News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Changes to Flickr Photos

Started by US71, January 21, 2020, 06:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

We're writing to inform you that effective today, the price of Flickr Pro subscriptions has increased to:

1 month: $6.99, plus tax
    3 month: $18.99, plus tax
    1 year: $59.99, plus tax
    2 year: $117.99, plus tax

To thank loyal Pro members for your continued support, we are offering all current Pros the opportunity to renew now at last year's price.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

I opened up an Instagram account kind of anticipating that Flickr might go even more down the drain and added a third off-Line photo back up.  I'll probably stick with Flickr at least another year but I don't like how this is trending price wise.  Considering how much I post on Gribblenation (which is on Blogger) I've kind of found that to be a more effective way to share photos since the blog posts also contain the narrative I want. 

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 21, 2020, 06:30:43 PM
I opened up an Instagram account kind of anticipating that Flickr might go even more down the drain and added a third off-Line photo back up.  I'll probably stick with Flickr at least another year but I don't like how this is trending price wise.  Considering how much I post on Gribblenation (which is on Blogger) I've kind of found that to be a more effective way to share photos since the blog posts also contain the narrative I want. 
They offered me a break if I signed up for two more years, so I took it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

I'm still showing up as Pro, although I made sure to end my subscription rather than renew at the listed prices. I still don't know what's going to happen to my domain, so I'll be moving everything over to the Millennium Highway Facebook page. I have some older stuff already there, so it'll just be a matter of cross-checking what's been uploaded and what's not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

okroads

I have Pro through March 2021, but thought these price changes were already announced when Smug Mug took over from Yahoo.

Personally, Flickr is still less than what I pay to keep okroads.com and okhighways.com up and running. Although I haven't updated those websites in over 10 years, all my pictures from 2002-2006 are still on those sites and not on Flickr.

Max Rockatansky

I ended up getting the same discount offer and renewed for another year.

Chris

They appear to have a hard time getting Flickr in the black. Apparently they lose money on it, despite their sizable paying user base.

I always wonder how imgur makes money. Anyone can upload photos without requiring a subscription or registration.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Chris on January 25, 2020, 05:59:36 AM
They appear to have a hard time getting Flickr in the black. Apparently they lose money on it, despite their sizable paying user base.

I always wonder how imgur makes money. Anyone can upload photos without requiring a subscription or registration.
Probably selling image metadata for targeted ads... BIG Data = BIG Money! :awesomeface: :bigass:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.