Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 05, 2021, 11:37:14 AM
Was the USC-Cal game last night a makeup game from an earlier in the season postponement?

I mean, it was kinda awesome to end Championship Saturday with a mostly meaningless game between two 4-7 teams in the #Pac12AfterDark window. I mean, neither team was even playing for Bowl eligibility. Late night playing for pride game (and FOX TV contract commitments), and giving the degenerate gamblers a little more fodder after getting "taken"  during the Title Game action

Yes, Cal had a COVID outbreak and had to postpone the game. In order to play it this weekend, it had to not overlap with any conference championship games, so they had to play late last night.

As for the playoff, I'm pretty sure it's going to be Alabama vs Cincinnati and Michigan vs Georgia.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ilpt4u

I'd rather see Michigan vs Cincy and Bama vs Georgia (again) in the 1st round, but I know it won't happen. The committe isn't going to put an SEC Title Game rematch in the Semifinals

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 05, 2021, 12:03:33 PM
I'd rather see Michigan vs Cincy and Bama vs Georgia (again) in the 1st round, but I know it won't happen. The committe isn't going to put an SEC Title Game rematch in the Semifinals
You were correct
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Would there be enough interest in me posting the bowl schedule and updating daily as we go through bowl season? I used to do it on a couple other forum boards but those got shut down after user logins plummeted the last couple of years.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Alps

Quote from: ET21 on December 06, 2021, 04:35:06 PM
Would there be enough interest in me posting the bowl schedule and updating daily as we go through bowl season? I used to do it on a couple other forum boards but those got shut down after user logins plummeted the last couple of years.
Make it a separate thread.

Billy F 1988

Well, time to kiss Montana adieu. They're 1-2 against James Madison University in the FCS playoffs. Man, they stink. The shitty mediocrity continues, I suppose. Coach Bobby Hauck is definitely going to the hot seat after that loss. Couldn't get scrap done after ONE touchdown. One.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Roadgeekteen

Do the bowls even mean anything anymore with all of the top prospects sitting out?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 11, 2021, 04:57:15 PM
Do the bowls even mean anything anymore with all of the top prospects sitting out?

Bragging rights to the winners.

ilpt4u

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2021, 05:11:49 PM
More like an excuse for Alumni to take a Holiday vacation somewhere

74/171FAN

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 11, 2021, 05:19:24 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2021, 05:11:49 PM
More like an excuse for Alumni to take a Holiday vacation somewhere

Unless you are Hawaii, which more often than not has been in its own bowl.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ilpt4u

The other reason "Bowls matter"  – Filler programming for the ESPN networks during the Holidays while staff at Bristol are taking their Holiday time off

NWI_Irish96

Playing in a bowl still means a lot. Winning a bowl doesn't mean as much.

Henry

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 11, 2021, 07:41:59 PM

Unless it's for the national championship, I suspect. IMO, to go undefeated all season and then lose in the title game would be meaningless; just ask the 2007 Patriots (and yes, I'm aware that I brought up an NFL team while making this argument).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Coaches value the extra weeks of practice they get when a team goes to a bowl.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on December 13, 2021, 10:58:09 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on December 11, 2021, 07:41:59 PM

Unless it's for the national championship, I suspect. IMO, to go undefeated all season and then lose in the title game would be meaningless; just ask the 2007 Patriots (and yes, I'm aware that I brought up an NFL team while making this argument).

Yeah, I was differentiating between playoff games and the rest of the bowls. Clearly the playoff holds more importance. Players on playoff teams don't skip the games to prepare for the draft. Players on teams going to bowl games do it regularly now.

Henry

As expected, we've seen a couple of bowls get cancelled due to COVID-19. If it threatens the playoffs, that would be even more devastating to the season.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Henry on December 28, 2021, 10:23:00 AM
As expected, we've seen a couple of bowls get cancelled due to COVID-19. If it threatens the playoffs, that would be even more devastating to the season.

The Holiday Bowl has been canceled because UCLA doesn't have enough COVID-free players to field a team.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

NWI_Irish96

Alabama and Georgia are both in the bottom six states in vaccination rates, so if either/both had to forfeit a semifinal game due to an outbreak it would be karma.

ilpt4u

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 28, 2021, 05:39:01 PM
Alabama and Georgia are both in the bottom six states in vaccination rates, so if either/both had to forfeit a semifinal game due to an outbreak it would be karma.
We all know ESPN, the SEC, and the CFP Committee won't let that happen

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 28, 2021, 06:16:12 PM
We all know ESPN, the SEC, and the CFP Committee won't let that happen

That possibility is covered.  Rescheduling has been factored into the schedules.  No way will the Championship games be cancelled, even if they conflict with the NFL playoffs.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Roadgeekteen

But how vaccinated are the players?

ET21

Football took a big hit yesterday. John Madden passed at age 85, and locally in Chicago, the ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson died at age 42 from colon cancer.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

Quote from: ET21 on December 29, 2021, 10:28:44 AM
Football took a big hit yesterday. John Madden passed at age 85, and locally in Chicago, the ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson died at age 42 from colon cancer.
Sad day for the football world, especially those who watched Madden break down plays to their simplest forms on TV and redefined the color analyst, and the younger generations who only know him through the video games that bear his name and are played nonstop well into the offseason. As for Dickerson, sadly I'm not all that familiar with him, even though I follow the Bears through the ESPN and NFL apps, but cancer is a terrible way to end a life, especially at a young age. However, they're now at peace as they've gone to the gridiron in the sky, along with Walter Payton, Brian Piccolo, Gale Sayers and George Halas.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ET21 on December 29, 2021, 10:28:44 AM

Even worse, Dickerson's wife died from cancer a couple years ago and now their 11 year old son has no parents left.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.