Future I-57/US 67

Started by bugo, June 14, 2012, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 03, 2015, 05:18:44 PM
Maybe we should wait until after the US 67 freeway connects Interstate 40 with Interstate 55/57 before discussing giving it an Interstate designation. When/if that will happen is unknown at this time.
I concur :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

I-39

Anything new on routes north of Walnut Ridge?

The Ghostbuster

I was hoping you could tell me. Then again, I'm from Wisconsin.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 07, 2016, 07:52:56 PM
I was hoping you could tell me. Then again, I'm from Wisconsin.

I have seen no updates, unless AHTD has info?

SteveG1988

I was through there not too long ago, still the same exit at the north end serving as the end of the freeway, couldn't see any advancement
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

capt.ron

I may be out on a limb for saying which alignment that AHTD could use but I would say, why not use part of AR 34 which runs northeast out of Walnut Ridge. Do what was done years ago with I-40 / US 66 in Texas (and other states): just plant another set of lanes about 120 feet or so on one side of AR 34... it will initially be a divided highway with a very wide median. Run that up to just south of O'kean and veer north to the existing US 67 alignment and once again have the wide median divided highway on existing 67 until reaching the towns (towns bypassed by the new 4 lane). And when traffic warrants, put down another set of lanes closer to the new ones and make it controlled access... and the old road becomes a frontage road (just like what Texas did with the US 66 alignment on I-40 east of Amarillo).

codyg1985

That would be the most direct thing to do, but the folks in Pocahontas don't want the new road (whether it is a freeway or an expressway) to completely bypass them.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

I-39

Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 07, 2016, 09:39:31 PM
I was through there not too long ago, still the same exit at the north end serving as the end of the freeway, couldn't see any advancement

I meant for planning on an alignment north of Walnut Ridge to the state line, and what type of road it will be.

US71

Quote from: I-39 on January 15, 2016, 02:10:50 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 07, 2016, 09:39:31 PM

I meant for planning on an alignment north of Walnut Ridge to the state line, and what type of road it will be.

I'm not sure that decision has been made yet

Grzrd

Quote from: Road Hog on July 29, 2015, 08:42:59 PM
Quote from: KamKam on July 28, 2015, 04:25:42 PM
The 2015-2016 Map shows HWY 226 between U.S. 67 and 49 be completed as a divided highway
They did jump the gun, but the map does include 2016, by when 226 will be complete.

This article reports that the remaining work on AR 226 should be completed by mid-July:

... Arkansas 226, the main highway that links Jonesboro with Little Rock and other parts of eastern Arkansas. The curvy road has two lanes in many spots that slow drivers, and it can be treacherous.
That will change this summer.
The Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department has spent at least $83 million to expand the highway. The road was divided into seven separate expansion projects and four of them are completed, AHTD District 10 Engineer Walter McMillan told Arkansas Business.
"We should have those last three sections done by mid-July," McMillan said. "Once the whole project is complete, it should reduce the drive time from Jonesboro to Little Rock by 20 to 30 minutes."

After it's done, Arkansas 226 will have four lanes from the U.S. 49 turnoff in Jonesboro to U.S. 67 in Jackson County. Work on the project began in spring 2010.

Quote from: Grzrd on August 28, 2015, 03:07:19 PM
This August 27 article reports that the AR 226 to Walnut Ridge section should be open to traffic in spring or summer 2016

The above article reporting on AR 226 also reports that the new terrain section of US 67 from AR 226 to Walnut Ridge should be finished "by this fall":

Another major highway project linking northeast Arkansas to Little Rock should also be completed this year. McMillan said workers should finish a 16-mile stretch of the new U.S. 67 from rural Jackson County to U.S. 63 by this fall.
For many years the former U.S. 67 has been part of a major transportation route linking St. Louis to other parts of the South, including Little Rock. But large trucks often bog down as they meander through small towns with speed limits. And from Walnut Ridge to Newport, the route has only two lanes.
"When we get 67 finished it should significantly help with those drive times," McMillan said.

The Ghostbuster

Can someone remove the Future I-30 from the subject heading? There is no guarantee that the corridor will become Interstate 30, or even become an Interstate at all.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 23, 2016, 03:00:46 PM
Can someone remove the Future I-30 from the subject heading? There is no guarantee that the corridor will become Interstate 30, or even become an Interstate at all.

This thread has been fine with that heading for years

Buck87

Can someone remove the Future I-30 from the subject heading?

Or maybe change it to "Future I-57"

:)

Road Hog

Quote from: Buck87 on January 23, 2016, 09:48:57 PM
Can someone remove the Future I-30 from the subject heading?

Or maybe change it to "Future I-57"

:)

LIKE!

No offense intended to St. Louis, but a more direct route between Chicago and Dallas is much more of a benefit to the nation's economy than some little-used pork project so a governor can go watch the Cardinals play.

noelbotevera

Why not this subject?

...I'll show myself the door.

Wayward Memphian

If Arkansas keeps it 4 lane divided to the standards they have used so far to the Missouri Line, It'll be an interstate, at least the 3 n umber kind inside the state, numbering is the conjecture. It will be up to Missouri to make it for sure a two digit one. This is I-540 part deux.

Revive 755

Quote from: Road Hog on January 23, 2016, 09:57:02 PM
No offense intended to St. Louis, but a more direct route between Chicago and Dallas is much more of a benefit to the nation's economy than some little-used pork project so a governor can go watch the Cardinals play.

Using existing mileage, per Google:

* Chicago to Dallas via I-57, US 60, US 67, I-30:  964 miles
* Chicago to Dallas via I-55, US 67, I-30:  958 miles (961 if I-255 is used around St. Louis)
* Chicago to Dallas via I-55, I-44, US 69, and US 75:  927 miles

US71

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on January 24, 2016, 01:22:47 PM
If Arkansas keeps it 4 lane divided to the standards they have used so far to the Missouri Line, It'll be an interstate, at least the 3 n umber kind inside the state, numbering is the conjecture. It will be up to Missouri to make it for sure a two digit one. This is I-540 part deux.

I'd support 140, 340, or 740, but not another 540

codyg1985

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 24, 2016, 08:55:16 PM

* Chicago to Dallas via I-55, US 67, I-30:  958 miles (961 if I-255 is used around St. Louis)

Also,
* Chicago to Dallas via I-57, I-55, I-40, and I-30: 969 miles
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 24, 2016, 08:55:16 PM

The thing about all of these is that you have choices in the event of major construction, localized traffic volumes and weather events while keeping a predictable timetable.

I'd also point out that you could add the  I-55, I-44, I-49/US 71 and I-30 on that list. My major complaints with US 69 is the lack of getting around towns like McAlister.

Greybear

Don't ya think you should worry about towns like Muskogee as well as other small towns along US 69 that have reduced speed limits?

Bobby5280

Quote from: Revive 755Chicago to Dallas via I-55, I-44, US 69, and US 75:  927 miles

Yep. That's the shortest route. It also explains the ridiculous amount of truck traffic along US-69 between Big Cabin, OK down to Durant, OK. That really should be an extension of Interstate 45.

About 1/3 of the route is already limited access (from the N. side of McAlester to the S. side of Muskogee). The rest is 4 lane divided with at-grade intersections. US-69 could be upgraded in McAlester without too many problems since it is already flanked by frontage roads. Muskogee would need a new Interstate quality bypass on its West side.

It's fun to imagine the possibilities. But the sad reality is Oklahoma's road funding mechanism is broke and has no signs of being fixed under the current political environment. They'll watch the oil bust continue, taking state revenue streams right down the toilet but refuse to consider any alternatives. Just keep selling more tax cuts and funding cuts to the voters. If this keeps up they'll have to start furloughing prisoners and closing down public schools outright.

Road Hog

I can fill volumes on US 69 in Oklahoma, but that's on another thread.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 22, 2016, 10:34:35 PM
This article .... reports that the new terrain section of US 67 from AR 226 to Walnut Ridge should be finished "by this fall"

This February 3, 2016 article reports that the expected opening date is now "by the end of August or first part of September":

Work continues on the completion of the four lanes of U.S. Hwy. 67, from Hwy. 226 (between Swifton and Cash) to the Hwy. 63 interchange at Hoxie. This segment of the highway is expected to open around Labor Day.
Once this 16-mile span of highway is opened, travelers on U.S. Hwy. 67 will have a four-lane highway from Hoxie to Little Rock.
District 10 Engineer Walter McMillan of the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department shared the latest updates on the project with The TD.
The completion date and opening of this stretch of highway has changed several times due to various factors, McMillan said. At this time, he expects the new four-lane highway will be open by the end of August or first part of September.
Paving is complete on the main lanes of the new highway
, he said.
Work is now being done on the two ramps at the Hwy. 230 interchange, near Alicia. Workers are in the process of trimming the subgrade of soil and placing a cement-treated base on the ramps.
The two ramps that will connect Hwy. 67 to Hwy. 63 still have to be built, McMillan added.
Workers are also in the process of hauling base rock for the shoulders of the new stretch of highway, from Hwy. 230 (near Alicia) to Hwy. 63, which is a 10-mile stretch. Some 30,000 tons of base rock are needed to complete this job, and when the base rock is in place, the shoulders will be covered in asphalt.

Lastly, the new segment of highway will need to be striped, and then it will be ready for traffic.

The Ghostbuster

And how long before they decide what to do from there northward?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.