News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Winter weather thread

Started by TravelingBethelite, January 20, 2016, 11:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

So how 'bout that upcoming storm? Heard DC/Baltimore could get hit pretty hard. Everywhere along the coast form Portsmouth, NH to Raleigh and points south will even feel impacts! BOS-PVD-HFD-NYC will still get up to 18", while Philly could get 24" and DC, 36" is not out of the question! Oh, boy!   :)

Here's a model forecast for about 3 pm Saturday:

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

jeffandnicole

I still have milk and eggs left over from last year's hyped up storms!

This one does seem interesting though!

Brandon

Pardon me while I politely yawn.  I went to college in a place that sees 220 inches per year on average.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 20, 2016, 11:51:31 AM

I better not see a state of emergency until they are damn sure we're going to get socked. Last year was such a joke.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on January 20, 2016, 01:06:07 PM

I better not see a state of emergency until they are damn sure we're going to get socked. Last year was such a joke.

STAY OFF THE (dry) ROADS!

For what it's worth, I don't think police departments really care if you're on the roads and they are clear and/or passable.  And I have never heard of a police department actually stopping anyone, nor have I seen it while plowing. 

But...get into an accident or otherwise cause an issue out there, and you're probably going to be cited for it.

slorydn1

Yeah I'm sure we'll see 2 or 3 flurries here which will put school on a 2 hour delay (if not cancelled outright), LOL. My kid missed more days of school due to snow in late January early February of 2014 than I did my entire "career" from K-12 living in Michigan and Illinois.

Right now our biggest problem is the temperature more than anything else. After living down south for 25 years my body just doesn't handle wind chills in the single digits and teens like it used to. To think, back in the day I would have gone outside to get the paper and check the mailbox without even putting a coat on in -20 degree weather and now I won't even open the door to look outside without a coat hat and gloves in +20 degree weather, LOL.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

noelbotevera

I've lived up here for 9 years, and almost 10 now, I just accept the weather like it's nothing. It still does effects on me...

triplemultiplex

I hope Detective John McClain is on duty.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Bruce

DC is a special kind of mess right now:

And Metro is only running to a select few underground stations:

Thing 342

This line of thinking with regards to weather forecasts (and probabilistic forecasts in general) greatly irritates me.  People (specifically the media) fail to realize that there's quite a bit of uncertainty built into weather forecasting, and with these big storms the 'bust' case will often have as much as a 30% chance of occurring, which is why forecasting agencies generally issue forecasts with confidence intervals. Of course nobody actually looks at these intervals, and when the 'bust' case occurs, people blame the forecasters, despite the fact that they themselves admitted uncertainty.

Currently, Blacksburg's forecast to get anywhere from 8" to 2', and I'll trudge across the Drillfield on Friday and Saturday regardless.

freebrickproductions

Huntsville could be getting snow on Friday.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman

Quote from: Bruce on January 20, 2016, 10:57:33 PM

And Metro is only running to a select few underground stations:

And they only have two inches so far.  Terrorists don't need to bomb DC to paralyze it, they just need to seed the clouds when it's below freezing.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 20, 2016, 11:11:05 PM

This line of thinking with regards to weather forecasts (and probabilistic forecasts in general) greatly irritates me.  People (specifically the media) fail to realize that there's quite a bit of uncertainty built into weather forecasting, and with these big storms the 'bust' case will often have as much as a 30% chance of occurring, which is why forecasting agencies generally issue forecasts with confidence intervals. Of course nobody actually looks at these intervals, and when the 'bust' case occurs, people blame the forecasters, despite the fact that they themselves admitted uncertainty.

Currently, Blacksburg's forecast to get anywhere from 8" to 2', and I'll trudge across the Drillfield on Friday and Saturday regardless.
When it comes to weather forecasting, between the MSM and NOAA,  I'll take NOAA anytime.  The fact I'm in an area where I can reliably receive NOAA broadcasts from four different regions helps as well.

Right now, it looks like the upper edge of the storm will mostly miss Boston - they're predicting 3 to 6 inches in the immediate Boston area, with slightly higher on the South Shore.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Wow...a transit system that can't run trains when an inch of snow falls.

kj3400

It wasn't even an inch up here, we got a light dusting, and I know DC couldn't have gotten much more than we did.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 21, 2016, 10:28:39 AM
As opposed to the MBTA (Boston), which has trouble running trains even when there's no snow or rain.  Their solution, a glossy PR campaign to remind riders that "Winter Happens" - and goes on to encourage them to check the web site and service alerts for cancellations during storms.

SidS1045

Quote from: Bruce on January 20, 2016, 10:57:33 PM

There's a snappy line in there somewhere, but this isn't a political thread...

(ducking and covering)
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

wolfiefrick

Yesterday, the town where I live canceled school because there was one inch of snow on the ground. The roads weren't in good shape either; it snowed all night. I can guess that there will be one day that a giant winter storm hits us in March like it always does (we live in St. Louis where Mother Nature hates our guts; I guess we pissed her off somehow) and they'll make us go to school.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on January 21, 2016, 10:33:01 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 21, 2016, 10:28:39 AM
As opposed to the MBTA (Boston), which has trouble running trains even when there's no snow or rain.  Their solution, a glossy PR campaign to remind riders that "Winter Happens" - and goes on to encourage them to check the web site and service alerts for cancellations during storms.

I'll respect storms as a reason for service issues...except when they tell people to use mass transit instead of driving.

But 1" of snow isn't a storm!  It's not even enough to cover the tracks!!!

noelbotevera

Why don't more cities use underground tracks, rather than elevated tracks, to remove the need of having to close down stations? At the very least, build canopies...NYC's subway still operates after a couple inches of snow.

SidS1045

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on January 20, 2016, 11:26:13 AM
BOS-PVD-HFD-NYC will still get up to 18"

Not anymore.  Forecast as of noon ET Thursday:  From Boston southwest though Worcester and Springfield, and just north of Hartford, 1-3", southeastern MA including Hartford, Providence, Cape Cod and the islands, 3-6", northwestern MA, southern NH and southern VT, a dusting to 1".  Northern NH, northern VT and ME, nothing.  Apparently most of New England is escaping the worst of this one.  The far southern coast of RI, CT and down into NY, 6-12+"

Brandon

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 21, 2016, 03:32:06 PM
Why don't more cities use underground tracks, rather than elevated tracks, to remove the need of having to close down stations? At the very least, build canopies...NYC's subway still operates after a couple inches of snow.

Chicago's L runs fairly well in the snow.  As does Metra, with the exception of hitting a car on the tracks on the Southwest Service yesterday morning.

WTF got into people here yesterday morning anyway!?!  A half fucking inch of snow and you'd swear you were transported to Atlanta if you drove I-55 or I-355 Wednesday morning.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 21, 2016, 03:32:06 PM

Expensive.  And that's an understatement. 

In Washington DC, 12 Miles of the Silver line cost $2.9 Billion to build. And that's above ground.  The next phase will extend it to Dulles Airport.  Changing a single station from an underground to an above ground, and related work, is saving nearly $1 billion of what was a nearly $4 Billion project.

1995hoo

The statement about the Metro not running was inaccurate. The trains kept running last night. The map above shows where it won't run once eight inches of snow have fallen.

Now, the bus system was a mess last night.

Edited to add: The new GM just announced the subway will close at 11:00 Friday night and won't reopen until Monday at the earliest. Two concerns–storing trains in tunnels and risk of power outages.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SidS1045

And...the forecast for New England has changed again.

From Boston southwest though Worcester and Springfield, and just north of Hartford, 0-2".  Southeastern MA including Hartford, Providence, Cape Cod and the islands, 1-4".  The southern coast of RI, CT and down into NY, 3-6+".  Northwestern MA and all of ME, NH and VT, nothing.

As we in New England tend to say:  If you don't like the weather, wait a minute.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.