News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: thenetwork on August 16, 2022, 04:56:28 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 16, 2022, 04:38:39 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 16, 2022, 03:38:46 PM
This doesn't quite qualify as a US/state mixup.  It's more of a state/state mixup so I put it in this thread. This sign faces the exit from a facility along Kankakee County Highway 9, on the eastern side of Manteno, IL.  This isn't Delaware, New Jersey, Kentucky, Mississippi, or Iowa!  This is Illinois!  This photo is in my "Nope Springs Eternal" folder, which is currently 100 photos of traffic control fails.

20220810_121640 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Probably just looked in the federal MUTCD for "what does a state highway marker look like", saw the default circle shield, and ran with it.

Or they looked at a AAA Map of Illinois, saw the state circle routes and ran with it!

Interesting that the I-57 assembly is from IDOT and is attached to the "SR-1" part. I wonder if the I-57 side was also wrong at one point and IDOT decided to update it.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Declan127

a) my google maps is showing the arrow that takes you out of SV backwards
Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 19, 2022, 08:05:37 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 16, 2022, 04:56:28 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 16, 2022, 04:38:39 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 16, 2022, 03:38:46 PM
This doesn't quite qualify as a US/state mixup.  It's more of a state/state mixup so I put it in this thread. This sign faces the exit from a facility along Kankakee County Highway 9, on the eastern side of Manteno, IL.  This isn't Delaware, New Jersey, Kentucky, Mississippi, or Iowa!  This is Illinois!  This photo is in my "Nope Springs Eternal" folder, which is currently 100 photos of traffic control fails.

20220810_121640 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Probably just looked in the federal MUTCD for "what does a state highway marker look like", saw the default circle shield, and ran with it.

Or they looked at a AAA Map of Illinois, saw the state circle routes and ran with it!

Interesting that the I-57 assembly is from IDOT and is attached to the "SR-1" part. I wonder if the I-57 side was also wrong at one point and IDOT decided to update it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2507995,-87.8104158,3a,15.4y,351.73h,88.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfBYPnmxs6vGRFo212FMPbw!2e0!7i3328!8i1664?hl=en
Looks like you were right: the old 57 shield was too top-justified and had white banners, however this was changed between 2009 and 2016. Also changed between those years (but obviously after the 57 shield) was the circle shield, which is now a normal Illinois shield.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

highwaytuna

Putting the name of an attraction (NJPAC) inside a state route shield.

1995hoo

I'm not sure whether this is really an error per se, but it's an oddity where the sign conflicts with the traffic signal such that one or the other could be argued to be incorrect. I think what is really going on here is that the District of Columbia views South Capitol Street as continuing around this new "traffic oval," and they therefore put up straight-ahead arrows for the traffic lights because you are continuing "straight" on South Capitol, but they then threw up a "No Turn on Red" sign because they thought drivers would view the situation as a right turn. It's odd, though, to have a straight-ahead signal signed for "No Turn on Red." I don't know whether they have red arrows because I haven't driven through there since the new configuration opened. I note at the other end of the oval near the ballpark there are red left arrows for traffic staying on the oval (maybe heading to the soccer stadium) and green straight-ahead arrows for traffic exiting the oval to stay on South Capitol Street.

https://goo.gl/maps/sXM5HhLndqF62sxA8
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 22, 2022, 09:14:46 AM
I'm not sure whether this is really an error per se, but it's an oddity where the sign conflicts with the traffic signal such that one or the other could be argued to be incorrect. I think what is really going on here is that the District of Columbia views South Capitol Street as continuing around this new "traffic oval," and they therefore put up straight-ahead arrows for the traffic lights because you are continuing "straight" on South Capitol, but they then threw up a "No Turn on Red" sign because they thought drivers would view the situation as a right turn. It's odd, though, to have a straight-ahead signal signed for "No Turn on Red." I don't know whether they have red arrows because I haven't driven through there since the new configuration opened. I note at the other end of the oval near the ballpark there are red left arrows for traffic staying on the oval (maybe heading to the soccer stadium) and green straight-ahead arrows for traffic exiting the oval to stay on South Capitol Street.

I'm glad you posted this, I was waiting for this intersection to be on Street View. I haven't seen a new traffic circle built in decades (everything has been roundabouts, and even then, it's been almost entirely Maryland building them in the DMV area).

I think this may be a better fit for the generic "Traffic Signal" thread.

Still, my thoughts: I think it's a red orb, based on this street view image. The issue reminds me of what happens at many DDIs, where "no turn on red" signs are used but the arrows are straight. Example in Colorado that I find especially confusing since there is a R3-5R "right turn only" sign overhead, conflicting with the signals showing straight-ahead arrows.

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on August 22, 2022, 11:54:10 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 22, 2022, 09:14:46 AM

I'm glad you posted this, I was waiting for this intersection to be on Street View. I haven't seen a new traffic circle built in decades (everything has been roundabouts, and even then, it's been almost entirely Maryland building them in the DMV area).

I think this may be a better fit for the generic "Traffic Signal" thread.

Still, my thoughts: I think it's a red orb, based on this street view image. The issue reminds me of what happens at many DDIs, where "no turn on red" signs are used but the arrows are straight. Example in Colorado that I find especially confusing since there is a R3-5R "right turn only" sign overhead, conflicting with the signals showing straight-ahead arrows.

I posted a few pictures taken from above (on one of the ramps to the upper concourse at the ballpark) earlier this summer when we went to the Ryan Zimmerman number retirement game. Here's that post, in case you hadn't seen the pictures:

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 18, 2022, 04:23:00 PM
The intersection of South Capitol Street and Potomac Avenue outside Nats Park has changed just a bit.

For those who haven't seen the bridge:

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 22, 2022, 01:57:50 PM
I posted a few pictures taken from above (on one of the ramps to the upper concourse at the ballpark) earlier this summer when we went to the Ryan Zimmerman number retirement game. Here's that post, in case you hadn't seen the pictures:

I did see them! Thank you for sharing.

I think, long-term, I'm interested to see the lane layout. I think that's what I'll need GSV for, since no one is going to bother taking a picture of that :-D.

plain

The TO banners are what's erroneous here, as Chamberlayne Ave is US 1/301.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/D9353G6BVAiG6BFH9
Newark born, Richmond bred

formulanone

Not quite Interstate 6, not quote US Route 6 in Barnstable, Massachusetts...

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on August 23, 2022, 03:54:02 PM

That's been posted a bunch of times on the forum.  Wonder how many times in this thread... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on August 23, 2022, 04:57:08 PM

That's been posted a bunch of times on the forum.  Wonder how many times in this thread... :D

After a search for "Barnstable", "Hyannis", "cape cod" and/or with "Interstate 6" had no direct results in this thread or any other, I'm going to also blatantly and lazily assume that I'm the first.

That doesn't mean nobody else ever saw nor discussed it elsewhere.

PurdueBill

Quote from: formulanone on August 23, 2022, 05:27:16 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 23, 2022, 04:57:08 PM

photo

After a search for "Barnstable", "Hyannis", "cape cod" and/or with "Interstate 6" had no direct results in this thread or any other, I'm going to also blatantly and lazily assume that I'm the first.

That doesn't mean nobody else ever saw nor discussed it elsewhere.

Until the mid-90s it was the Mass way to only show I-shields on paddle signs, and even then (especially on the lower sign) an Interstate might be in text (many specimens with 95 in text survived until fairly recently)...and given the penchant for messing up the shield (MA 202 rectangles, white I-6, etc.), maybe Mass should have stuck to text mostly!  Any older and this sign would have said "TO RTE 6" without a shield which would have been OK as everything in Mass is a "route"--route 1, route 3, the other route 3, route 95, route 2....

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/tArF4PHXWM9ruSBc6
Wrong County. Should be Burlington County not Atlantic.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

The arrows seem to be a bit off here. (I do not think US 431 is concurrent with its business route in Dothan, AL.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hobsini2

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 07, 2022, 08:18:21 AM
The arrows seem to be a bit off here. (I do not think US 431 is concurrent with its business route in Dothan, AL.)
Nor is North US 231 and Bus 231.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Alex

This assembly in Jacksonville is supposed to be for US 90 ALT and SR 10. Been wrong since 2019.

formulanone

Quote from: Alex on September 10, 2022, 07:11:51 PM

This assembly in Jacksonville is supposed to be for US 90 ALT and SR 10. Been wrong since 2019.

Heh, saw this last week and you've saved me trouble of posting it.

Ironically, there's the tiny 10A nearby.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

ClassicHasClass

^^^^

you-had-one-job dept.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/MaCJY6eNF1XxQFbr9
Isn't this Mainline US 62?

Also isn't there a Business US 68 that concurs with US 62 through Aberdeen, OH  and Maysville, KY?

Sheryl Crowe

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 23, 2022, 03:07:28 PM

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 25, 2022, 08:09:28 PM
^^^^
you-had-one-job dept.

You don't think that maybe, just maybe, that DDOT changed the name so that folks won't think the street will take them towards Virginia?  I always found it odd that Virginia Avenue is on a diagonal such that it runs kinda parallel to the Potomac River at a distance such that the line would never intersect the river (nor the state).  At least Maryland Avenue does take you towards Maryland.  (Yeah, big whup.  So do most of the streets in the District).

amroad17

Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2022, 09:00:13 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/MaCJY6eNF1XxQFbr9
Isn't this Mainline US 62?

Also isn't there a Business US 68 that concurs with US 62 through Aberdeen, OH  and Maysville, KY?
This is mainline US 62.  There is no longer a Business US 62 through Aberdeen, OH and Maysville, KY since the US 68 bypass of the two cities was completed around 2015.  The bypass used to cross the Harsha Bridge and then ended at KY 9/10/AA Highway.  US 62/68 was routed on the bypass, then was routed on the AA Highway to where US 62 currently crosses KY 9 in Maysville.  Current US 62 through Maysville and Aberdeen was the business route for US 62/68.

There is a Business US 68.  It goes from where US 68 splits off on the bypass south of Maysville to the US 62 intersection a couple of miles away.  That's it.  It should be posted as a US 68 Spur or a KY 3X68 state highway.

Both KYTC and Ohio DOT should correct the signage for these routes through Maysville and Aberdeen.  There are quite a few errors.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

1995hoo

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 25, 2022, 11:13:00 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 23, 2022, 03:07:28 PM

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 25, 2022, 08:09:28 PM
^^^^
you-had-one-job dept.

You don't think that maybe, just maybe, that DDOT changed the name so that folks won't think the street will take them towards Virginia?  I always found it odd that Virginia Avenue is on a diagonal such that it runs kinda parallel to the Potomac River at a distance such that the line would never intersect the river (nor the state).  At least Maryland Avenue does take you towards Maryland.  (Yeah, big whup.  So do most of the streets in the District).

Well, it IS the same agency that posted the signs seen below on Vermont Avenue (they're still there). The thread is locked, so I'll link the post for now because the iPad browser won't let me get a link to the image. I'll edit this later from my PC when I have time.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3521.msg2304034#msg2304034

Edited to add: Notice the same error appears on two signs in this photo.

hbelkins

The routings of US 62 and US 68 have changed a number of times since the new bridge was built. Originally, US 62 and US 68 followed the AA Highway west to the turnoff for the new route and bridge. The new connector route originally had a 3000-series state route number before both US highways were routed onto it.

When the US 68 bypass was built, no intersection with US 62 was created. The roads cross at a grade separation with no interchange. Therefore, US 62 is routed back through downtown.

It's signed properly in Kentucky, but still signed as Business 62 in Ohio.

I have a number of photos over the years showing how the signage evolved on both sides of the river.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.