News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why is your username what it is?

Started by jlam, January 02, 2022, 10:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlam

We had a thread on this about 13 years ago (has the forum really been around this long?), but I haven't found anything since then.

My username isn't very creative (just my first initial and the first 3 letters of my last name.) I thought about using many other usernames, such as NocoRoadFan. I realized that many usernames in that domain wouldn't last very long, as I'm moving out in 3-4 years now. I then thought of jlam, and the name stuck. How about you?

Max Rockatansky

I had watched Fury Road right before I registered. 

7/8

I wanted to name myself after a local road, and settled on 7/8 for the highway concurrency. Ironically, it's the portion of the Contestoga Parkway (local freeway) that I drive on the least since it's away from my house, university, and my office. But I think it makes for a unique username.

KCRoadFan

Pretty self-explanatory: I'm a road fan who lives in Kansas City, MO.

Takumi

I had been playing a lot of Initial D when I registered.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

LilianaUwU

My first name is Liliana, and the UwU part comes from the fact that I've had a Twitter thread where I tweeted "uwu" daily for almost 2 years.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

TheHighwayMan3561

I was interested in roads, and I-394 was my favorite route as a kid. I've changed the numbers in my handle on other sites as time has gone on and other roads have become important to me, but not here because users need to ask an admin to do it for them, and I haven't seen that as a super-high priority.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tolbs17

My first name is Tolbert and I go by Tolbs (although changed it to tolbs17) because people like to call me "Tolbs". And I was 17 years old.

Used to be called "mrhappy1261" but no one called me that and I named myself that because I was a happy guy when going out to stuff and doing fun stuff but then got tired of it as 1261 had no meaning and were literally just random numbers, so I requested my username to be changed to "tolbs17" as it makes more sense, but now I'm 19 years old, maybe just "Tolbs" would make more sense for me. but "tolbs17" can stay as I was 17 (actually I was 16) when I joined this forum.

jp the roadgeek

Nothing fancy.  Just my initials and an obvious title.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US 89

Should be fairly obvious. My favorite highway.

Bruce

Obviously, because I am a philosopher.

DandyDan

One of many alliterative nicknames I had as a kid.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

hotdogPi

I use a different username on all other websites. However, given the nature of this forum, I felt like I would be revealing more personal information here, so I decided to have a different username. I'm not exactly sure why I chose a single digit.

With my Flickr account, they became connected, though.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

JayhawkCO

KU is my alma mater and I live in Colorado.

1995hoo

I know we've had this discussion before. Whatever I said in the prior thread still applies.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

Just a combo of my hometown and year I was born.

SkyPesos

Nickname for Delta's frequent flyer program on some other forums, denoting how worthless it is compared to other programs. For some reason, the word stuck with me after the first time I've seen.

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 03, 2022, 01:10:32 AM
My first name is Tolbert and I go by Tolbs (although changed it to tolbs17) because people like to call me "Tolbs". And I was 17 years old.

Used to be called "mrhappy1261" but no one called me that and I named myself that because I was a happy guy when going out to stuff and doing fun stuff but then got tired of it as 1261 had no meaning and were literally just random numbers, so I requested my username to be changed to "tolbs17" as it makes more sense, but now I'm 19 years old, maybe just "Tolbs" would make more sense for me. but "tolbs17" can stay as I was 17 (actually I was 16) when I joined this forum.
I thought you got the "17" from US 17, which goes through your area.

Rushmeister

My username has nothing to do with Rush Limbaugh.  Think music.  Now you're on the right road.  (Careful, though, there's a one-lane bridge ahead.)
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

Dirt Roads

You've heard this story before, but as my wife says "Here he goes again..."

When I was small, almost all of the roads in my hometown were dirt roads.  The only paved section of road was the approaches to the bridge over I-64.  The main road got paved shortly after we moved there in the mid-1960s.  Our side road got paved in the late-1960s, and I fondly remember that Orders-Haynes was the contractor.  The house beside of ours was recently vacated, and Orders-Haynes used the old driveway as a staging area for their equipment.  All about 25 feet from my house.  I was already hooked on roadbuilding during the construction of I-64 between Institute and Dunbar, but this took the fascination to the next level.

Fun fact:  Yes, it is true that Orders-Haynes used pink dumptrucks, pavers and "steamrollers".  Pepto-bismol pink.  All covered in hot, sticky asphalt.  The kind of mess that a little boy wants to implore on his younger sisters' toys.

hbelkins

It's my name without the periods after the initials. Plus, it's my email address and also the name I use just about everywhere else. I pretty much decided on this name because when I got my first ISP username and email address, I was using the same provider as my brother and he had already taken "elkins." If he hadn't, I'd have used that name there and elsewhere.

Quote from: Rushmeister on January 03, 2022, 10:34:02 AM
My username has nothing to do with Rush Limbaugh.  Think music.  Now you're on the right road.  (Careful, though, there's a one-lane bridge ahead.)

Your avatar is a dead giveaway. Now, where's my thing?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rushmeister

Quote from: hbelkins on January 03, 2022, 10:39:27 AM
Quote from: Rushmeister on January 03, 2022, 10:34:02 AM

Your avatar is a dead giveaway. Now, where's my thing?

I don't know, but I thought we were told to leave it alone.
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on January 03, 2022, 10:39:27 AM
It's my name without the periods after the initials. Plus, it's my email address and also the name I use just about everywhere else. I pretty much decided on this name because when I got my first ISP username and email address, I was using the same provider as my brother and he had already taken "elkins." If he hadn't, I'd have used that name there and elsewhere.

I thought "H. Belkins" denoted that you liked Belkin-branded products.

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: jlam on January 02, 2022, 10:52:24 PM
We had a thread on this about 13 years ago (has the forum really been around this long?), but I haven't found anything since then.

I'm positive we've had a more recent thread, possibly even within the last year or two, as I remember posting to it.

I've had no luck trying to find it, though, so maybe it was a sub-topic in a thread with a different title. I tip my hat to anyone that can find it.

jlam

Quote from: webny99 on January 03, 2022, 11:36:27 AM
Quote from: jlam on January 02, 2022, 10:52:24 PM

I'm positive we've had a more recent thread, possibly even within the last year or two, as I remember posting to it.

I've had no luck trying to find it, though, so maybe it was a sub-topic in a thread with a different title. I tip my hat to anyone that can find it.
I found it on "Random Thoughts"

JoePCool14

I currently use my Minecraft username which I created when I was just 12 years old. At one point, I used the name Joe400 in order to distance myself from my "Minecraft presence" online. Now, I don't really care about them being connected.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.