News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Gaps in state highways

Started by golden eagle, May 23, 2010, 08:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

For Utah, anywhere a state route is involved with a multiplex is considered a gap (and even with US Routes and I-84, in the legislature books, at least, though their mileposts continue throughout the multiplex):

--UT-30 has 2, the first from the I-84 interchange to I-15's Exit 385 (connected by I-84 and I-15), then another one on US-89 from Logan to Garden City

--UT-118 in Richfield is overlayed with UT-120 (Richfield's I-70 business loop) from the south end of town to the north end, splitting off and following US-89's former alignment (since US-89 is duplexed with I-70)

--UT-71 has a short one in multiplexing US-89 at the very south end of state street in the Salt Lake Valley.

--UT-48 has one with UT-68 (Redwood Road), though there are some signs pointing you in the direction of westbound UT-48 along with southbound UT-68:

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Bickendan

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 24, 2010, 01:40:04 AM
speaking of Arizona... I believe Arizona 95 still unofficially ducks into California to this day.  In Needles there are several ADOT-issued signs that say "to 95", trailblazing it correctly in both directions. 
I just checked the route on Google; it doesn't look like AZ 95 hits California at all, though it comes close at I-40 exit 1.

Bryant5493

Mississippi State Route 15 has a gap, as well as Georgia State Route 28. S.R. 28 continues into South and North Carolina with the same number, and then it re-enters Georgia in the northeast portion of the state.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

TheStranger

Quote from: Bickendan on May 24, 2010, 03:06:10 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 24, 2010, 01:40:04 AM
speaking of Arizona... I believe Arizona 95 still unofficially ducks into California to this day.  In Needles there are several ADOT-issued signs that say "to 95", trailblazing it correctly in both directions. 
I just checked the route on Google; it doesn't look like AZ 95 hits California at all, though it comes close at I-40 exit 1.

The route Google Maps shows as being part of AZ 95 from I-40 Exit 1 to the intersection of Harbor and Courtwright near Arizona Village has been deprecated - IIRC, it runs through Native American lands - so 95 officially has a gap between I-40 Exit 9 in Arizona and the aforementioned intersection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Route_95
Chris Sampang

national highway 1

On Google Maps, it shows AZ 95 continuing from an exit E of the Colorado. Is that true?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

TheStranger

Quote from: ausinterkid on May 25, 2010, 12:30:38 AM
On Google Maps, it shows AZ 95 continuing from an exit E of the Colorado. Is that true?

AZ 95 north of I-40 Exit 1 to the bridge to Needles is no longer state-maintained and no longer signed as AZ 95.
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on May 25, 2010, 01:00:08 AM

AZ 95 north of I-40 Exit 1 to the bridge to Needles is no longer state-maintained and no longer signed as AZ 95.

that must be the section I was thinking of when I thought it went into California.

Google Maps shows Mojave County route 1 as 95, and in fact there was as of 2007 a 95 sign in Golden Shores.

however, the way the road is trailblazed in California is to take I-40 into Needles, and then K Street to Levee Way, across the state line to Harbor Ave, and then reconnect with Mojave County 1 at Courtwright Road.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

national highway 1

Why does AZDot let AZ 95 traffic into CA? It's a stupid place to leave a gap and a detour in a SH
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

TheStranger

Quote from: ausinterkid on May 25, 2010, 06:01:27 PM
Why does AZDot let AZ 95 traffic into CA? It's a stupid place to leave a gap and a detour in a SH

AZDot actually paid for the signage in Needles IIRC, as they came up with the routing in the wake of transferring the old alignment to the county.  Basically, they were not going to continue to hold rights to the existing route from I-40 north (which runs in Native American territory) and as an alternative, put up the permanent detour.
Chris Sampang

WNYroadgeek

PA 426 is split into two separate portions as it goes into New York for 13 miles, where it is designated as NY 426.

national highway 1

US 422 has a gap because of its parent US 22

Revive 755

Quote from: corco on May 23, 2010, 08:26:33 PM
N-103 has two segments as well- one goes from I-80 south to N-4 west of Beatrice, and the other goes from US-136 west of Beatrice south to N-8. These are also on the same longitudinal plane and could theoretically be connected one day.

If Nebraska ever bothers to get rid of their ridiculous mileage cap  :ded:

What's worse is that some of the routes had numbers changed that resulted in the creation of gaps.  I'm pretty sure the southern half of NE 103 was a two digit route at one time.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 28, 2010, 09:23:08 PM
mileage cap

I've still not yet heard a cogent explanation for why this is a good idea. Anyone know why states have this policy?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

huskeroadgeek

N-103 has two segments as well- one goes from I-80 south to N-4 west of Beatrice, and the other goes from US-136 west of Beatrice south to N-8. These are also on the same longitudinal plane and could theoretically be connected one day.
I have lived in Nebraska for most of my life, and I have never heard of anything about a

What's worse is that some of the routes had numbers changed that resulted in the creation of gaps.  I'm pretty sure the southern half of NE 103 was a two digit route at one time.
mileage cap

I have never heard anything about a mileage cap in Nebraska. Not saying there isn't one, but I've just never heard of it. Where did you hear about this? BTW-the southern half of NE 103 has been NE 103 since it was created in the 1930s, as far as I know. The portion between Crete and NE 4 used to be NE 82 until about 1970-I don't know why they changed the number. Perhaps they intended at the time to connect the two sections.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 28, 2010, 09:32:15 PM
mileage cap

I've still not yet heard a cogent explanation for why this is a good idea. Anyone know why states have this policy?

Because they have a finite amount of employees and money?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Forgot about Tennessee's most prominent gap, which is TN 66. That route runs from Sevierville to I-40 and then disappears. It pops back up to the northeast somewhere (I forget the town) and there is no signage in the gap.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

Why does US 422 have a gap?

Scott5114

Quote from: osu-lsu on May 29, 2010, 01:38:23 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 28, 2010, 09:32:15 PM
mileage cap

Because they have a finite amount of employees and money?

I assume it is to force the DOT to focus on the "truly" important routes, to avoid situations like Wyoming (random spur routes off to nowhere) or Missouri and Texas (gobs and gobs of secondary, local-access routes on the state rolls). Oklahoma is such a mileage-cap state, yet that still doesn't stop things like OK-96 from existing. :ded:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheStranger

The bigger question that has to be raised is this: What navigational purpose does a true route gap (so not counting definitional technicalities that do not reflect signed concurrencies in the field, even as vaguely signed as those around I-465) serve?  If the gap is substantial enough, it practically calls for using a second route number for the second segment.

I guess in California's case, it seems as if it requires legislative action to do anything highway-related - even something as simple as a renumbering - so it's easier to maintain stasis and just remove route segments piece-by-piece, which doesn't benefit anyone on a signage level whatsoever.
Chris Sampang

Revive 755

Quote from: huskerroadgeekhave never heard anything about a mileage cap in Nebraska. Not saying there isn't one, but I've just never heard of it. Where did you hear about this?

Via NDOR, through two different employees on two different occasions, and one person who may have been on whatever form the state highway commission takes out in Nebraska.

Quote from: osu-lsuBecause they have a finite amount of employees and money?

And the same supplies are infinite for the cities and counties?  A cap would work better if Nebraska had a good county system like Iowa.

Quote from: Scott5114I assume it is to force the DOT to focus on the "truly" important routes, to avoid situations like Wyoming (random spur routes off to nowhere) or Missouri and Texas (gobs and gobs of secondary, local-access routes on the state rolls).

Might have been the intent, but that doesn't seem to work well when the system needs to be expanded.  Worst examples I can think of are dumping NE 44 through Kearney when the new bypass for NE 10 opens some year, NE 2 through Lincoln if the South Beltway ever gets built (current NE 2 through most of Lincoln is at least a semi-expressway), and dumping NE 370 when the new bridge for US 34 opens south of Bellevue, but the existing NE 370 bridge stays open.  And if the focus is on truly important routes, why hasn't US 6 been rerouted onto I-480, or US 275 and NE 92 at least partly on I-80?

huskeroadgeek

So are you saying those routes shouldn't be dropped from the system when said bypasses are built? I don't see any reason to keep the old routes in the system if they are just city routes. My guess is NE 44 would just be ended at I-80 rather than at US 30, the eastern segment of NE 2 would just be rerouted to begin at where the South Beltway meets US 77(it will likely follow Saltillo Rd. since it is already a major E-W county road), and NE 370 would probably be ended at US 75. All of those make sense to me. Why US 6 through downtown Omaha has never been put on I-480 or why US 275/NE 92 still goes on L St. instead of following I-80 I don't know.

TheStranger

I think it depends on the importance of the city route too: sometimes they handle so much regional traffic that they should continue to receive state maintenance, as is the case with Routes 82 and 238 in the San Francisco Bay Area, and US 40/287/Business I-70 (Colfax Avenue) in Denver.

Chris Sampang

Revive 755

^Well, I would consider the current NE 2 in Lincoln, current NE 44 and NE 10 in Kearney, and NE 370 important for regionally traffic.  Current NE 2 would still be the main route into Lincoln from the SouthEast, and the volumes appear to stay high enough that the city will be looking at major upgrades that could include replacing some intersections with interchanges.  NE 44 and NE 10 would still be the main route into Kearney (I'm not sure Kearney even needs an eastern bypass anyway - is there really that much traffic going through on NE 44-NE 10?).  NE 370 is important for regional traffic since it connects to a river crossing.

huskeroadgeek

Moving NE 2 to the South Beltway(if it ever gets built) would remove most of the truck traffic off of the current route, which is the biggest gripe people have about it now. I have not heard of any plans to add interchanges to the current route-but I suppose it could happen at some point. A bypass of Kearney has been talked about for a long time. 2nd Avenue(the current NE 44/NE 10) can be pretty busy all the way up to the NE 40 jct., which is where the bypass would come in at. NE 370 is a very important regional route going between I-80 and Papillion/Bellevue, but less so E. of US 75, where it's mostly local traffic. The current bridge though is important as a connection for local traffic to I-29, but I guess the assumption is that more of the local traffic would use the new US 34 bridge since it would bypass Plattsmouth and come in closer to Bellevue on US 75.

florida

FL 189 (one in Fort Walton Beach/Mary Esther area, the other from Baker to the Alabama Line)
FL 228 (a break between Maxville and Macclenny)
FL 2 (one in the Panhandle, the other north of Lake City)
FL 145 (if you consider it a gap)
FL 15 (three segments)
FL 5 (a break in West Palm Beach)
FL 115 (both segments end two exits from each other on I-95)
FL 211 (Ortega Bridge is state maintained, but not signed)
FL 231 (one in Brooker, another in Lake Butler)
FL 25 (a break between Belleview and Lady Lake)
FL 551 (technically has a split near its southern end)
FL 590 (not maintained through Safety Harbor)
FL 582 (one in Tarpon Springs, another in Tampa)
FL 54 (split near I-75, bypassed by newer-created FL 56 and FL 581)
FL 600 (split in Lakeland)
FL 17 (loops in Sebring/Avon Park and then runs parallel to US 27 in Polk County up to Haines City)
FL 78 (one in Fort Myers, another from LaBelle to Okeechobee)
FL 951 (from Marco Island to US 41, and another is the short connector between FL 84 and I-75 in Naples)
FL 80 (technically there is a split in downtown Fort Myers)
FL 865 (two segments in Fort Myers)
FL 811 (one in Broward County, two others in Palm Beach County)
FL 806 (a break in downtown Delray Beach.)
FL 820 (a break in downtown Hollywood)
FL 922 (not maintained across the toll bridge)
FL 825 (both along SW 137th, one serves the Tamiami Airport in Kendall, the other connects US 41 to the extended FL 836)

So many roads...so little time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.