News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Has Anyone Ever Clinched I-40?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, September 19, 2018, 05:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Have you clinched I-40 or another similar coast to coast interstate? I think it would be cool to do something like this as a mega road trip. Being that I live in Arkansas, I would have to decided on which way to drive and then wind up making three trips total.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

sparker

I've clinched both I-10 (the last segment in 2001) and I-80; accomplished that in almost one fell swoop (Roseville CA to I-280 in NJ) back in the spring of 1989.  In regards to I-40, I'm missing I-81 to Waynesville, NC, I-26 to Winston-Salem, and everything east of I-85.  I'd have I-90 in the bag as well except for one measly little section between I-87 and US 20 at Exit #2 on the MassPike.  Close but no cigar!

Duke87

That is an oddly specific question but yes, in fact, I have clinched I-40.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on September 19, 2018, 06:17:56 PM
I've clinched both I-10 (the last segment in 2001) and I-80; accomplished that in almost one fell swoop (Roseville CA to I-280 in NJ) back in the spring of 1989.  In regards to I-40, I'm missing I-81 to Waynesville, NC, I-26 to Winston-Salem, and everything east of I-85.  I'd have I-90 in the bag as well except for one measly little section between I-87 and US 20 at Exit #2 on the MassPike.  Close but no cigar!

I've clinched I-10 twice and I'm just missing part of I-40 in North Carolina.  Honestly (in response to the OP) really aside from needing to get somewhere fast I'd rather take something way more on the scenic side than an Interstate for a "mega road trip."  Granted I-40 goes through some cool regions that have nearby access to US 66 segments and National Parks but man I-10 just plain sucks in terms of scenery.

Henry

I-20 and I-70 are nearly transcontinental (but not quite), and anyone can clinch I-30 in one shot, so it's a little bit surprising that the original post would include I-40 only. But yeah, I have been able to do it as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

paulthemapguy

Are you asking if people have clinched it in one sitting?  Or if people have been on all parts of it in general?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jon daly

When I was in the Army back in '89, I moved all the way from Monterey, CA to Fort Devens, MA by way of Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX. So I made it coast to coast in two trips, but I took many highways.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 20, 2018, 09:32:28 AM
Are you asking if people have clinched it in one sitting?  Or if people have been on all parts of it in general?
I mean, if you can, go for it! But, no I don't think people would want to do that.

Quote from: Duke87 on September 19, 2018, 07:20:45 PM
That is an oddly specific question but yes, in fact, I have clinched I-40.
It was just a question that popped into my head.

abefroman329

Quote from: Henry on September 20, 2018, 09:28:49 AM
I-20 and I-70 are nearly transcontinental (but not quite), and anyone can clinch I-30 in one shot, so it's a little bit surprising that the original post would include I-40 only. But yeah, I have been able to do it as well.
I-90 is fully transcontinental. I'd argue I-80 is, too.

webny99

I'd have I-90 in the bag as well except for one measly little section between I-87 and US 20 at Exit #2 on the MassPike.  Close but no cigar!

In my case, at one point I actually had all of I-90 between Rochester, MN and Boston, MA - except for the very segment closest to my location (this segment) !!

I have at last clinched that stretch now, as well as the segment between I-35 and Rapid City, so the segment between Rochester, MN (US 52) and I-35 is my new glaring omission.

Jim

Travel Mapping has 10 users with an I-40 clinch, including me:

+---------------+
| traveler      |
+---------------+
| aaroads       |
| chaddean      |
| duke87        |
| mapcat        |
| mefailenglish |
| okroads       |
| oscar         |
| rlee          |
| terescoj      |
| valedc03ls    |
+---------------+

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I have virtually clinched all of I-40 in Arkansas.

paulthemapguy

You're getting a good start.  When I was your age, I was focusing purely on goals in my home state.  I just wanted to get a photo of every state highway in Illinois.  It feels good to achieve goals that are...well, achievable.  A lot of people on this forum have many more years than either of us--that's why they have accomplished so many clinches and goals of that ilk.  You'll get around to where they're at, if that's what you want.  My only advice is to make sure your goals are what YOU want to do regardless of what anyone else thinks.  Just because others clinch highways and count counties doesn't mean that's what your goals have to be, too.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

webny99

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 20, 2018, 02:43:11 PM

Virtually, as in, using Street View...?

swhuck

Yes; I finished the eastern NC section about a year and a half ago, largely because you really need to make an effort to get to Wilmington even under the best of circumstances. I've also clinched I-10 and I-80, both many years ago. Missing most of I-90 in Minnesota, New York, and Massachusetts; remaining states long since clinched..
Clinched: I-2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 35, 37, 39, 40, 43, 44, 45, 55, 59, 65, 66, 68, 70, 71, 72, 76 (both), 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 (W), 85, 86 (W), 88 (W), 93, 94, 96, 97
US50, 101, 175, 199, 290, 380, 491/666
Clinched for now: I-11, 14, 49, 57

TheHighwayMan3561

I didn't have any standalone mileage on i-40 until this year, only on the duplexes with I-35 and I-55. This year though I've added some in NC, TN, AR, and NM, though still even the only significant part of that was in TN.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

robbones

I have clinched I 40 from US 54 in NM to I 95 in NC.

LGL164VL

jon daly

I've been on @ 120 miles of I-40 in Arizona as well as the stretch from Little Rock, Ark. to Dandrige, Tenn..

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: webny99 on September 20, 2018, 03:47:12 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 20, 2018, 02:43:11 PM

Virtually, as in, using Street View...?
Well, It was in 2015, but I hadn't developed my interest in the hobby at the time.

kendancy66

In 2003 I moved to CA from Annandale VA.  I drove all of I-40 from I-85 interchange to Barstow,CA  in that one trip, except when I was driving through Nashville I took advised detour on freeway (I-440?) that connected on either side of downtown.  Maybe someone here knows about that downtown Nashville I-40 detour.  I  think it is I-440.  But I am certain that I had driven through Nashville on I-40 on a previous trip, as also have driven the I-40 sections from Durham east through Raleigh and on to the eastern terminus in Wilmington.  I also have driven the original I-40 configuration that only connected Durham to Raleigh (now NC-147) to freeway terminus at Wade Avenue

fillup420

I am only missing the piece west of US 491 in Gallup NM. I did Gallup to Asheville NC in one stint. I have covered the rest of NC over time.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 19, 2018, 07:30:08 PM

I've clinched I-10 twice and I'm just missing part of I-40 in North Carolina.  Honestly (in response to the OP) really aside from needing to get somewhere fast I'd rather take something way more on the scenic side than an Interstate for a "mega road trip."  Granted I-40 goes through some cool regions that have nearby access to US 66 segments and National Parks but man I-10 just plain sucks in terms of scenery.

Honestly, if I were taking a cross-country road trip for the express purpose of clinching a highway, I would focus on US highways.   "Drive US20 end-to-end" sounds more interesting than, say, "drive I-80 end-to-end".

Brandon

No.  I do have I-40 clinched in Tennessee however (I-30, Little Rock, AR to I-26, Asheville, NC) with bits and pieces elsewhere (California, Arizona, Texas).  I have; however, clinched I-70 and I-94, with all of I-80 east of West Wendover, NV.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Techknow

I once traveled from San Jose, CA to Flagstaff, AZ, so I have clinched I-40 in California.

Interestingly on that trip, it was raining on I-40 in California and snowing on the way to and at Flagstaff. Of all the possibly days that could happen, it happened in late April!

SSOWorld

What's left for me - anywhere between OKC and Fort Smith.  Also anywhere east of Raleigh.  Everything else is done.

Ironically - of the E-W Major Interstates, I-40 is in the lead - for a guy who lives between I-80 and I-90.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.