 2022, 08:23:44 AM
Yep, now it's a Christian Rock Station. To be honest I actually like it better than much of the regular rock today.
I was born there, but haven't lived there since probably the late 70's. Now I'm in the land of KBPI rocking the rockies.
clinched:

XamotCGC

Stores no longer having credit card stickers on there doors.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

mgk920

Quote from: XamotCGC on December 04, 2022, 04:10:22 PM

I believe that the credit card companies don't give them to merchants anymore, assuming that they are pretty much the norm now.

Mike

bm7

Is there much need for that to be shown these days? I've never been to a store where they haven't accepted my credit card.

US 89

Quote from: bm7 on December 04, 2022, 06:22:42 PM
Is there much need for that to be shown these days? I've never been to a store where they haven't accepted my credit card.

Sure. Plenty of places don't take Amex, for example. Smith's grocery store went through a phase for a year or two where they didn't take Visa. I have a friend who every so often runs into a place that won't take his Discover card.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US 89 on December 04, 2022, 06:32:00 PM

Sure. Plenty of places don't take Amex, for example. Smith's grocery store went through a phase for a year or two where they didn't take Visa. I have a friend who every so often runs into a place that won't take his Discover card.

I'll admit the other day I was at a diner I've never been to, and looked at the door to see if it was OK to give them my AmEx. Seeing no sticker, I handed it over waiting to see if it would be rejected. No issues.

That said, it's fairly rare. I carry an AmEx and Visa, so if they say no to one, I have the other.

Scott5114

Amex and Discover acceptance is kind of patchy, but MasterCard and Visa acceptance is basically the bare minimum, unless you're doing a cash-only store. I'm surprised a grocery store toyed with Visa non-acceptance–I've been using my bank since I was six and they only issue Visa, so it's pretty funny that a grocery store thought I'm going to scrounge up some other method of payment or switch banks for them instead of just finding another store to shop at.

Big John

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 04, 2022, 07:31:11 PM

Amex and Discover acceptance is kind of patchy, but MasterCard and Visa acceptance is basically the bare minimum, unless you're doing a cash-only store. I'm surprised a grocery store toyed with Visa non-acceptance–I've been using my bank since I was six and they only issue Visa, so it's pretty funny that a grocery store thought I'm going to scrounge up some other method of payment or switch banks for them instead of just finding another store to shop at.
Woodman's in Wisconsin accepts only Discover for credit, but accepts Visa/MC debit cards.

US 89

Amex and Discover acceptance is kind of patchy, but MasterCard and Visa acceptance is basically the bare minimum, unless you're doing a cash-only store. I'm surprised a grocery store toyed with Visa non-acceptance—I've been using my bank since I was six and they only issue Visa, so it's pretty funny that a grocery store thought I'm going to scrounge up some other method of payment or switch banks for them instead of just finding another store to shop at.

According to Smith's, Visa was charging higher processing fees than any of the other credit card companies. Their Visa ban lasted about six months and they never gave any particular reason why it was ending when it did. Obviously their sales took a hit.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/30/visa-now-accepted-all-kroger-stores-including-smiths-food-co/4097824002/

thenetwork

Quote from: US 89 on December 04, 2022, 09:00:37 PM

According to Smith's, Visa was charging higher processing fees than any of the other credit card companies. Their Visa ban lasted about six months and they never gave any particular reason why it was ending when it did. Obviously their sales took a hit.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/30/visa-now-accepted-all-kroger-stores-including-smiths-food-co/4097824002/

I seem to remember a similar situation at Sam's Club &/or Walmart a few years ago...

As far as businesses not accepting Discover,  it happened a lot up in Canada pre 9/11.  Is Discover accepted more outside of the US now?

webny99

Aldi did not accept credit cards at all until a few years ago. They were one of the last major chain/grocery stores to start accepting them.

Bruce

WinCo still doesn't accept credit cards, which is a little annoying but understandable for an employee-owned company.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.