News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Arkansas Speed Limits to Rise (finally)

Started by US71, June 10, 2020, 08:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: ozarkman417 on June 11, 2020, 02:30:39 PM
If I-49 in the Boston Mountains can be at 75mph, then any interstate up here in MO in rural areas could be bumped up to 75. Many people go that speed, anyway.

:)  My wife isn't one for speeding.  But, back when we used to drive from Chicago to Branson to visit her family, her foot turned to lead at Marshfield and the needle crept above 80.  Home stretch, baby!

I'd be hard pressed to come up with a rural stretch of Interstate anywhere west of Indiana that traffic doesn't commonly go 75.  Probably east of there too, but I've hardly done any driving out that way.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikieTimT

If I-49 in the Boston Mountains can be at 75mph, then any interstate up here in MO in rural areas could be bumped up to 75. Many people go that speed, anyway.

I for one sure have, and much more.  The sight lines on I-49 in MO aren't different than on US-69 just a couple dozen miles to the west in KS, and that's already mostly 75 north of Ft. Scott.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 10, 2020, 11:41:43 PM

I find it interesting that it mentions a maximum of 55 mph, with an optional 60 mph for two-lane roads, yet at least one two-lane road, SR-530, is posted at 65 mph.

Where is it indicated that 65 mph is permitted? I'm not against this speed limit, but am curious where law permits it if a statutory maximum of 55 mph with an optional 60 mph is all that's allowed.

That's not the only one: AR-549.
These are technically 2-lane state highways, but they are better thought of as Super-2 placeholders for future interstate conversion.  The one you cited is planned to be the Future I-530 connection from Pine Bluff to Monticello to connect to Future I-69.  And AR-549 will exist only for another 18 months or so as it transforms from the current Super-2 to I-49 (Bella Vista Bypass).  They have the same geometries, grade separations (mostly), and sight lines as Interstates, so they warrant a higher speed.  The 500 series state highways are special cases.

Flint1979

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 11, 2020, 01:38:17 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 11, 2020, 10:57:09 AM
rural areas except for I-69 between Port Huron and Lansing with a gap in Genesee County.
Is that segment of I-69 not rural?

Quote from: edwaleni on June 11, 2020, 10:15:08 AM
If trucks are still limited then raising the car limit won't buy a lot unless there is little truck traffic to overtake.

For example, Little Rock to Memphis probably will not raise the average automobile speed by a large amount because it has such a large truck volume.

A truck going 60 passing a truck going 55 will typically cause these half mile left lane backups of autos coming up at 75.

Raising it to 75 will also create more left lane dogs who seem to believe it is their god given right to use the left at any speed they see fit.

Which creates a chicane for passing traffic on the right.

While left lane dogging is illegal, I have yet to see a pull over for it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new ceiling, but with some truck volumes, it won't be very practical in all places.
While 75 mph may not be reachable during certain times, such as trucks passing, etc., when the road does reach a clear point, it's safe to get up to 75 mph. No reason to keep it at 70 mph just because of truck traffic that is an issue only during certain periods, like micropassing.

I've managed to drive I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis during the late afternoon / early evening on a summer weekday, and was bothered by very little truck traffic and micropassing. I usually managed ~80 mph, except the few trucks that did pass here and there.

Not as rural as the areas north of the Tri-Cities.

Revive 755

Quote from: kphoger on June 11, 2020, 03:29:35 PM
I'd be hard pressed to come up with a rural stretch of Interstate anywhere west of Indiana that traffic doesn't commonly go 75.  Probably east of there too, but I've hardly done any driving out that way.

I-70 at the Loutre River valley in Missouri perhaps?  Along with other parts of rural I-70 in Missouri on the busier days.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 11, 2020, 05:11:36 PM

rural areas except for I-69 between Port Huron and Lansing with a gap in Genesee County.

If trucks are still limited then raising the car limit won't buy a lot unless there is little truck traffic to overtake.

For example, Little Rock to Memphis probably will not raise the average automobile speed by a large amount because it has such a large truck volume.

A truck going 60 passing a truck going 55 will typically cause these half mile left lane backups of autos coming up at 75.

Raising it to 75 will also create more left lane dogs who seem to believe it is their god given right to use the left at any speed they see fit.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new ceiling, but with some truck volumes, it won't be very practical in all places.
While 75 mph may not be reachable during certain times, such as trucks passing, etc., when the road does reach a clear point, it's safe to get up to 75 mph. No reason to keep it at 70 mph just because of truck traffic that is an issue only during certain periods, like micropassing.

I've managed to drive I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis during the late afternoon / early evening on a summer weekday, and was bothered by very little truck traffic and micropassing. I usually managed ~80 mph, except the few trucks that did pass here and there.

No interstate goes north of the Tri-Cities currently.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 11, 2020, 10:06:32 PM

What do you call I-75?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 11, 2020, 10:12:33 PM

What do you call I-75?
Wait what tri-Cities are you talking about?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 11, 2020, 10:54:12 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 11, 2020, 10:12:33 PM

What do you call I-75?
Wait what tri-Cities are you talking about?
Saginaw, Bay City and Midland

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 11, 2020, 11:40:20 AM
A mile isn't a very long distance for a truck to overtake another truck.

Indeed, nor for the street view car to overtake a truck.
I believe the street view car is required by law to be overtaking a truck for at least 3 miles while in the vicinity of any sign I'm looking for.  :-D

Quote from: kphoger on June 11, 2020, 03:29:35 PM

Absolutely. If anything, traffic moves faster the further east you go despite the downward trend in speed limits.
80-85 is common on most 65 mph highways, and 70-75 on most 55 mph ones.

Flint1979

In Michigan 80 mph is the usual speed you can go before the police will start giving you a problem. Many people go well over 80 mph and risk getting pulled over at that point.

Myself I go about 75-80. I've done 85 on US-10 and felt comfortable at that speed.

thspfc

But if it's increased to 75, people will go 80.

hotdogPi

Quote from: thspfc on June 13, 2020, 10:48:45 AM

A 5 mph increase in speed limit results in a 1.5 mph increase in actual driver speed.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

sprjus4

That myth has been debunked time and time again, and is often used by opponents to increasing speed limits.

Setting the speed limit closer to reality results in more compliance. For me, I'll drive 77 - 80 mph in a 70 mph zone, and will do the exact same in a 75 mph zone. 2-5 mph over vs. 7-10 mph over.

MikieTimT

rte66man

You Tube didn't have the right clip, but The Andy Griffith Show Season 4 Episode 16 (Barney and the Sidecar) has that same logic embedded all through it. "If you let 'em go 40 they'll go 45..."
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Per  KTHV -11 the signs won't start changing until July 1.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

robbones

Drove on I 40 from the Arkansas - Oklahoma Border to I 49 up to Mountainburg and already have the 75 MPH signs with Trucks 70 MPH posted on I 40 only.  Also, all sharper curves have a 70 MPH  safe speed (except for one just West of AR 59-Exit 5 which was posted at 65). It's nice to cruise at 80 on a recently paved road. Can't wait for Oklahoma to follow suit and raise their speed limit.

SM-S506DL

bwana39

Nothing from Texarkana to the LA line as of yet.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

rte66man

Quote from: robbones on August 02, 2020, 06:52:13 PM
Drove on I 40 from the Arkansas - Oklahoma Border to I 49 up to Mountainburg and already have the 75 MPH signs with Trucks 70 MPH posted on I 40 only. 

Lower truck speed limits just make for more road rage when a semi pulls into the left lane going 70 to pass another truck going 68. Seen it every time I've traveled on I40 between Little Rock and Memphis.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

MikieTimT

In the process of going up on I-49 between Alma and Fayetteville, and on I-40 between OK border and Little Rock.  The article below includes the traffic study that determined speeds.  Speeds on I-49 between Fulbright Expressway/AR-112 entrance ramps and current end at Bella Vista are reduced to 65MPH.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/speed-limits-going-up-in-the-river-valley-down-in-northwest-arkansas/?fbclid=IwAR1BU4KAANdsFkDY0wToN6ZdzKL9UQZ2UUId9pSNz4LKB7AUv9H3indVTas

bugo

Quote from: US71 on June 10, 2020, 08:21:26 PM
ARDOT is finally raising speed limits by 5mph on all highways

Rural Interstates (and other divided highways) 70 to 75
Urban Interstates 65 mph

They're raising the speed limit on all highways? I really hope they bump 2 lanes to at least 60.

bugo

It should be a minimum of 6 lanes all the way across the state, and trucks should be banned from the left lane. But Arkies are cheap and don't like paying taxes, so they can't have nice things.

bugo

75 is a lot safer on I-49 than it would be on I-44 in Missouri. Besides, you never would get going that fast with the truckers cutting you off while passing and micropassing in the left lane. They need to build a parallel car-only freeway and let the trucks have the old road.

US71

Quote from: bugo on August 31, 2020, 07:25:55 AM

75 is a lot safer on I-49 than it would be on I-44 in Missouri. Besides, you never would get going that fast with the truckers cutting you off while passing and micropassing in the left lane. They need to build a parallel car-only freeway and let the trucks and let the trucks have the old road.

As of this past week, I-49 is still 70mph
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.