AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RIP Don Imus  (Read 2037 times)

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 10:58:29 AM
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

• Last Login: September 20, 2022, 05:50:39 PM
Re: RIP Don Imus
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 04:33:35 PM »

Popular shock jock dies.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-imus-legendary-imus-morning-host-dies-at-79-1265052
I remember his infamous commentary about the Rutgers’ Women’s basketball team about twelve or so years ago. Of course, that was when I was growing up between RU and Princeton (in fact, I had a Princeton mailing address despite living in nearby Franklin Twp. I first lived in nearby Franklin Park). I actually poked fun at him by punning with Don Imus In The Mourning when he gave up the microphone not long ago.

Mr. Matté

• Last Login: Today at 10:57:16 AM
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 06:44:00 PM »

Popular shock jock dies.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-imus-legendary-imus-morning-host-dies-at-79-1265052
I remember his infamous commentary about the Rutgers’ Women’s basketball team about twelve or so years ago. Of course, that was when I was growing up between RU and Princeton (in fact, I had a Princeton mailing address despite living in nearby Franklin Twp. I first lived in nearby Franklin Park). I actually poked fun at him by punning with Don Imus In The Mourning when he gave up the microphone not long ago.

I should note that despite the whole Imus thing, two of the roads around Rutgers Busch Campus are still Hoes Lane (including one which has since been converted to a state highway).

kevinb1994

• Last Login: September 20, 2022, 05:50:39 PM
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 02:20:14 AM »

Popular shock jock dies.

I should note that despite the whole Imus thing, two of the roads around Rutgers Busch Campus are still Hoes Lane (including one which has since been converted to a state highway).

I see what you did there. But the Hoes you mention is AFAIK a historical surname.

dvferyance

• Last Login: January 31, 2023, 09:25:09 PM
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 03:06:04 PM »

Popular shock jock dies.

Yeah I remember that it was Al Sharpton who was responsible for ending his career. I remember when Don Imus was briefly on my local station WISN in Milwaukee from 1996-1998. He was dumped because there was a demand for a local show in the morning.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: January 27, 2023, 03:12:34 PM
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 03:09:25 PM »

I never knew that "nappy" was a word or what it meant until that whole controversy

SectorZ

• Last Login: Today at 09:46:05 AM
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 08:18:14 PM »

Being from Boston he has a rather interesting history here.

Howie Carr is a local radio guy who is syndicated around New England. About 20 years ago (before the Rutgers thing), Imus and Carr had some sort of beef. Imus, on air, made a direct comment that Carr's wife had slept with Riddick Bowe (a famous heavyweight boxer for the uninitiated). It clearly was false, and Carr's wife started suffering harassment from Bowe's camp because they thought she had made up the rumor.

She hired Alan Dershowitz to sue for slander. They settled out-of-court, with an undetermined sum that was confirmed to be at least seven figures. Made the slightly-rich Carr family a bit richer.

Never really pushed me to ever be interested in listening to his show.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 10:58:29 AM
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 10:07:29 PM »

I remember once a friend of mine said he praised Joe Jackson for being a great artist, but at the same time said that he was ugly!

He had other such things he did for fun, but sometimes he got into it bad like Howard Stern ( who was also a DJ on the same station that Imus had his show in the 80's) WNBC in New York.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:13:10 AM
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 01:25:27 AM »

Popular shock jock dies.

Yeah I remember that it was Al Sharpton who was responsible for ending his career. I remember when Don Imus was briefly on my local station WISN in Milwaukee from 1996-1998. He was dumped because there was a demand for a local show in the morning.
Actually, it was Imus that was responsible for the tanking of his own career.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dvferyance

• Last Login: January 31, 2023, 09:25:09 PM
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 01:16:18 PM »

Popular shock jock dies.

It can be argued that way I am not sure though why Al Sharpton gets to play national sensor.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:13:10 AM
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 01:35:57 PM »

Popular shock jock dies.

It can be argued that way I am not sure though why Al Sharpton gets to play national sensor.
If not him, someone else would have brought attention to Imus' comments -- Sharpton's just one spokesman.  The legitimate offense would have been mentioned, Sharpton or not...

...unless you're saying no one should have spoken up at all.   

All Imus had to do was not speak a racial slur.  The responsibility for his downfall was his and his alone.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ftballfan

• Last Login: June 16, 2022, 10:27:32 PM
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 10:34:00 AM »

Around the 2010-2011 timeframe, a very short lived talk station in my hometown (allegedly) aired Imus in the morning. I never heard it as I was away at college at that time.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: January 16, 2023, 07:07:19 PM
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 03:37:07 PM »

Being from Boston he has a rather interesting history here.

Howie Carr is a local radio guy who is syndicated around New England. About 20 years ago (before the Rutgers thing), Imus and Carr had some sort of beef. Imus, on air, made a direct comment that Carr's wife had slept with Riddick Bowe (a famous heavyweight boxer for the uninitiated). It clearly was false, and Carr's wife started suffering harassment from Bowe's camp because they thought she had made up the rumor.

She hired Alan Dershowitz to sue for slander. They settled out-of-court, with an undetermined sum that was confirmed to be at least seven figures. Made the slightly-rich Carr family a bit richer.
Such definitely explains why Howie slammed Imus in one of his Boston Herald commentaries right after the whole Rutgers controversy surrounding his remarks broke out.  Washed-Up Cowboy was how Howie referred to Imus in that article.

Back in NJ, shortly after Imus made his infamous remark; then-NJ Gov. Corzine, while being driven to Rutgers to meet w/Imus, was involved in a car crash along the Garden State Parkway that broke his leg.  The SUV Gov. Corzine was in was going 91 mph at the time of the crash.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: January 31, 2023, 04:04:25 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 11:48:29 AM »

The SUV Gov. Corzine was in was going 91 mph at the time of the crash.

And probably being driven by a state trooper, which would pretty much absolve the state from any liability.

There was a picture that surfaced a few years ago of former Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes being driven to the Kentucky Derby by a state trooper at speeds nearing 100 mph on a 55 mph section of I-64. There was some controversy over that, but I don't know if there was ever any punishment.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

BamaZeus

• Last Login: January 18, 2023, 05:22:52 PM
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 04:18:18 PM »

When he was at WNBC, Imus hung up on my dad when he called in.  Knowing my father, he probably deserved it.  Even then, he listened to Imus every single weekday morning.

Mr. Matté

• Last Login: Today at 10:57:16 AM
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 12:58:26 PM »

Back in NJ, shortly after Imus made his infamous remark; then-NJ Gov. Corzine, while being driven to Rutgers to meet w/Imus, was involved in a car crash along the Garden State Parkway that broke his leg. The SUV Gov. Corzine was in was going 91 mph at the time of the crash.

Compounded most famously by him not wearing his seat belt.

Lesson learned by him and this former state senator: If you don't wear your seat belt, you will run in a race and lose to a fat guy.

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 09:04:16 AM
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 01:41:06 PM »

Bump to include the sad passing of former producer Bernard McGuirk from prostate cancer at 64.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/imus-morning-legend-bernard-mcguirk-dead-64
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: Today at 02:14:25 AM
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 02:24:07 PM »

When I saw the thread get bumped, my first thought was, "I thought he was already dead."

abefroman329

• Last Login: January 31, 2023, 05:51:59 PM
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 02:53:50 PM »

When I saw the thread get bumped, my first thought was, "I thought he was already dead."
Same.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.