News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Quad Cities to DC area

Started by pianocello, May 30, 2016, 11:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianocello

I'm driving from Davenport to the College Park, MD soon for the summer. I already have a hotel booked in eastern Ohio, so I know the first leg will be along I-74 and I-70. As far as day 2 of driving goes, I'm planning to continue along I-70 to New Stanton, PA. After that, I'm still torn between the Turnpike to Breezewood to Maryland and taking US-119 up to US-30 to Breezewood, where I would catch I-70 and 270 to metro DC.

Most of my route choices are based on road clinching; I've been on all of the PA Turnpike west of Breezewood before, so the only reason for using it again is to save time. However, I can't move in before 5 pm on the second day, so I might have to find a way to kill time anyway. Since timing is a non-issue, I'm also open to other, completely different routes between Wheeling, WV and College Park.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or things I should be aware of?

(edited wording. Grammar Nazism kicked in.)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

froggie

What time of day do you expect to hit the DC Beltway?  That will play a big factor in how long it takes you to get to College Park.

pianocello

Quote from: froggie on May 31, 2016, 08:27:46 AM
What time of day do you expect to hit the DC Beltway?  That will play a big factor in how long it takes you to get to College Park.

Friday afternoon, could be any time between 2 and 5. I realize that that will add a significant amount of time, but how delayed does it usually get in the 10 miles between I-270 and US-1? Would it be worth finding a surface street alternative?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

froggie

In short, moderately-to-heavily delayed (especially towards the latter half of your time window), and there are no good street alternatives that aren't traffic-clogged themselves.

Probably your best alternative to slugging it out on the Beltway would be to get off 270 at 370 and take the ICC over, then come into College Park from the northeast.  Or, since you said you can't move in before 5 anyway, you could just stick with the Beltway and then take either University Blvd (MD 193) or Route 1 (US 1) into College Park.

hbelkins

From Wheeling, I-70 east to I-79 south to I-68 east to rejoin I-70. This is, after all, the reverse of Maryland's touted "alternate route to Ohio and points west."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: pianocello on May 30, 2016, 11:50:42 PM
I'm still torn between the Turnpike to Breezewood to Maryland and taking US-119 up to US-30 to Breezewood, where I would catch I-70 and 270 to metro DC.

US-30 can be quite scenic - though 119 & 30 around the Greensburg area (really till you get past the greater Latrobe area) has a hefty amount of traffic signals - though if you're not in a hurry, it's not that bad.  If you have enough time, there's always the Flight 93 Memorial off of US-30. 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

sbeaver44

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 31, 2016, 08:21:27 PM
Quote from: pianocello on May 30, 2016, 11:50:42 PM
I'm still torn between the Turnpike to Breezewood to Maryland and taking US-119 up to US-30 to Breezewood, where I would catch I-70 and 270 to metro DC.

US-30 can be quite scenic - though 119 & 30 around the Greensburg area (really till you get past the greater Latrobe area) has a hefty amount of traffic signals - though if you're not in a hurry, it's not that bad.  If you have enough time, there's always the Flight 93 Memorial off of US-30. 

I always preferred PA 31 over US 30 west of Bedford.  No twisty mountain passes, and more scenery IMO.  You can get on at I-70 or Donegal, and it rejoins US 30 just west of Bedford.  55 in many places, too.

Brandon

Use some caution in the work zone going through Morton on I-74.  They are using the camera van quite often there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

pianocello

Thanks for all your feedback. I made the drive this past Thursday and Friday, taking I-74 to I-70 to my stop west of Wheeling, and I-70, US-119, US-30, I-70, and I-270 to the metro area. I severely mistimed my arrival, though, and entered the Beltway around 5 pm. On the return trip, I'm probably going to heed HB's advice and take the "alternate" route, from there I'll hit US-30 west at some point to return to Valpo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.