Rural (or at least rural-looking) freeways close to the center of major cities

Started by KCRoadFan, July 28, 2022, 11:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

There's quite a few situations in the Mississippi and tributary valleys where the main city is on one bank because many of these cities are on a bluff with the opposite side often being floodplain. Entering St Louis from I-55/70 looks fairly rural until you enter the heart of East St Louis and you're only about two miles from downtown St Louis. Same is true coming into Memphis from Arkansas, I-64 from Indiana into Louisville, and a couple examples already posted.

CapeCodder

Quote from: skluth on September 15, 2022, 12:16:09 PM
There's quite a few situations in the Mississippi and tributary valleys where the main city is on one bank because many of these cities are on a bluff with the opposite side often being floodplain. Entering St Louis from I-55/70 looks fairly rural until you enter the heart of East St Louis and you're only about two miles from downtown St Louis. Same is true coming into Memphis from Arkansas, I-64 from Indiana into Louisville, and a couple examples already posted.

The AR side of the Memphis metro seems so desolate.

Ketchup99

achilles765

Interstate 35 and interstate 37 in south San Antonio. Rural, sparse development, mostly 4 lanes even inside the 410 loop until their respective interchanges with interstate 10/US 87/US 90. And for that matter, interstate 10 heading west from Houston into San Antonio. The first few times I went to San Antonio I remember being surprised at how quickly things change once you get to the IH 37/US 281 interchange and then BAM downtown San Antonio, IH 35, and the awesome double deck sections.
Having lived in Houston for so long, and knowing that San Antonio was the second largest city in the state, I was expecting it to be like Houston where the city starts 30 miles from downtown in every direction (and even more than that in a few)
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Ellie

I-57 around Chicago comes to mind. Feels pretty rural even once you get into Cook County for a bit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.