Thanks to you, Google Maps now shows [this] correctly

Started by usends, December 13, 2022, 09:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Have you submitted a map correction to Google, and they fixed the error?  Post your success story in this thread.

The routing of US 6 through Sterling CO was changed in 2020, such that traffic is now directed to use Division Av through the downtown area, rather than 3rd St.  Also, the two-block segment of Main between Division and 3rd no longer carries SH-14.  GM continued to show the old routings for another couple years, up until now.  I submitted corrections about a month ago, and they were published today.  (One thing that's still incorrect is they continue to show the I-76 business loop through Sterling, even though signage in town was removed in about 2010.)
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Rothman

A few times.  Usually, their vector set was overactive and had marked roads where there wasn't one.  Corrections came through quickly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

I have no idea why, but Google Maps was showing my driveway as a street, with my house being on that street. This confused delivery drivers who would drive down my block looking for a street to turn onto and not finding one. I submitted a correction and the "street" is gone.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

We've had KYTC people try to submit corrections to Google Maps without success. Which is odd, given that we partner with Google/Waze for traffic updates.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MCRoads

Let's see, a roundabout near my house, a new DDI at my house, and a new interchange that was drawn in really, really badly.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

jlam

I've sent loads of stuff, including the Spearfish, SD I-90 BL, which now shows both I-90 BL and the previous US 90 BL. I'm still waiting for them to remove the latter.

hotdogPi

At one point, I sent a correction where Aiken St turned into Aiken Ave. in Lowell, MA in the wrong spot, one traffic light away. Google Maps misinterpreted me and made it much worse by turning the entire street into Aiken Ave.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jp the roadgeek

MA 20A in Springfield is no longer labeled as ALT US 20, and CT 31 along and north of US 44 is no longer labeled as a county route. Plus MA 31 no longer crosses the CT border.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

usends

For those who have submitted edits with no results, you might consider trying again.  They didn't immediately make the initial corrections I sent, so I sent them again a month later, and then the corrections were made within a couple days.  So (this is an untested theory) I wonder if corrections that have been sent in more than once are taken more seriously, as if it corroborates the validity of the original submission.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

epzik8

I sent one to them for a certain street in my old neighborhood that was marked along a driveway down the road from the actual street, but instead of fully correcting it it added the actual location of the street while keeping the mislabeled street. I did make the same change on OpenStreetMap which usually doesn't require approvals.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kenarmy

Is no one going to tell them US 51 hasn't been on State Street in Jackson for like 50 years  :spin:?
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

1995hoo

Earlier this fall, US-48 (Corridor H) was shown as completed between Davis and Kerens. I submitted the error and said the road didn't exist. They eventually removed it, but it took several weeks.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 15, 2022, 07:35:42 AM
Earlier this fall, US-48 (Corridor H) was shown as completed between Davis and Kerens. I submitted the error and said the road didn't exist. They eventually removed it, but it took several weeks.
Um, I still see US-48 signage on that stretch?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

1995hoo

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 15, 2022, 09:20:27 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 15, 2022, 07:35:42 AM
Um, I still see US-48 signage on that stretch?

Right, but the planned new upgraded road is no longer shown and that's what my post was referring to, not to the temporary routing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

pderocco

Soon after the Hinkley, CA Bypass of route 58 was constructed a few years ago, and it appeared in Google Maps, I noticed that between the two interchanges on it, Hinkley Rd and Lenwood Rd, there were five cross streets shown as still crossing the new freeway. They all end in cul-de-sacs now. I reported this, and nothing happened. A year or so later, I reported it again. Crickets. Another year, another report. Bupkis. Now, I look and they finally fixed ... three out of the five roads. They still show Mountain View Rd and Summerset Rd as crossing the freeway somehow.

Unfortunately, Google Maps doesn't have up-to-date enough imagery to show the freeway. You have to go into Google Earth, and turn on Historical Imagery, because the latest imagery isn't up to the quality standards of their default imagery.

pderocco

For a long time, Sherman Pass Road in the Sequoia National Forest, was shown incorrectly routed.

https://goo.gl/maps/vhxXmjSqcVQL1V327

The part where it swings far to the north and back was not shown as a highlighted road, instead connected by Forest Rt 21S97 which is a completely unmaintained 4WD trail that I think isn't even open any more. It took a couple of repeated reports, but they eventually fixed it.

MCRoads

Oh, also, I was able to get the I-180 shield put back on I-180 in Way. It had disappeared for some reason. It is back now.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

formulanone

I got a 200-foot section of an independently-named street in my neighborhood added. Took a photo of the street and sign blade and submitted it, but I forget how long that took until it appeared.

Not sure if the occupants in the two houses using that street appreciated it or not, I haven't asked.

bwana39

My house. It originally took you to the junction of the road I live on and a US highway nearly 7 miles away.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.