US Route 66 (myth versus reality)

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 16, 2022, 04:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US20IL64

One myth is some think you can "still drive the whole length of it", assuming it is simply next to the Interstates all the way.

Avalanchez71

Looks like another piece of the "Mother Road" is getting dissed once again.  Part of the old 66 is now going to be decommissioned once again.

I-44 Business Loop through Lebanon, MO is being decommissioned per AASHTO.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on September 19, 2022, 12:29:41 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 19, 2022, 12:27:32 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 19, 2022, 12:18:38 PM
Makes me wonder about Michael Wallis' book...

You got me curious so I just picked up a copy on eBay.  I'll share my thoughts once I've had a look.
He was Pixar's consultant on the original Cars.  I've got the book; it's heavy on nostalgia, but does contain asserted facts therein I'd imagine you might disagree with.

Flipping through the intro and the California chapter I noticed a couple interesting items:

-  The author does mention Santa Monica and Ocean.  This was the end of the rogue 1930/1931 signage paid for by Santa Monica. 
-  The author does mention that some believe US 66 ended at the Colorado Street Bridge.  This lines up with where the signage terminated at the Los Angeles city limit originally.
-  I'm not seeing any reference at first blush to 7th and Broadway (granted I just skimmed briefly).

So far this has my interest, especially since the author is careful with his conclusions thus far.  This is more than I expected from a book with a 1990 copyright.

Route66Fan

Quote from: Rothman on September 19, 2022, 12:29:41 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 19, 2022, 12:27:32 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 19, 2022, 12:18:38 PM
Makes me wonder about Michael Wallis' book...

You got me curious so I just picked up a copy on eBay.  I'll share my thoughts once I've had a look.
He was Pixar's consultant on the original Cars.  I've got the book; it's heavy on nostalgia, but does contain asserted facts therein I'd imagine you might disagree with.
For helping them out, he also got the part of voicing the sheriff car on the Cars movies.

SM-S102DL

Avalanchez71

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 26, 2022, 10:24:58 PM
One myth is some think you can "still drive the whole length of it", assuming it is simply next to the Interstates all the way.

I tried to watch a You Tube video about some random person travelling the road.  It was more of a commercial for the businesses that he stopped at on the way.  He stated that he was happy to get off of I-44 at US 59 and travel toward Miami, OK for a different pace.  Didn't the route travel on US 60 to US 59 back in the day?

Scott5114

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 27, 2022, 10:50:01 PM
Quote from: US20IL64 on September 26, 2022, 10:24:58 PM

I tried to watch a You Tube video about some random person travelling the road.  It was more of a commercial for the businesses that he stopped at on the way.  He stated that he was happy to get off of I-44 at US 59 and travel toward Miami, OK for a different pace.  Didn't the route travel on US 60 to US 59 back in the day?

No, the route between Joplin and Miami went through Baxter Springs KS on what is now K-66 and US-69 Alternate. US-66 went through the far SE corner of KS but I-44 never has.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Avalanchez71

I meant from the end of OK SR 66 in Vinita then toward Miami.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.