News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in TX

Started by Grzrd, October 09, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBox

The first half of the Corrigan bypass is now visible on Google Maps satellite
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?


The Ghostbuster

Here is the image of the future US 59/future Interstate 69 western bypass of Corrigan: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.9904612,-94.8325865,4797m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu.

bwana39

Quote from: TheBox on February 25, 2024, 02:43:57 PM
The first half of the Corrigan bypass is now visible on Google Maps satellite

This bypass should at least extend to US-287 on both ends. It should run US-287 on the southeast side of Corrigan to US-59 south of Corrigan as well.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Some one

#2703
Quote from: bwana39 on February 26, 2024, 02:56:17 PM
Quote from: TheBox on February 25, 2024, 02:43:57 PM
The first half of the Corrigan bypass is now visible on Google Maps satellite

This bypass should at least extend to US-287 on both ends. It should run US-287 on the southeast side of Corrigan to US-59 south of Corrigan as well.
With US 287 being studied for interstate feasibility, that might come sooner rather than later.

Thegeet

Quote from: Some one on February 26, 2024, 03:35:35 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on February 26, 2024, 02:56:17 PM
Quote from: TheBox on February 25, 2024, 02:43:57 PM
The first half of the Corrigan bypass is now visible on Google Maps satellite

This bypass should at least extend to US-287 on both ends. It should run US-287 on the southeast side of Corrigan to US-59 south of Corrigan as well.
With US 287 being studies for interstate feasibility, that might come sooner rather than later.
Now, if they could update the El Campo imagery...

Chris

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 26, 2024, 02:10:27 PM
Here is the image of the future US 59/future Interstate 69 western bypass of Corrigan: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.9904612,-94.8325865,4797m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu.

Google Earth provides a date of August 11, 2023 for the satellite image.

splashflash


splashflash

Good I-69 progress projection
https://www.dailysentinel.com/news/local/txdot-i-69-wont-be-funded-until-2034/article_cd8b98f0-0ed3-59ec-aa67-858bfe9ea0ee.html

A massive construction project at south Loop 224 is set to be complete in late 2026, but it will be more than a decade before an interstate highway goes all the way through Nacogdoches.

Just over 28 miles of interstate are under construction within TxDOT's nine-county Lufkin District, including Nacogdoches' U.S. 59 and Loop 224 interchange reconfiguration.

Another oft discussed I-69 project is the reconstruction of the U.S. 59 and U.S. 259 intersection, long known as a dicey spot for commercial trucks due to accidents. The project, which will remove the cloverleaf-style intersection and add ramps and access roads, isn't expected to begin construction until 2029.

"I think it's going to take three to four years to purchase all that property and then relocate utilities," Adams said.

A third I-69 project — reconstruction of the west Loop to include access roads — is even further down on the timeline. It will be recommended for funding in the state's 2025 10-year plan for construction in 2034.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: splashflash on April 23, 2024, 12:35:36 AMGood I-69 progress projection
https://www.dailysentinel.com/news/local/txdot-i-69-wont-be-funded-until-2034/article_cd8b98f0-0ed3-59ec-aa67-858bfe9ea0ee.html

I see in the same article that TxDOT wants to redo the US 259/TX 204 intersection.  It's currently a "Y" with a picnic area in the middle of the Y/triangle.  The redo will make it a "T" instead; I guess that will take out the picnic area, the only one on TX 204.  The widening of US 259 to add a left turn lane north of TX 204 is also mentioned.

Alex

Quote from: TheBox on February 25, 2024, 02:43:57 PMThe first half of the Corrigan bypass is now visible on Google Maps satellite
Quote from: Chris on February 27, 2024, 08:37:51 AMGoogle Earth provides a date of August 11, 2023 for the satellite image.

Been a lot of progress since August of last year. Here is the Corrigan bypass on April 22, 2024 from the Copernicus satellite:


05danper42842

It looks huge probably the fact it has to do a big bypass since the town is spread throughout along the road.
They just separated almost the whole industrial zone. Except for the one place up north.
Daniel Perez

TheBox

Quote from: Alex on April 23, 2024, 01:54:06 PM
Quote from: TheBox on February 25, 2024, 02:43:57 PMThe first half of the Corrigan bypass is now visible on Google Maps satellite
Quote from: Chris on February 27, 2024, 08:37:51 AMGoogle Earth provides a date of August 11, 2023 for the satellite image.

Been a lot of progress since August of last year. Here is the Corrigan bypass on April 22, 2024 from the Copernicus satellite:



Quote from: 05danper42842 on April 23, 2024, 09:40:25 PMIt looks huge probably the fact it has to do a big bypass since the town is spread throughout along the road.
They just separated almost the whole industrial zone. Except for the one place up north.

And how's the Diboll bypass right now?
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

J N Winkler

Quote from: TheBox on April 24, 2024, 12:39:13 PMAnd how's the Diboll bypass right now?

As photographed by the Sentinel-2 satellite two days ago, on April 22, 2024:

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheBox

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 24, 2024, 02:43:14 PM
Quote from: TheBox on April 24, 2024, 12:39:13 PMAnd how's the Diboll bypass right now?

As photographed by the Sentinel-2 satellite two days ago, on April 22, 2024:


No what about the Lufkin expansion north of Lufkin (south of the Redland Love's Travel Stop)
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

The Road Warrior

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 14, 2024, 01:48:36 AMAlso, have they decided whether they will still use the entirety of Loop 20 north of US 59 for I-69, or will they build a cut-off for a more direct connection?

They were planning to have I-69 break off into a direct connection...but they still may use the loop for the eventual extension of I-2 from the Rio Grande Valley along what is now US-83, and have I-2 still I-69 at where ever it breaks off.

CoreySamson

I just drove much of the I-69 corridor in east Texas so I can report on a few things:

From south to north:

Cleveland:
Even though this section of the route recently finished construction, there are no I-69 shields in the area yet even though the road appears to be to interstate standards at least to the southern Loop 573 interchange. The northern terminus of I-69 in Texas right now is effectively Fostoria Road. I am assuming that the road in Cleveland still needs a few upgrades, no? (Someone can correct me on that).

Between Cleveland and Shepherd:
This I think is flying under the radar, but between north Cleveland and the FM 2914 interchange, TxDOT has been laying out the ROW for the new SB feeder road. Dirtwork and bridge pilings are going up now.

Corrigan Bypass:
Lots of trees have been cleared, and earthwork has started on this section, as several people have noticed in this thread. No work has been done on the connections to the existing highway yet, and traffic is flowing normally.

Diboll Bypass:
It appears that the southern end of the bypass has remained untouched since this time last year, which is extremely disappointing progress. The north side has some mild construction, as it looks like SB traffic on US 59 is about to be shifted to start working on the northern overpass. This project has been moving extremely slowly.

Lufkin:
Lots of construction happening on the north side of town on 59. New feeders for the NE section of Loop 287 are being constructed (they appear almost done, actually). Beyond that, US 59 between Loop 287 and the FM 2021 interchange is being shifted a bit to the west on a slightly new alignment, and the current lanes appear that they will become the future NB feeder.

Nacogdoches:
This section has been proceeding well for the parts that I saw. All of the overpasses seem to be in place and some are being painted, but I wasn't able to get a look at the northern section, which I believe is not as far along as the southern section. Construction looks very far along though.

If I had to rank the sites based on current construction activity, it would be Nacogdoches > Lufkin > Cleveland-Shepherd > Corrigan > Diboll.

If I had to rank them based on which I think will get done first I would guess Nacogdoches > Cleveland-Shepherd > Lufkin > Diboll > Corrigan.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

bwana39

I don't think they are completely finished with the Fostoria Rd Underpass project.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

cenlaroads

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 25, 2024, 09:09:21 PMI just drove much of the I-69 corridor in east Texas so I can report on a few things:

From south to north:

Cleveland:
Even though this section of the route recently finished construction, there are no I-69 shields in the area yet even though the road appears to be to interstate standards at least to the southern Loop 573 interchange. The northern terminus of I-69 in Texas right now is effectively Fostoria Road. I am assuming that the road in Cleveland still needs a few upgrades, no? (Someone can correct me on that).

Between Cleveland and Shepherd:
This I think is flying under the radar, but between north Cleveland and the FM 2914 interchange, TxDOT has been laying out the ROW for the new SB feeder road. Dirtwork and bridge pilings are going up now.

Corrigan Bypass:
Lots of trees have been cleared, and earthwork has started on this section, as several people have noticed in this thread. No work has been done on the connections to the existing highway yet, and traffic is flowing normally.

Diboll Bypass:
It appears that the southern end of the bypass has remained untouched since this time last year, which is extremely disappointing progress. The north side has some mild construction, as it looks like SB traffic on US 59 is about to be shifted to start working on the northern overpass. This project has been moving extremely slowly.

Lufkin:
Lots of construction happening on the north side of town on 59. New feeders for the NE section of Loop 287 are being constructed (they appear almost done, actually). Beyond that, US 59 between Loop 287 and the FM 2021 interchange is being shifted a bit to the west on a slightly new alignment, and the current lanes appear that they will become the future NB feeder.

Nacogdoches:
This section has been proceeding well for the parts that I saw. All of the overpasses seem to be in place and some are being painted, but I wasn't able to get a look at the northern section, which I believe is not as far along as the southern section. Construction looks very far along though.

If I had to rank the sites based on current construction activity, it would be Nacogdoches > Lufkin > Cleveland-Shepherd > Corrigan > Diboll.

If I had to rank them based on which I think will get done first I would guess Nacogdoches > Cleveland-Shepherd > Lufkin > Diboll > Corrigan.

Thanks for the informative update.  I can't wait until I-69 is done all the way to Nacogdoches, but just these projects will help immensely.  I guess they'll add 2 new US 59 Business routes for Diboll and Corrigan and extend Nacogdoches' business route south to the new alignment.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 25, 2024, 09:09:21 PMDiboll Bypass:
It appears that the southern end of the bypass has remained untouched since this time last year, which is extremely disappointing progress. The north side has some mild construction, as it looks like SB traffic on US 59 is about to be shifted to start working on the northern overpass. This project has been moving extremely slowly.

I'm pretty annoyed by this in particular.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

Thegeet

Anyone know when they will start anything in Jackson County? Like Ganado?

Bobby5280

Progress on that portion of I-69 seems to be moving in linear fashion from Houston in the Southwest direction. There's active construction in Kendleton, Hungerford and going into Wharton. As those projects finish they'll move into Pierce, El Campo and Louise before reaching Ganado.

It doesn't look like there is a lot of new ROW that has to be bought and cleared. There is quite a few segments of existing freeway, although many of the ramps aren't up to current geometry standards. I don't know how far Southwest the 3x3 lanes arrangement will go. My guess is they'll be upgrading the freeway bypass around Ganado by maybe 2030.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Thegeet on May 29, 2024, 12:27:02 AMAnyone know when they will start anything in Jackson County? Like Ganado?

The 2024 UTP shows no active planning for projects in Jackson County, see page 170.

As Bobby5280 mentioned, projects proceed toward the southwest, and the most recent project to start is in the city of Wharton. The next project, from Wharton to El Campo, is listed at $407 million for bids in December 2026. My perception is that other projects on I-69 south of Victoria are higher priority, such as Riviera, Refugio and Odem.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Phudman

Slow but steady progress

Phudman

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 25, 2024, 09:09:21 PMDiboll Bypass:
It appears that the southern end of the bypass has remained untouched since this time last year, which is extremely disappointing progress. The north side has some mild construction, as it looks like SB traffic on US 59 is about to be shifted to start working on the northern overpass. This project has been moving extremely slowly.

From TXDot Lufkin:

US 59 South: Beginning tomorrow and lasting two weeks, traffic will be confined to a single lane in each direction on the south end of the Diboll Relief Route as crews begin constructing detour pavement. Stay alert, expect delays, and obey all traffic control.

sprjus4

Some updates on the route south of I-37, after driving through recently...

Construction is fully complete between Kingsville and I-37, including a ramp project in Bishop, and the route is fully up to interstate standards. All traffic is using the main lanes, including both directions on the Driscoll bypass, and no cones remain that I could tell. The only thing stopping the posting of I-69E to Kingsville would be federal approval. The speed limit is posted at 70 mph throughout (except the brief 60 mph zone in Robstown), which I imagine will be bumped to 75 mph in the near future, especially since the previous non-limited-access portions north and south of Driscoll were 75 mph pre-construction.

The speed limit remains at 65 mph through the Kingsville area on the pre-existing freeway there, which appears to meet interstate standards.

South of Kingsville (well, along the southern non-freeway portion of the US-77 bypass of the city), the project to upgrade the road to a freeway with frontage roads & overpasses between FM-1356 and US-77 Business south of the city is almost complete. The southbound main lanes were both open and traffic was using them - with a temporary 55 mph speed limit. Northbound looked virtually complete but traffic was still using the frontage roads - with a temporary 45 mph speed limit.

The rural section between Kingsville (south of US-77 Business) and Riveria is ramping up as well... Construction on a northbound frontage road is well underway, and almost complete in a lot of sections. In the median, grading is underway for a new roadway (presumably new southbound main lanes, while converting the existing southbound lanes to a frontage road) and some small bridges (no overpasses yet) have been built. I expect there to at least be one or two interchanges in this section, and another year or two of construction before this section is finished.

From what I recall, I believe construction on a bypass of Riveria will begin in the next year or two.

Recap:

  • I-37 to Kingsville (FM 1356): Fully complete
  • Southern end of Kingsville (FM 1356 to US-77 Business): Almost Complete
  • Kingsville (US-77 Business) to Riveria: Under construction
  • Riveria Bypass: Coming soon



Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.