News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs in Odd Areas Mainly Because of Driver Confusion

Started by ethanhopkin14, May 13, 2022, 01:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michravera

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 13, 2022, 01:24:54 PM
I was thinking about California and their state wide single pool of numbers for all routes, so basically California treats all highways as state routes, so no number is repeated (except I-15 and SR-15, I-110 and SR-110 and I-210 and SR-210 to name a few, but all those are extensions of the same route).   I don't like California's practice.  I don't like making all highways have the same weight.  I do, however, like how its is a little less confusing to the driver.  Then I started to think of other states that have a pool of numbers per classification of highway so they could have an interstate and state highway with the same number but are unrelated.  It made me think how those instances are handled.  Sometimes there are unrelated routes that are within an hour's drive that lead to some confusion.  I personally don't understand how Interstate X is confused with State Highway X, but apparently it happens.  All this to get to this.  Apparently enough people have exited Interstate 12 here trying to get to Interstate 59, so much that a special trailblazer was added to inform people you have to keep driving to get to I-59.  I was wondering how many other instances of like named roads or like named locations that had signs near their intersection or exit directing traffic to the other thing that has a like name that is in another location.  I have seen a number of those, but I can't remember specific locations of these signs. 

These signs can sometime come off as random because they are informing traffic of an exit that's 37 miles away, but it's because that location and the location close to that exit have a very similar name.  I have been there, noticing a sign about exit 27 when I am at exit 59 and I think, why so random.  Then I realize it's because there is some confusion in the names/route numbers and I start looking around.  I know there is one on SH-130 southbound about the Circuit of the America's exit randomly when the exit is like 15 or so miles away, and I can't remember what is nearby that gets people confused on the two things.

Of course, California's innocence doesn't apply to I-80 and CASR-51 which is signed as BUS-80.

skluth

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 06, 2022, 11:02:17 PM
Quote from: skluth on July 06, 2022, 07:30:34 PM
How about these two almost identical signs leading in different directions? The only significant difference is "To" is in slightly different places above I-70.

The two roadways meet up again a bit down the way.

I know. I used to use the right-hand lanes when traffic was heavy back when it was a C-D road signed for the IL 3, 4th St, and Tudor Av exits. That changed when they made the C-D lanes two lanes all the way through and there were signs letting drivers know to use both lanes. The signs changed again with the opening of the Musial Bridge.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: skluth on July 07, 2022, 09:01:09 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 06, 2022, 11:02:17 PM
Quote from: skluth on July 06, 2022, 07:30:34 PM
How about these two almost identical signs leading in different directions? The only significant difference is "To" is in slightly different places above I-70.

The two roadways meet up again a bit down the way.

Ah, my apologies.

I know. I used to use the right-hand lanes when traffic was heavy back when it was a C-D road signed for the IL 3, 4th St, and Tudor Av exits. That changed when they made the C-D lanes two lanes all the way through and there were signs letting drivers know to use both lanes. The signs changed again with the opening of the Musial Bridge.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.