April 6 2024 - Eclipse Totality Roadgeek Meet (updated 2/13/14)

Started by kharvey10, August 22, 2022, 12:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kharvey10

Lunch meetup:  11 AM on April 6 at El Rancherito in Mt. Vernon, IL (Mexican restaurant on IL 15 just east of I-57 off Exit 95)

Following lunch on Saturday - will be targeting roadgeek sites of interest around Southern Illinois (the I-57 widening project will be a main priority)

Sunday plans: going into St. Louis area

Monday:  Venue TBD but expect a target location along or near the I-57 corridor between Mt. Vernon and Marion exits.

Update 2/13/24 - I work 3rd shifts at my employer and I cannot take off between April 5 to 9 from work this year as those dates are blacked out for vacation purposes, and cannot reschedule to the other weekends in April due to family obligations.  As a result I had to change the plans of the actual meet and will be putting an optional part of the weekend that will be posted at a later date.  This will only be done on a single day now and will involve an evening meeting place to get together and socialize.

Venue:  April 6, CityPark at 4 PM (meeting at the southeast corner across the street from Maggie O'Briens)

I strongly recommend you joining the St. Louis Roads Facebook group (became private group per decision of group admins in July 2022) for more updated information.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/369721483111108

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

My in-laws are in Indy which is in the path of the eclipse so I'm probably going there.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Maybe for me, there are lots of National Parks and cities nearby my wife hasn't been to yet. 

froggie

Path of totality goes right over my house.  I'll be enjoying it from my patio (weather permitting)...

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

The eclipse doesn't fall during a great time of year for us here in the Northeast (can't even rule out snow in early April) but otherwise, I'm very much looking forward to my first total eclipse. Rochester and Buffalo are both right near the center of totality, with 3 minutes, 41 seconds of totality expected where I'm at. If the weather is good (and maybe even if it isn't), there will probably be an influx of eclipse viewers from both directions.

Here's an eclipse map for anyone interested: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on August 22, 2022, 08:17:18 AM
The eclipse doesn't fall during a great time of year for us here in the Northeast (can't even rule out snow in early April) but otherwise, I'm very much looking forward to my first total eclipse. Rochester and Buffalo are both right near the center of totality, with 3 minutes, 41 seconds of totality expected where I'm at. If the weather is good (and maybe even if it isn't), there will probably be an influx of eclipse viewers from both directions.

Here's an eclipse map for anyone interested: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

I'm sure they'll all head to Orleans County to watch the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on August 22, 2022, 08:37:26 AM
... Rochester and Buffalo are both right near the center of totality, with 3 minutes, 41 seconds of totality expected where I'm at. If the weather is good (and maybe even if it isn't), there will probably be an influx of eclipse viewers from both directions. ...

I'm sure they'll all head to Orleans County to watch the eclipse.

That would be the place to go if you want to avoid crowds.  ;-)

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CNGL-Leudimin

I'll rather wait for the 2026 August 12 solar eclipse, as its totality will pass way closer to me. In fact so close, I'm actually right outside the totality path.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 22, 2022, 09:49:20 AM
I'll rather wait for the 2026 August 12 solar eclipse, as its totality will pass way closer to me. In fact so close, I'm actually right outside the totality path.

I think we should all go visit for that.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on August 22, 2022, 06:54:27 AM
Having to join yet another private group is a buzzkill.

Any group that remains public is getting swamped with spam. Going private with groups is a sensible decision.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 22, 2022, 09:49:20 AM

It looks like Spain (or at least southern France) might be in the path of totality for the 2024 eclipse if you're high enough that you can see significantly below the horizon, but I'm not exactly sure how this works.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

oscar

Hard to tell the path of totality, with the slight difference in shades of red between the totality path and the partial eclipse path.

But it does provide info on the likelihood of cloudy weather on eclipse day. From some casual clicking, it looks like the best likely eclipse watching weather will be in Mexico, especially in the Mazatlan area (cloudy about 25% of the time on April 8). Within the U.S. you can get around 45% along the border, in Eagle Pass TX. It jumps to around 60% in Austin, and keeps getting worse as you head northeast, up to around 75% in Gander, Newfoundland.

Not like the 2017 eclipse, where serious eclipse watchers could camp out in central Oregon north of Bend for fairly reliable viewing weather.

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on August 22, 2022, 09:55:33 AM
Having to join yet another private group is a buzzkill.

Any group that remains public is getting swamped with spam. Going private with groups is a sensible decision.
I prefer it when the host just sets up a private event.  It's simpler.

I'll probably run to Texas for this one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

The idea of traveling long distance to see an eclipse that's also visible nearby gives me pause because of the off chance that there's poor weather there and clear weather at home.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on August 22, 2022, 10:51:18 AM
The idea of traveling long distance to see an eclipse that's also visible nearby gives me pause because of the off chance that there's poor weather there and clear weather at home.

That factor is one consideration that prompts me to plan to stay south of the border instead of turning it into a reason for a trip to Toronto or Montreal like I had considered at one point–I feel like I would have more flexibility to change plans on short notice if the weather forecast were problematic, whereas a change of plans that required crossing the border could prove problematic due to traffic, etc.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Jim

My initial thought is to watch from the summit of Whiteface Mountain, assuming enough snow remains for the summit chair to be open for skiing.  No idea if that's going to be practical.  In any case, I expect to be somewhere in central/northern NY.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on August 22, 2022, 10:51:18 AM
It's upstate NY.  The weather WILL be lousy.  I guarantee it.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 22, 2022, 08:13:43 AM
Having to join yet another private group Facebook is a buzzkill.

Amen.

I am actually planning to go to southern Illinois for that eclipse.  For the prior eclipse, I had planned to take my father up to my mother's grave site to view the eclipse (she had just recently passed; it's not terribly far from Memphis; etc.), but he had some health issues, and the trip was aborted.   

He's since passed, but the idea's stuck in my head and I'd like to check out his grave marker after it's installed.   So.....

This, of course, means that it'll be overcast and stormy in southern Illinois for that eclipse.

SSOWorld

It is usually cloudier in most of the US along the path in April - particularly north.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 22, 2022, 04:34:27 PM
It is usually cloudier in most of the US along the path in April - particularly north.
Oscar's post goes into detail on this.

7/8

Quote from: Rothman on August 22, 2022, 04:35:19 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on August 22, 2022, 04:34:27 PM
Oscar's post goes into detail on this.

This write up also goes into good detail on weather prospects (including this graph):

Personally I'm hoping to go to Mexico or Texas for the best chances, but we'll see what happens. If not, I can drive down to Lake Erie and cross my fingers for clear skies.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.