News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Guess That Bridge thread!

Started by MCRoads, July 20, 2020, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Without doing any work to narrow down from "I'm almost sure that's a Mohawk River/NYS Barge Canal lock" I'm going with Lock 8 in Rotterdam/Glenville, thinking that might be the corner of Maalwyck Park in the background on the north side.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

1995hoo

Quote from: Jim on August 31, 2020, 08:40:31 AM
Without doing any work to narrow down from "I'm almost sure that's a Mohawk River/NYS Barge Canal lock" I'm going with Lock 8 in Rotterdam/Glenville, thinking that might be the corner of Maalwyck Park in the background on the north side.

Based on Street View, that looks right to me.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Jim on August 31, 2020, 08:40:31 AM
You got it. I was trying to be tricky. Technically not a bridge. But still a bridge.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Jim

Finally I get to play one when I'm supposed to.

This is probably too easy, but I like it, so I'll use it.

1995hoo

Nice picture. Rio Grande Gorge Bridge near Taos?

Jim

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 31, 2020, 08:53:34 PM
Nice picture. Rio Grande Gorge Bridge near Taos?

Yes, that's the one.

The rest of my pictures from that day, which was unbelievably over 12 years ago:

https://www.teresco.org/pics/co-nm-ski-20080122-29/26/bridge.html

I have got to get back to Taos.

1995hoo

That whole area of the country is one where I'd like to tour some more.

I'll post a picture in the morning at some point. Got to get one off my PC and it's not on right now.

1995hoo

1995hoo

Clue #1: It's in the USA, not Greece.

webny99

I had figured from contextual clues that it was probably in the US, but it's still proving harder than it should be since there's not that many divided covered bridges around.

SteveG1988

Quote from: webny99 on September 02, 2020, 08:45:41 PM
I had figured from contextual clues that it was probably in the US, but it's still proving harder than it should be since there's not that many divided covered bridges around.

The clues i have, Railroad crossing, double barrel covered bridge, and it is in the usa and not "greece"
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

thspfc

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 02, 2020, 10:32:46 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 02, 2020, 08:45:41 PM

The clues i have, Railroad crossing, double barrel covered bridge, and it is in the usa and not "greece"
Looks like a small town in a hilly but not mountainous area. So it could be New England, certain parts of Appalachia, or even the Driftless Area of the Midwest (though the lad who posted it is from Virginia so I doubt that).

Jim

I have no idea, but I was thinking the "not Greece" hint meant it's in or near a place named something like Athens or Sparta.

1995hoo

Jim is on the right track in general as to what the previous clue denoted. Obviously I don't want to be more specific than that lest I give it away.

Clue #2: It's not located in the same state in which the original bridge was built.

SteveG1988

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 03, 2020, 07:36:05 AM
Jim is on the right track in general as to what the previous clue denoted. Obviously I don't want to be more specific than that lest I give it away.

Clue #2: It's not located in the same state in which the original bridge was built.

Philippi Covered Bridge. I did not find it by thinking West Virginia formerly part of VA, i was looking for other terms that could work..."side by side covered bridge" worked.
Roads Clinched

1995hoo

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 03, 2020, 08:52:05 AM

Philippi Covered Bridge. I did not find it by thinking West Virginia formerly part of VA, i was looking for other terms that could work..."side by side covered bridge" worked.

You are correct! The "Greece" reference in the prior clue was to the Battle of Philippi in 42 BC in which the members of the Second Triumvirate defeated Caesar's assassins at Philippi in Macedonia. Interestingly, there was also a Battle of Philippi in 1861 at the town where the covered bridge is located. My second clue denoted that when the original bridge was built, the town was in Virginia. ("Original bridge" denoting that it has been substantially rebuilt due to a fire.) There's a story that President Davis met Abraham Lincoln on that bridge at some point to discuss peace terms, but it's almost certainly not true.

Of course, the name of the town in West Virginia is not pronounced the same as the one in Greece–the former ends with a long "e" sound, the latter with a long "i" sound.

Had I needed to give a third clue, I was thinking about something along the lines of, "Viatologists use the wrong name for the highway system served by this bridge." A clue like, "SteveG1988 would have to use an alternate route just to the south" is a useless clue because it's hardly unusual for truck drivers to have to avoid covered bridges.

I'm genuinely surprised it took as long as it did for someone to get this one, simply because I thought that bridge is fairly well-known on the forum due to being the last covered bridge on the system of US Routes (or the "US Numbered Highway System")–which was also the gist behind the unneeded third clue, of course. I don't mean that to be poking fun of anyone for not getting it, mind you; I'm kind of glad to have posted something that proved challenging.

plain

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 03, 2020, 09:06:39 AM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 03, 2020, 08:52:05 AM

You are correct! The "Greece" reference in the prior clue was to the Battle of Philippi in 42 BC in which the members of the Second Triumvirate defeated Caesar's assassins at Philippi in Macedonia. Interestingly, there was also a Battle of Philippi in 1861 at the town where the covered bridge is located. My second clue denoted that when the original bridge was built, the town was in Virginia. ("Original bridge" denoting that it has been substantially rebuilt due to a fire.) There's a story that President Davis met Abraham Lincoln on that bridge at some point to discuss peace terms, but it's almost certainly not true.

Of course, the name of the town in West Virginia is not pronounced the same as the one in Greece–the former ends with a long "e" sound, the latter with a long "i" sound.

Had I needed to give a third clue, I was thinking about something along the lines of, "Viatologists use the wrong name for the highway system served by this bridge." A clue like, "SteveG1988 would have to use an alternate route just to the south" is a useless clue because it's hardly unusual for truck drivers to have to avoid covered bridges.

I'm genuinely surprised it took as long as it did for someone to get this one, simply because I thought that bridge is fairly well-known on the forum due to being the last covered bridge on the system of US Routes (or the "US Numbered Highway System")–which was also the gist behind the unneeded third clue, of course. I don't mean that to be poking fun of anyone for not getting it, mind you; I'm kind of glad to have posted something that proved challenging.

The Sheetz in the background was the clue I was working on but I didn't get to WV with it yet lol
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Quote from: plain on September 03, 2020, 10:08:04 AM
The Sheetz in the background was the clue I was working on but I didn't get to WV with it yet lol

Heh, I was quite careful which photo I chose because there was a gas station just to the left of my vantage point when I took that photo and its sign says "Mountaineer Mart." It's partly visible in one of my photos and it would have given it away instantly! (The picture was taken on October 20, 2017, and I haven't passed that way again since then, so I don't know for certain whether that gas station is still there under the same name. Google Maps suggests it is.)

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

Verlanka

MCRoads

That is a cool setup. I really like reversible facilities.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

MCRoads

It is the Thomas A. Mathis bridge near seaside, NJ. After a reverse image search brought me to a photographer from seaside's Instagram, I just needed to scroll down to find the picture.

As a side note, why is there a signal head facing the wrong way for the draw span? I can only assume that maybe it is for contraflow for hurricanes, but why would the draw span need to open in that event?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

plain

Quote from: MCRoads on September 04, 2020, 07:42:57 PM
It is the Thomas A. Mathis bridge near seaside, NJ. After a reverse image search brought me to a photographer from seaside's Instagram, I just needed to scroll down to find the picture.

As a side note, why is there a signal head facing the wrong way for the draw span? I can only assume that maybe it is for contraflow for hurricanes, but why would the draw span need to open in that event?

I was thinking it might've been that bridge earlier but the railings didn't match. Now that you posted this I went back on GSV to take another look. The columns under the bridge are a perfect match!

https://goo.gl/maps/sn5wssfDVownvFEP7
Newark born, Richmond bred

SteveG1988

Quote from: MCRoads on September 04, 2020, 07:42:57 PM

You got it.
Roads Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.