What would cause you to lose interest in roadgeeking?

Started by hbelkins, January 21, 2019, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

If my heart stopped beating, then losing interest in transportation would be the least of my worries...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

LM117

If I ever went blind (hope I didn't jinx myself) or when the time comes for me to take the ol' dirt nap (hopefully many moons from now).

If I lost the ability to drive that doesn't involve going blind, then it would probably put a dent in it, but it wouldn't kill it.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 21, 2019, 06:10:06 PM
Well, to answer this question, I think that it'd first be useful to have a definition as to what roadgeeking or what "being a roadgeek" is. Judging by the responses so far, it differs for everyone. As such, I don't think you can really give this question a rigorous answer.

That's why I listed a number of different aspects. It's different for everyone. Each person has their own specific interest.

I'm going to read the responses for awhile before I offer my reasons.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

When the cows come home, pigs fly, or hell freezes over...so never!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on January 21, 2019, 04:34:53 PM
There are a number of aspects to this hobby. A non-comprehensive list is general roadtripping, seeing construction or other features, photography, county visiting, route clinching, collecting items such as maps/signs/traffic signals/other memorabilia, attending meets, participating in online forums or communities, and so on. I probably left a few things out.

What, if anything, might cause you to lose interest in the hobby or various parts of it, or possibly give it up altogether?

Not a clue, but I sure as hell won't let people (and their ideological nonsense) get in my way of enjoying it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

inkyatari

IDOT (Illinois) getting their shit together might.

Fortunately there's little chance of that happening.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Chris

From a European perspective, it may be the lack of road projects in some areas. There are countries / regions with very few changes in the road system. Another problem is the high cost of fuel, which is around $ 6 - 7 per gallon in most of Western Europe. This - in addition to tolls - puts up a substantial barrier to long-distance driving. I combine vacations with road trips, but this isn't for everybody.

I've been engaged in the Dutch road enthusiast community for 15 years now. I've seen road enthusiasts come and go. I can understand that at some point people would think 'been there, done that'. I like road projects and those are plentiful in the Netherlands. While we don't build many new roads, much of the system is under reconstruction / widening since the late 2000s, so there is almost always some major, half-billion-plus, road project going on within a 90 minute drive.

vdeane

Going blind, I would think.  So much of what interests me is being able to see things.  If I couldn't drive, I'd still have maps and street view.  When I run out of things I'm interested in clinching in day trip range, I'll still have overnight trips tied to vacations/roadmeets/whatnot, albeit less frequently.  Not sure what would be left for me if I couldn't see, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sparker

Probably my own demise; I've been at it since about 1956 or so -- at least as an observer and young map collector -- so unless I develop a disability that prevents me from absorbing information, my interest will continue.  Of course, the ability to drive and thus gather information independent of others is part of the process; if for some reason that should disappear and a dependency upon others' schedules or preferences prevails, I'd likely find myself having to rearrange my interest into a more academic and data-based format rather than one where much of my information is obtained first-hand and physically.  In short, as long as I can get around and see what's going on, I'll continue as I have, utilizing a combination of personal experience and secondhand acquisition -- but if the first is "truncated" by physical or other disability, the second will just have to suffice.   Since I'm on the edge of 70, a sea change or detour into uncharted territory is always a possibility that for better or worse tends to impinge more and more as time passes.
But then -- to state the obvious -- the more stark alternative is drastically worse!

CNGL-Leudimin

Definitely going blind. I was allowed to get the driver's license despite having an autism spectrum disorder (and exactly what had a eponymous name, but they found the namesake was nazi or sth like that so they recently dropped that and I followed suit). Also passing over.

However there is a even worse factor than this that could make me lose interest in roadgeeking: A major improvement on passenger rail transport. It's bad in my area, but at least it's better than the USA. I really like the rail network they have in Japan, due to that I haven't had little interest in their roads. While I also like public transit (metros, trams -or streetcars as you call them-, city buses), it doesn't usually interfere with roads. In fact on a road trip I did last year I arrived at the edge of a city, left my van there and went into downtown and back by city bus.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jakeroot

Quote from: Eth on January 21, 2019, 06:48:45 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2019, 05:01:35 PM
It's decently likely that I'll end up working and living in an urban area, not likely to be commuting by car. Long-term, I see my interest in roads waning in favor of metros, trains, bikes, scooters, etc. When in DC, I ride the Washington Metro like clockwork, and have already developed an interest in the carriages that are used, and specific features of each series of train. I use scooters to get around Tacoma a lot, so I'm presently studying their effects on urban areas. I've developed a preference for making cars more expensive and less enjoyable in urban areas, through tolls like congestion charges, higher gas taxes and registration fees, the elimination of free parking in commercial areas, etc. This sort of ideology might seem insane to most roadgeeks, but I don't appreciate the car like I once did.

Much of this actually sounds like me. As someone who lives in an urban area and enjoys doing so, I find myself welcoming a lot of these changes. I work from home the majority of the time, and when I do go into the office I take MARTA. As a committed runner, I know the surrounding roads just as well on foot as I do by car, and I generally default to walking anywhere within about a mile. It's not at all uncommon for my car to go unused for several days at a time without me even leaving town.

But that's urban life. I think I still have an appreciation for road-related endeavors in general. I remain fascinated by the concept of how we get from point A to point B as well as the navigational aids we use in doing so.

Growing up, I was extremely car-dependent. I can certainly understand how so many of us developed a passion for roads -- we were basically forced to enjoy it! -- but living in urban areas of DC, lately, has really allowed me to appreciate a car-less life. We have two parking spots, but I see no reason to fill the extra spot, since the Metrorail, buses, and all the scooter and bike rentals surrounding our house makes driving, at the very least, no more convenient. When visiting the denser bits of the city, the car is basically a burden, since we have to dump it somewhere when visiting a point-of-interest. No such hassle with public options like transit or scooters.

I am also fascinated with how we get around; it's basically the only reason that I like roads at all.

ErmineNotyours

I didn't have a car for the past five years, but that helped me focus on things I could see from the bus and on foot.  I discovered AA Roads almost a year ago, after lurking on misc.transport.roads for a while.  Now I can see more photos and maps to illustrate the points being made in text.  Wow!  But here I'm faced with people who know the model name and year of a traffic signal, and the exact font of a sign.  Yikes!  I may not be top dog here, but I hope to keep contributing a little.

slorydn1

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 21, 2019, 04:36:20 PM
Losing the ability to drive would be a big one for me.

But even if I could then find someone to drive for me, losing my sight would be even worse. So much of this hobby depends on eyesight that going blind would be a killer. I even made a topic about it once.

I'm with you. Losing sight would pretty much be a deal breaker for me, too. I could always get someone else to take me on a road trip, but what good would it be if I couldn't see anything?
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

kphoger

I had no car from 1999 to around 2004 or so, then briefly had a car but sold it when I couldn't afford the basic repairs it needed.  My wife and I have only ever owned one car at a time and, when we first got married, we worked in different towns and hers was farther away.

During that time, I used many modes of transportation to get around.  It was hitchhiking that led me to learn about state and municipal traffic laws, which has become a valuable part of the discussion on this forum.

On foot, also, it's easier to pay more attention to things like street signage, signals, etc.  Slower speed, after all.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: jakeroot on January 23, 2019, 04:40:50 PMGrowing up, I was extremely car-dependent. I can certainly understand how so many of us developed a passion for roads -- we were basically forced to enjoy it! -- but living in urban areas of DC, lately, has really allowed me to appreciate a car-less life. We have two parking spots, but I see no reason to fill the extra spot, since the Metrorail, buses, and all the scooter and bike rentals surrounding our house makes driving, at the very least, no more convenient. When visiting the denser bits of the city, the car is basically a burden, since we have to dump it somewhere when visiting a point-of-interest. No such hassle with public options like transit or scooters.
Same for me - I specifically moved to DC after college, in part, because I wanted to, at minimum, be able to commute by public transit (even if I needed a car to run errands on the weekends).  I can find a way to enjoy trips to car-centric places, but it's not a lifestyle I want to lead perennially.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 24, 2019, 02:02:01 PM
On foot, also, it's easier to pay more attention to things like street signage, signals, etc.  Slower speed, after all.

This is a huge benefit. If I see a cool sign or signal, that's a huge hassle in a car. Hopefully, I can get my camera out quickly enough. If not, I have to circle back around (could take a while), all the while watching for cops who might ticket me for taking a photo. On foot? Not only is it obviously way easier since you just stop and take the damn photo, the overall quality is going to be better.

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 24, 2019, 02:16:38 PM
I specifically moved to DC after college, in part, because I wanted to, at minimum, be able to commute by public transit (even if I needed a car to run errands on the weekends).  I can find a way to enjoy trips to car-centric places, but it's not a lifestyle I want to lead perennially.

Indeed, same for me. Suburban + car living is fine for most people, but it's not really my thing. I prefer denser areas where things are close together, and don't necessarily require vehicles. Especially in this country, city living is great because public transit is so cheap, which is not necessarily the case in transit-heavy foreign metropolitan areas like Tokyo. If I can find a place that allows me to use the bus or train, my transportation expenses are quite low. Even if I have a car at home, driving it 1000 miles every three months reduces my maintenance costs in the short-term, plus, my resale value goes way up.

Bruce

For me, losing access to both places to photograph and resources to look through could spell the end of my roadgeeking.

Beltway

Blindness would end or sharply limit most hobbies. 

Golf and astronomy are two other major hobbies of mine.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Beltway on January 25, 2019, 12:58:53 AM
Blindness would end or sharply limit most hobbies. 

Golf and astronomy are two other major hobbies of mine.
That's why most people would rather go deaf. One exception is music buffs.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jon daly

Roadmaps are my thing and I finally joined RMCA. I'll probably maintain a mild interest in them and the history of roads, but there will be times (like the last month or so) when I'll be too busy with other things to talk about them online.

Baseball's like that for me. I'm a little burnt out on sabermetrics after gabbing about the topic online for 18 years, but it is still my favorite sport.

corco

If I otherwise got a life.

I'm not even really sure I'm a roadgeek anymore - I still like to travel and clinch things, but otherwise I'm indifferent to most aspects of the hobby.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: corco on January 26, 2019, 02:00:46 PM

I'm not even really sure I'm a roadgeek anymore - I still like to travel and clinch things, but otherwise I'm indifferent to most aspects of the hobby.
You seem kind of like me. I am a roadgeek but I'm not really into things like sign fonts.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 26, 2019, 02:03:18 PM
Quote from: corco on January 26, 2019, 02:00:46 PM

You seem kind of like me. I am a roadgeek but I'm not really into things like sign fonts.

Better than roadgeeks who get all wound up over a non-standard typeface. I think it's cool when something unusual is used.

Ben114

1. self-driving cars (if I had a choice, I would never get one)
2. destruction of all roads
3. Clearview takeover
4. a disability which causes me to lose the ability to drive
5. death

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ben114 on January 26, 2019, 07:42:48 PM
1. self-driving cars (if I had a choice, I would never get one)
2. destruction of all roads
3. Clearview takeover
4. a disability which causes me to lose the ability to drive
5. death
Self driving cars might actually improve my road intrest.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.