News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Amazed (well not really) at the lack of common sense on the road today

Started by Crash_It, June 08, 2021, 08:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on June 16, 2021, 03:26:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2021, 02:25:13 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on June 16, 2021, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 13, 2021, 02:37:37 PM
Narrow residential street, cars parked on one side, oncoming car, approaching a stop sign and corner businesses... 33 mph? Easily driving too fast for conditions. I'd be approaching that cautiously expecting someone to dash out at maybe 20-25 mph.

You get upset with the person... who had limited sight visibility and had no choice. You're speeding down the road and apparently he's at fault. If you were a true, skillful, defensive driver, you'd take account for the conditions around you, slow down, and anticipate someone to jump in front of you.

Speed limit on residential streets in that town is 30mph unless otherwise posted, there was plenty of sight visibility. I've came out onto streets in Chicago with worse visibility without issue (using the reflections in the parked cars as guidance). He didn't even try to look.

Narcissism and total self-assurance that you're never wrong must be nice.

Point is.. If he looked he would not have jumped out like that either that or he looked and just didn't care. I go down that street all the time and that's one of the first times I've ever had an issue.

Point is, that you were an equal contributor to the incident at hand (as many have pointed out) but you're incapable of holding yourself accountable.  That's a common theme with your threads; you are often equally to blame but can't critique yourself.

wanderer2575

Narrow residential street, cars parked on one side, oncoming car, approaching a stop sign and corner businesses... 33 mph? Easily driving too fast for conditions. I'd be approaching that cautiously expecting someone to dash out at maybe 20-25 mph.

You get upset with the person... who had limited sight visibility and had no choice. You're speeding down the road and apparently he's at fault. If you were a true, skillful, defensive driver, you'd take account for the conditions around you, slow down, and anticipate someone to jump in front of you.

Speed limit on residential streets in that town is 30mph unless otherwise posted, there was plenty of sight visibility. I've came out onto streets in Chicago with worse visibility without issue (using the reflections in the parked cars as guidance). He didn't even try to look.

Point is.. If he looked he would not have jumped out like that either that or he looked and just didn't care. I go down that street all the time and that's one of the first times I've ever had an issue.

That's like saying "I hop the chain-link fence and walk across the freeway all the time, and that's one of the first times someone's almost hit me."

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

Point is... if you were driving at or below the speed limit (a safe speed for the conditions given), anticipating a pull out, preparing to stop already (because there's a stop sign), and don't flip out at every little thing a driver does, this wouldn't even had been an issue or notable.

Crash_It

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 16, 2021, 05:14:17 PM

Point is... if you were driving at or below the speed limit (a safe speed for the conditions given), anticipating a pull out, preparing to stop already (because there's a stop sign), and don't flip out at every little thing a driver does, this wouldn't even had been an issue or notable.

Illinois law states that drivers looking to enter a roadway must yield to all drivers on that roadway that are close enough to constitute an immediate hazard. He failed to do that. Therefore, if a crash resulted, he would be entirely at fault for not yielding to traffic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on June 16, 2021, 05:33:25 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 16, 2021, 05:14:17 PM

Illinois law states that drivers looking to enter a roadway must yield to all drivers on that roadway that are close enough to constitute an immediate hazard. He failed to do that. Therefore, if a crash resulted, he would be entirely at fault for not yielding to traffic

Are you seriously so self absorbed that you can't see that you were driving too fast for the conditions?  All you ever do is layer up excuses and blame other drivers instead of admitting your own driving mistakes.  This is the leading reason why thread suck, you have zero perspective and always have to be right.  This is made worse by the fact that you sensationalize minor issues on urban roadways that probably aren't even worth talking about. 

1995hoo

Crash_It sounds like an armchair attorney who reads something online and considers himself an expert. I'd laugh my arse off if he tried to represent himself in a tort action related to his running into one of the people he claims is "entirely"  at fault. (The mere fact of his using the word "entirely"  in a comparative-negligence state like Illinois betrays his ignorance.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Maybe, maybe not.  I suspect you might end up being found 20% at fault or something like that, more if you ended up rear-ending the other vehicle.

But that's not the point.  The point is that people pull out of driveways and parking lots with nary a look for traffic all the time.  You complain about the other driver's "lack of common sense", and I agree that common sense would dictate pausing to look for traffic first.  However, you seem to be oblivious to your own "lack of common sense".

Common sense would dictate going less than 33 mph on a quiet residential street with cars parallel-parked on one side, an oncoming vehicle on the other side, and a stop sign just up ahead.  Common sense would dictate not blaring your horn for a good three seconds just because someone carelessly pulled out onto the street right in front of that stop sign.  Common sense would dictate not putting "be safe" on screen at the end of your video while showcasing your own road rage in every other clip you post.

I've now watched the clip several times, including at 25% speed.  And honestly, that driver's error–an error, yes–was pretty minor and quite forgivable.  A reasonable person in that situation should have been able to assume that any traffic from his left would already be slowing down by that point–it being literally only 100 feet from a stop sign.  Plus, by the time he could actually see around the parallel-parked vehicles, the nose of his vehicle would already be poking out into the street anyway.  Instead, what he encountered was a driver speeding up toward the intersection (surprise!) with little concern for who or what might be approaching from behind that wall of parked cars.  I suppose it's a darned good thing it was a car and not a little girl running out into the street while playing tag in the apartment parking lot.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Or, he looked and just simply didn't see you (it happens) or he looked and misjudged your distance and/or speed (it happens.) I've been on both ends of it. I've misjudged oncoming traffic before, and I've had people pull out in front of me. It's part of driving. You're trying to assign intent to deliberately pull out in front of you where there may not have been any.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Crash_It

Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2021, 07:27:58 PM

Or, he looked and just simply didn't see you (it happens) or he looked and misjudged your distance and/or speed (it happens.) I've been on both ends of it. I've misjudged oncoming traffic before, and I've had people pull out in front of me. It's part of driving. You're trying to assign intent to deliberately pull out in front of you where there may not have been any.

If you are unsure of the speed of approaching vehicles you should not pull out. Period. I'm in that situation numerous times and if I find myself questioning the speed of approaching vehicles..guess what I do? I just wait for them to pass, I don't dart out in front of them. That's part of driving too.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on June 16, 2021, 07:42:55 PM

If you are unsure of the speed of approaching vehicles you should not pull out. Period. I'm in that situation numerous times and if I find myself questioning the speed of approaching vehicles..guess what I do? I just wait for them to pass, I don't dart out in front of them. That's part of driving too.

Kind of convenient (and telling) you're not even acknowledging any critique of you at this point.  You could have let off the gas way before that car pulling out even came into your view, the conditions called for you to slow down.  Just because you "can"  go 30 MPH doesn't mean you ought to in all circumstances. 

Some of the examples I gave above in jest like Kaiser Pass Road and Blackrock Road don't have a signed speed limit.  Therefore the "legal speed limit"  would by default 55 MPH.  The conditions of those roads do not merit driving anywhere close to said speed limit.  How is that any different than the neighborhood Street you were on?  As someone already pointed out it could have very well been a child darting out rather than a car you encountered. 

sprjus4

Since Crash_It is so law driven on his arguments and ignores any reality of the real world or accepting of criticism for his own reckless behaviors... (given he refuses to respond to any of it including a comment I made)

He was in violation of Illinois statute 625 ILCS 5/11-601 Section C by exceeding the default 30 mph urban speed limit by 3 mph, subject to a $120 fine. He, in addition, was in violation of Section A by driving a vehicle too fast for conditions regardless of the posted speed limit, when approaching an intersection and driving upon a narrow roadway.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=062500050HCh%2E+11+Art%2E+X&ActID=1815&ChapterID=49&SeqStart=122400000&SeqEnd=124000000

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on June 16, 2021, 07:42:55 PM

HB didn't say the driver might have been "unsure" of your distance and/or speed.  He said the driver might have "misjudged" it.  He also said the driver might have looked but didn't see you–which you don't seem to consider a possibility.

Are you trying to say you've never misjudged the distance and/or speed of another vehicle, and that you've never looked and missed seeing something?  If that's what you're trying to say, then you're a fool.  We all do that.  We're human.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 16, 2021, 09:22:34 PM
Since Crash_It is so law driven on his arguments ...

Which is ironic, considering I haven't lived in Illinois since 2008 and yet still seem to remember more of the vehicle code than he manages to dig up when specifically looking for something.

To quote the section you referenced:

Quote from: Illinois General Assembly – Illinois Compiled Statutes
VEHICLES
625 ILCS 5 – Illinois Vehicle Code
Ch. 11 Art. VI – Speed Restrictions
Sec. 11-601 – General speed restrictions

(a) No vehicle may be driven upon any highway of this State at a speed which is greater than is reasonable and proper with regard to traffic conditions and the use of the highway ... The fact that the speed of a vehicle does not exceed the applicable maximum speed limit does not relieve the driver from the duty to decrease speed when approaching ... an intersection ... or when special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians ... Speed must be decreased as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person or vehicle on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.

Next, I suppose, he'll try claiming that that last bit didn't apply to him because the other "person or vehicle" wasn't "in compliance with legal requirements and duty".  Ignoring the rest of it, of course.
Male pronouns, please.

vdeane

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 16, 2021, 05:50:15 PM
Crash_It sounds like an armchair attorney who reads something online and considers himself an expert. I'd laugh my arse off if he tried to represent himself in a tort action related to his running into one of the people he claims is "entirely"  at fault. (The mere fact of his using the word "entirely"  in a comparative-negligence state like Illinois betrays his ignorance.)
Now I'm imagining something similar to that episode of The Big Bang Theory where Sheldon went to traffic court (and ended up in jail).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc3Um-BBhpI
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

I've never watched that show. As a general matter, though, I was referring to a civil lawsuit (hence, "tort actions") where someone Crash_It hits sues him. His bleating about statutes won't be of much help in a "comparative negligence" state in which the jury members are free to assess the parties' relative fault. In a "contributory negligence" jurisdiction he'd stand a much better chance, but there are only five of those left in the USA (AL, DC, MD, NC, and VA) and DC is considering a change in their law.

1995hoo

VDOT Northern Virginia's tweet this morning made me think of this thread, and really of Crash_It's threads in general:

https://twitter.com/VaDOTNOVA/status/1405474105705615365

kphoger

He was in violation of Illinois statute 625 ILCS 5/11-601 Section C by exceeding the default 30 mph urban speed limit by 3 mph, subject to a $120 fine.

Illinois states that drivers must obey the speed limit.  Therefore, your video proof of exceeding the speed limit would likely contribute to your being found partly at fault for speeding.
Male pronouns, please.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2021, 01:04:17 PM

He was in violation of Illinois statute 625 ILCS 5/11-601 Section C by exceeding the default 30 mph urban speed limit by 3 mph, subject to a $120 fine.

Illinois states that drivers must obey the speed limit.  Therefore, your video proof of exceeding the speed limit would likely contribute to your being found partly at fault for speeding.

Don't sit there and act like you don't go 5 over on the regular. I've had an accident like that before but before I started dashcamming. I wasn't found at fault.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 17, 2021, 08:00:46 AM
VDOT Northern Virginia's tweet this morning made me think of this thread, and really of Crash_It's threads in general:

https://twitter.com/VaDOTNOVA/status/1405474105705615365

Yup. At some point, just be the bigger man and just let the person in. There's no point in fighting because in the end, you'll both lose if you collide. There's that mantra: drive defensively, I like that one.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

jeffandnicole

You know those stickers on the back of some trucks: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you"?  That's exactly what happened here. 

The driver, unlike Mr. Crash_It's opinion, probably did look back.  When that driver didn't see anyone, they started pulling out.  And once you start pulling out, you should look at where you're going.  Crash_It obviously didn't see that driver either until the person was already entering the roadway, Crash_It could've simply slowed down...after all, he was coming to a stop sign anyway, but decided waking up the neighborhood was a more appropriate solution.

renegade

Amazed (well, not really) that everyone here is still feeding the little troll.  Cra_shit gets off on all of you telling him he's wrong (he is).  He is nothing more than a narcissistic idiot who will just keep arguing no matter what.  He can go elsewhere for all I care.  I just wish he'd stop shitposting here.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: renegade on June 18, 2021, 11:01:43 PM
Amazed (well, not really) that everyone here is still feeding the little troll.  Cra_shit gets off on all of you telling him he's wrong (he is).  He is nothing more than a narcissistic idiot who will just keep arguing no matter what.  He can go elsewhere for all I care.  I just wish he'd stop shitposting here.

Normally I'm inclined to agree but it was too much dissecting this situation for what it really is.

Crash_It

Another driver being butthurt over being passed due to their vehicle's lack of power

https://youtu.be/Rmz8fDOyRQ0

Max Rockatansky

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.