News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

IN US 31 Kokomo Bypass Upgrade Report

Started by mukade, June 26, 2011, 04:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

Quote from: monty on December 30, 2015, 11:43:20 AM
Quote from: bmeiser on December 29, 2015, 04:58:34 PM
They really should just make the freeway upgrade from 28 up to Kokomo. Already removing 1 stoplight and a RR crossing, might as well remove the other and the drives and intersections.

Nexus 7

How about from Kokomo, north? Bridge the RR, interchange at Division Road, and add one more overpass in mid-Tipton County (300N), eliminate the driveways and surface cross-overs and presto, you have a freeway.  The challenge is buying out all those houses that have little alternative options for access.  There's quite a few in Tipton County.
I was just scrolling through the thread and realized I wrote north instead of south on this comment.  Anyway, it would seem that the Kokomo to Westfield segment would make the most sense to invest / improve into a freeway status.  This segment is much older than the Miami & Fulton County segment with more driveway cuts, narrower median / ROW.  It also carries more traffic.
monty

monty

According to today's Kokomo Tribune, work will begin on the new SR 28 interchange next week, beginning with demolition, followed by prep for the center bridge pier over US 31 in March.  http://www.kokomotribune.com/news/indot-contractors-to-begin-work-on---interchange-next/article_f1c5dd1c-c9bb-11e5-a696-dbe3f381100b.html
monty

mukade

Finally, new green signage is going up on US 31 in Kokomo. I noticed two new ones yesterday, and crews were working on another one today. At least a couple of signs were destroyed before the highway opened and were never replaced.

monty

I agree mukade.  Finally!  I saw the crews out today as well.
monty

roadgeek

Can ya post some pics? :D

Quote from: mukade on February 03, 2016, 08:15:36 PM
Finally, new green signage is going up on US 31 in Kokomo. I noticed two new ones yesterday, and crews were working on another one today. At least a couple of signs were destroyed before the highway opened and were never replaced.
My Road Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek31/

Keep checking back for updates!

mukade

As stated several times, at least half of the green signs fell over on US 31 in Kokomo since the highway opened in November, 2013. Several other signs of about the same age blew down on the new I-69 and US 31 south of South Bend, but not nearly as many.

Also, as stated, INDOT finally replaced all of the missing signs in Kokomo this past week.

In looking at the new signs compared to the old ones, I noticed three differences:
1) 3 posts instead of two
2) the metal posts are noticeably larger
3) Larger concrete footings

So I don't see the new signs toppling over very easily.

The signs themselves did not change. They could have changed the ones for SR 22 to say "US 35 NORTH/SR 22 EAST" because SR 22 west of US 31 was turned back to the City of Kokomo over a year ago. But they did not change from the original plans. Also, "East Blvd/CR 100S" technically is no longer CR 100S east of US 31 because of an annexation. Also, it really should be "E Boulevard", not "East Blvd". No changes there either, however.

silverback1065

indot should just kill 22 all together

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 06, 2016, 09:12:36 PM

I would say SR 22 should stay and US 35 should be axed. What purpose does US 35 really serve in Indiana?

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on February 06, 2016, 09:20:11 PM

I would say SR 22 should stay and US 35 should be axed. What purpose does US 35 really serve in Indiana?

i could see that, downgrade the non multiplexed parts to state route status.  it's about as useless as us 421 north of greensburg.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 06, 2016, 09:22:51 PM

i could see that, downgrade the non multiplexed parts to state route status.  it's about as useless as us 421 north of greensburg.

I doubt either 35 or 421 goes away, if for no other reason than that's what people are used to calling those roads. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 07, 2016, 08:50:35 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on February 06, 2016, 09:22:51 PM

I doubt either 35 or 421 goes away, if for no other reason than that's what people are used to calling those roads. 

When I lived in NW Indiana in the 70s and 80s, a lot of locals called 73rd Avenue "330" because it was SR 330 in the 1940s and some called Ridge Rd US 6. What is now SR 161 north of Owensboro to SR 66 has also been US 231, SR 75 and SR 45. And BTW, locals call US 35/SR 22 "22", not US 35. So I don't think that enters into the discussion because route numbers have changed a lot over the years. The US 35 route up north was SR 29 and was SR 21 from Gas City to Richmond. From Logansport to Kokomo, it was supposed to be SR 17 when it was built. US 421 was SR 43 up north. Both of them have a lot of concurrencies now. Reverting to those original numbers makes more sense because no would take the entire route for either one for long distance travel (for example, from Michigan City to Richmond or Michigan City to Madison).

That said, i don't really think INDOT wants to get rid of those designations.

ysuindy

Update on US 31 and SR 28.  The Flamingo Hotel and Marathon Station have been demolished.  There are still some piles of debris.

The buildings on the southeast corner are still standing, but the famous Sherrill's sign is gone.  No more "Eat Here and Get Gas" sign.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sherrills+eat+here+and+get+gas&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxo7WYmorLAhVI4CYKHVyYCXQQsAQIMg

monty

The Eat Here & Get Gas signed is preserved.  Not sure where it will be displayed in the future.  Sherrill's is actually still in business in a temporary location in Tipton.
monty

2trailertrucker

This is traveling north on US 31. The land is where Sherrell's was. Everything has been razed. The Marathon Station, The Flamingo Motel and Sherrel's are all down. While going past this morning, a crew was pumping out an underground gas tank from the Marathon station.

The Transmission Plant is to the right in the background.

ysuindy

ysuindy

SR 28 will close July 19.  US 31 will be reduced to one lane in each direction

http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/INDOT-152647d

westerninterloper

I drove US 31 from Peru to Indy last week --it had been many years since I was on the route, and I was excited for the changes...but outside of the Kokomo bypass - which was smooth and quick - I was surprised that so many traffic lights remain on the highway. I was driving into Indy on a Sunday evening, and traffic was pretty heavy - mostly cars.  We seemed to get stopped at every light.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

silverback1065

Quote from: westerninterloper on July 07, 2016, 08:42:19 PM
I drove US 31 from Peru to Indy last week --it had been many years since I was on the route, and I was excited for the changes...but outside of the Kokomo bypass - which was smooth and quick - I was surprised that so many traffic lights remain on the highway. I was driving into Indy on a Sunday evening, and traffic was pretty heavy - mostly cars.  We seemed to get stopped at every light.

the south bend bypass (us20/31) is in awful shape

westerninterloper

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 10, 2016, 04:42:25 PM
Quote from: westerninterloper on July 07, 2016, 08:42:19 PM

the south bend bypass (us20/31) is in awful shape

I was recenctly on the US 31 leg north of South Bend, halfway to Benton Harbor, and it was also in bad condition.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

silverback1065

They need to resign that entire south bend bypass. The r/w seems really narrow too.

ysuindy

I was on the Kokomo Bypass yesterday and noticed a sign proclaiming the highway as the Haynes-Apperson Highway.  Did not get a chance to get a picture.

I found this link about 2016 Indiana Legislature action to name US 31 in Howard County as the Haynes-Apperson Highway.

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/resolutions/house/concurrent/15

Doing some quick research, Haynes-Apperson was an automobile manufacturer in Kokomo between 1896 and 1905

silverback1065

Quote from: ysuindy on August 18, 2016, 03:44:01 PM
I was on the Kokomo Bypass yesterday and noticed a sign proclaiming the highway as the Haynes-Apperson Highway.  Did not get a chance to get a picture.

I found this link about 2016 Indiana Legislature action to name US 31 in Howard County as the Haynes-Apperson Highway.

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/resolutions/house/concurrent/15

Doing some quick research, Haynes-Apperson was an automobile manufacturer in Kokomo between 1896 and 1905

so that explains the name of the road Apperson Way in the city

tdindy88

With the news today of another EF-3 tornado in Kokomo I can't help to think if we are going to have to go through a third generation of signage along the US 31 bypass.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 24, 2016, 09:11:57 PM
With the news today of another EF-3 tornado in Kokomo I can't help to think if we are going to have to go through a third generation of signage along the US 31 bypass.

signals are out along 931 as well. 

monty

I'm pretty sure some signs were lost at the US 31 & Markland / SR 22 / US 35 interchange.  Tornado was a direct hit there.  It is ironic that no signs have lasted very long in that area.
monty

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.