News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

If AAroads had a hall of fame, what users, topics, and things would be in there?

Started by Roadgeekteen, February 10, 2023, 04:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

interstatefan990

Quote from: webny99 on February 10, 2023, 11:05:28 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 10, 2023, 11:02:01 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 10, 2023, 10:55:25 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 10, 2023, 10:52:40 PM
Hall of Shame. Wouldn't be the worst idea actually.

That's basically this thread. There's been hardly any discussion of actual road related contributions, mostly because an event high on drama on a roads forum is almost never a good thing.

Alluding to the discussion that's currently flaring up in "The universe according to MMM", I feel like the threat of being placed in a Hall of Shame could possibly serve as a preliminary deterrent to breaking the rules, instead of proceeding straight to official forum sanctions.  :)

On the other hand, sometimes people do and say things on the Internet just to get attention, which would be a home run if that was their motivation. (In fact, I think this has even been cited as a reason why moderation on this forum is private instead of public.)

On that topic, I'd prefer if that thread was locked now as it doesn't look like it's going in too good of a direction. But, I digress.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Roadgeekteen

That's basically this thread. There's been hardly any discussion of actual road related contributions, mostly because an event high on drama on a roads forum is almost never a good thing.
Wasn't my intention. I listed a mix of good and bad things in the original post.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 11, 2023, 12:53:27 AM

Wasn't my intention. I listed a mix of good and bad things in the original post.

That "mix" is like putting a half order of green pepper on a meat lovers pizza and calling it a healthy meal.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 11, 2023, 01:41:13 AM

That "mix" is like putting a half order of green pepper on a meat lovers pizza and calling it a healthy meal.
The Road Related Topics I listed are pretty famous parts of roadgeek lore, maybe more infamous that famous but it's not like all I had on there was Alanland, MMM, and the hypothnus. But it looks like nobody is really interested in this topic, which is totally fine.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 10, 2023, 08:24:07 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 10, 2023, 08:07:41 PM
Not for nothing, but a Hall of Fame is for good, noteworthy people.

You're attempting to do the opposite, and rightfully getting shit on for it.
I was emphasizing the fame part over the good part.

Infamy or notoriety would be better terms than fame.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

If you want to be serious for nominating for a "Hall of Fame," then participating on here should be the lowest of qualifications.
Other factors to be considered:
Website/page (past or current)
citations by others
participation in other parts of AAroads (including admin/moderators for this forum)
Hosting a roadmeet
Been written about in "mainstream media" (written/TV/Radio)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 11, 2023, 01:44:32 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 11, 2023, 01:41:13 AM

The Road Related Topics I listed are pretty famous parts of roadgeek lore, maybe more infamous that famous but it's not like all I had on there was Alanland, MMM, and the hypothnus. But it looks like nobody is really interested in this topic, which is totally fine.

People are interested in the topic; you just presented it wrong, then doubled down with a Crash_it mentality.

webny99

mgk920

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: hbelkins on February 10, 2023, 11:09:27 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 10, 2023, 05:04:52 AM
Man, do we really gotta do this again? Navel gazing threads are lame.

Well, you have the Purple Power.

Is this like the golden days of MTR? If you didn't get a Tom From Ohio screed directed at you with directions to DUAAFAFO, you hadn't arrived on the scene yet?

Golden days of mtr: who the hell was bullis, anyway?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2023, 08:23:42 AM
How about just an AARoads hall of fame, not specific to the forum?
That works. I didn't think this topic through LMAO.

nexus73

Max Rockatansky is my favorite poster.  It is nice to see so much of California get covered.  Fun times to see routes I was on back in the day and even better when he goes on highways I missed!

There are plenty of other fine posters here too :-)

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

hotdogPi

froggie seems to be the one who says "no, traffic volumes don't warrant it" or "this will cost too much", basically saying what is and isn't feasible when someone proposes a realistic or semi-realistic fictional proposal.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Flint1979

Quote from: nexus73 on February 14, 2023, 10:35:44 AM
Max Rockatansky is my favorite poster.  It is nice to see so much of California get covered.  Fun times to see routes I was on back in the day and even better when he goes on highways I missed!

There are plenty of other fine posters here too :-)

Rick
I like all the Michigan posters in this forum. Max is from Detroit and he replies to a lot of my Detroit related topics which I like. I have criss crossed the state and there are still things I don't know about Michigan that other posters can fill me in on but those things are far and few between. I like see the other states covered as well it's fun.

Henry

As someone with connections to both Chicago and Seattle, I enjoy reading posts of people like ET21, abefroman, Bruce and KEK Inc. They help to give me a deeper knowledge of their respective areas, and I am truly thankful for that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: Rushmeister on February 10, 2023, 11:19:50 AM
No mention of cRaiG cOuNtY yet?  Just sayin'...

That's more of the Signage Hall of Shame, and it's "CraIG CoUnty".  Been there, saw it, got the last known photo of it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on February 10, 2023, 11:09:27 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 10, 2023, 05:04:52 AM
Man, do we really gotta do this again? Navel gazing threads are lame.

Well, you have the Purple Power.

Is this like the golden days of MTR? If you didn't get a Tom From Ohio screed directed at you with directions to DUAAFAFO, you hadn't arrived on the scene yet?
Also, U-70: I-14?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Roadgeekteen

I think that Crash Prone Modern Roundabouts needs to be on there for somehow lasting over 100 pages

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.