News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Former President George H.W. Bush Dies at 94

Started by Bruce, November 30, 2018, 11:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 16, 2018, 04:22:29 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 01, 2018, 07:42:16 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 01, 2018, 12:14:02 AM
That leaves Carter, Clinton, George W. Bush, & Obama.  Interesting note, Carter has outlived not too only his successor, but his successor's VP as well.
Another interseting note is that both he and Bush were born in the same year.

When Richard Nixon died, I was sure that Ronald Reagan would be the next former President to go, simply because Reagan was two years older than Nixon, and I was right. After that I was convinced Ford would be next because he was the same age as Nixon (only younger by about seven months), but then Clinton had his first big post-Presidential health scare, and I wasn't as sure of who would go next anymore.

As it turned out, I was still right.

Then when I heard about Jimmy Carter's health problems, I started thinking it might be a toss-up between him and Bush.

Respect.  Do not make threats of any kind.  --sso
I don't know where you got the idea that I was making any threats with this post.

I see no threats. I don't see how anything could be construed as such.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Mapmikey

Quote from: oscar on December 05, 2018, 07:58:39 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 05, 2018, 11:46:24 AM
I think it's done more to grant a federal holiday to ease traffic in DC. One of my FB friends and a forum participant who lives there said the amount of traffic he's seen justifies government offices being closed. And it's certainly not fair to give federal workers in DC a paid day off while federal workers elsewhere have to work.

That's SOP for Federal inaugurations. Unless something changed since I retired in 2011, Federal workers in much of the DC metro area (not limited to DC itself) get that day off, but Federal workers everywhere else are SOL.

This is still policy.  If Presidential Inauguration falls on a weekday then any federal office inside the beltway is given an admin day off.  It is treated like a snow day in that anyone already scheduled to have that day off would not get an in-lieu of holiday like one would for the existing federal holidays.  Days of Mourning are specifically designated as a federal holiday in accordance with law and is treated as a true federal holiday...

cjk374

Quote from: hbelkins on December 16, 2018, 07:02:15 PM
That leaves Carter, Clinton, George W. Bush, & Obama.  Interesting note, Carter has outlived not too only his successor, but his successor's VP as well.

When Richard Nixon died, I was sure that Ronald Reagan would be the next former President to go, simply because Reagan was two years older than Nixon, and I was right. After that I was convinced Ford would be next because he was the same age as Nixon (only younger by about seven months), but then Clinton had his first big post-Presidential health scare, and I wasn't as sure of who would go next anymore.

Then when I heard about Jimmy Carter's health problems, I started thinking it might be a toss-up between him and Bush.

I don't know where you got the idea that I was making any threats with this post.

Seriously. And some people wonder why some complain about over-moderation here. I don't see any threats. Just speculation based on the realities of aging.

Y'all just missed it.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on December 16, 2018, 07:04:59 PM

I see no threats. I don't see how anything could be construed as such.
There was more, before it was removed.

D-Dey65

Apparently part of my message was misinterpreted as a threat. All I said was that Jimmy Carter would be the mostly likely ex-President to die unless somebody assassinates Trump. I wasn't saying I was going to kill either of them, or that anybody else should.

US71

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 16, 2018, 10:57:59 PM
Apparently part of my message was misinterpreted as a threat. All I said was that Jimmy Carter would be the mostly likely ex-President to die unless somebody assassinates Trump. I wasn't saying I was going to kill either of them, or that anybody else should.

That's something I wouldn't even joke about, myself.

abefroman329

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 16, 2018, 10:57:59 PM
I don't really understand why you'd choose to repost the message that was deleted, but I'm not you. I thought it was in extremely poor taste.

1995hoo

The forum's management could potentially get in trouble if they allowed posts that commented on that sort of thing. Not worth it to them to allow that, regardless of how you meant it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 17, 2018, 08:11:15 AM
The forum's management could potentially get in trouble if they allowed posts that commented on that sort of thing. Not worth it to them to allow that, regardless of how you meant it.

Maybe they should block guest access so Mr. Secret Service can't read posts unless he's a member.  :-D :-D :-D

Speculating on an assassination isn't a threat. Can't recall the number of times I read people speculating that some Klan member would off Obama.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on December 17, 2018, 12:30:03 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 17, 2018, 08:11:15 AM

Maybe they should block guest access so Mr. Secret Service can't read posts unless he's a member.  :-D :-D :-D

Speculating on an assassination isn't a threat. Can't recall the number of times I read people speculating that some Klan member would off Obama.

Still in poor taste.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on December 17, 2018, 12:30:03 PMCan't recall the number of times I read people speculating that some Klan member would off Obama.
Two wrongs make a right, it's true.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 17, 2018, 01:21:08 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 17, 2018, 12:30:03 PMCan't recall the number of times I read people speculating that some Klan member would off Obama.

But my point is, I don't think anyone who theorized that it might happen got a visit from the guys in dark suits with no senses of humor. Saying it's a possibility is a lot different than actually threatening to do so.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on December 17, 2018, 04:16:14 PM
But my point is, I don't think anyone who theorized that it might happen got a visit from the guys in dark suits with no senses of humor. Saying it's a possibility is a lot different than actually threatening to do so.

Jack-booted government thugs are orders of magnitude more of something for the populace to worry about, than the handful of Klan members still around.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

allniter89

Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2018, 02:54:56 AM
As I was only 7 (going on 8) when Reagan died, this will be my first time seeing and understanding the process following presidential deaths.

To be honest, I'm glad he finally passed. I'm sure without Barb by his side, life was a struggle. Sure, he had his kids, but living without your life partner has to be excruciatingly difficult, especially in later years. I'm sure he's in a much better place now. I know if one of my grandparents were to die, and both were in ailing health, the best thing would be for both of them to go at the same time.
I've read in the obits a few times one will die & the other dies within a week
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on December 17, 2018, 04:16:14 PM

Not worth it to them, as 1995hoo said.  Wouldn't be worth it to me.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.