Lake Michigan Carferry (SS Badger) as part of US 10

Started by oscar, September 10, 2018, 09:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzcarp

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 13, 2021, 03:01:32 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 13, 2021, 02:54:27 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 13, 2021, 01:43:01 PM
Total cost was $300.50 for 2 adults and 2 kids.

For the game tickets, the lodging, or the ferry? Or for all three?

That cost was for the ferry, car +2 adults +2 kids.

That seems very expensive (though possibly that would be mitigated by the couple tanks of gas you could save). Was the ferry busy at that price point?
So many miles and so many roads

Flint1979

So our family is going to Milwaukee on the 24th to see the White Sox play the Brewers. I've always wanted to do the ferry and thought this would be a good time to do it. Instead of driving back home on the 25th, we'll go up the coast to Manitowoc and ferry across to Ludington. Hotel for the night of the 25th is in Muskegon, as I'm a Marriott platinum member and there are no Marriott properties in Ludington. Total cost was $300.50 for 2 adults and 2 kids.

The family also may indulge me in a bit of highway clinching in IL, WI, and MI as part of the trip.
That seems about right. Anytime I've priced the Lake Express to Milwaukee the prices were always a bit steep I thought anyway. The price for putting your car on there is about the same price as an adult ticket I think off the top of my head it's around $75. Just remember the departure in Manitowoc is 2pm central time.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: zzcarp on July 13, 2021, 04:30:58 PM

That seems very expensive (though possibly that would be mitigated by the couple tanks of gas you could save). Was the ferry busy at that price point?

We're not saving gas or time. It's just something fun to do.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 13, 2021, 04:56:22 PM

It does save you about four hours of driving. I've done the Lake Michigan Circle Tour before and that was fun but that involved driving too. As far as gas at least I know in my car that would be around a tank of gas to get from Manitowoc to Ludington so you are saving somewhat.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2021, 04:59:54 PM
It does save you about four hours of driving. I've done the Lake Michigan Circle Tour before and that was fun but that involved driving too. As far as gas at least I know in my car that would be around a tank of gas to get from Manitowoc to Ludington so you are saving somewhat.

Saving hours of driving isn't the same thing as "saving time".  Unless you were already planning to leave at exactly right time of day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on July 13, 2021, 05:03:36 PM

Saving hours of driving isn't the same thing as "saving time".  Unless you were already planning to leave at exactly right time of day.
Yeah just be there a little before 2pm central time or 9am eastern time in Ludington for the Michigan to Wisconsin trip.

NWI_Irish96

We weren't already going to be in Manitowoc, we're driving there from Milwuakee specifically to take the ferry. It's essentially adding an extra day to our trip.

hbelkins

Unless I get the family discount (my cousin, retired from the Coast Guard, is the captain of the Badger) then that's too rich for my blood.

I can't remember how much I paid to use the Cape May-Lewes Ferry 11 years ago, but it was certainly nowhere near that amount.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 13, 2021, 08:00:54 PM

We weren't already going to be in Manitowoc, we're driving there from Milwuakee specifically to take the ferry. It's essentially adding an extra day to our trip.
Is it this ferry you want to take? I'm only asking that because if you want to take a ferry across Lake Michigan from Milwaukee the Lake Express runs to Muskegon and gets across the lake in half the time that the SS Badger does. I'm just assuming though that you want to take the SS Badger.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2021, 10:02:15 PM

Is it this ferry you want to take? I'm only asking that because if you want to take a ferry across Lake Michigan from Milwaukee the Lake Express runs to Muskegon and gets across the lake in half the time that the SS Badger does. I'm just assuming though that you want to take the SS Badger.

Yes, the SS Badger specifically due to its connection with US 10.

JoePCool14

So our family is going to Milwaukee on the 24th to see the White Sox play the Brewers. I've always wanted to do the ferry and thought this would be a good time to do it. Instead of driving back home on the 25th, we'll go up the coast to Manitowoc and ferry across to Ludington. Hotel for the night of the 25th is in Muskegon, as I'm a Marriott platinum member and there are no Marriott properties in Ludington. Total cost was $300.50 for 2 adults and 2 kids.

The family also may indulge me in a bit of highway clinching in IL, WI, and MI as part of the trip.

I was going to go up to Milwaukee for a game in that series too, but I'm heading out to the other corner of the state to move some things in for university.

I hope they're back to serving food on the Badger. That's part of the charm!

Also make sure you snap a photo of the East US-10 shield on the Wisconsin side next to the loading dock.  :)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 14, 2021, 07:20:48 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2021, 10:02:15 PM

Yes, the SS Badger specifically due to its connection with US 10.
If you are into clinching US-10 on the Michigan side it's 140 miles from Ludington to Bay City. Not sure if that was on your radar or not though. It's a freeway for almost half that distance too.

NWI_Irish96

Here's my report from our trip across Lake Michigan:

The check-in/boarding process is very easy and well-organized. Cars line up on the approach road, and workers go up the line checking in the vehicles in line. At about 75 minutes before departure, cars were directed to specific spots, where you leave the vehicle with the keys in the car and one window down just in case the car accidentally locks.

We then proceeded to the person check-in line, which moved quickly. The boarding of the boat is about two flights of stairs. There is a chair lift for those who can't do the stairs. (I needed this as I'm suffering some mobility issues right now)

The main deck of the boat has a large common room, where the food/drink service is and where bingo was played. The food was essentially concession stand food (hot dogs, pizza, nachos, pretzels, small salads, fruit cups) There are two smaller TV lounges and a movie lounge. There is a game room, museum room, and toddler room. The space at the rear of the deck is open on the sides with the upper deck above. The main deck also has private cabins that cost extra which we did not get.

I didn't go up to the upper deck, but my kids report that it is just a large, open-air seating area.

Unfortunately for us, this was one of the hottest days of the year, and the boat is understandably not air conditioned as this is one of very few days where it would have been necessary. The large common room and the two TV lounges had fans, and as you might expect, seating in those rooms was hard to come by.

For me, the coolest part of the trip was the middle third, where you are far enough from either coast that you can't see land in any direction. I can't think of anywhere else in the US where you can experience this.

The trip is 4 hours from shore to shore, and with the time spent boarding, disembarking and waiting on your car, it's about a 6 hour commitment.

Is it faster than driving? Yes, by 30-90 minutes depending on Chicago traffic. Is it cheaper? No. Is it less stressful? Yes.

Not something I'd do on a regular basis but it was fun to do once.

vdeane

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 26, 2021, 08:34:20 PM
The check-in/boarding process is very easy and well-organized. Cars line up on the approach road, and workers go up the line checking in the vehicles in line. At about 75 minutes before departure, cars were directed to specific spots, where you leave the vehicle with the keys in the car and one window down just in case the car accidentally locks.
That feels sketchy to me.  What if it rains, a bug gets in the car, someone goes by the car and wants to steal something, a thief drives off with the car, etc.?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flint1979

Quote from: vdeane on July 26, 2021, 09:01:23 PM
That feels sketchy to me.  What if it rains, a bug gets in the car, someone goes by the car and wants to steal something, a thief drives off with the car, etc.?
You aren't allowed to go to your car during the trip or when your car is parked so the possibility of someone stealing something would be an employee or someone that somehow snuck into the area where they aren't suppose to be. I believe it is in a covered area as well.

NWI_Irish96

The cars are all lined up on a grid. only the cars in the front and back rows could possibly be driven anywhere, and there are plenty of employees all over the lot.

Maybe they don't require the windows down in the rain, I don't know.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2021, 09:04:08 PM
You aren't allowed to go to your car during the trip or when your car is parked so the possibility of someone stealing something would be an employee or someone that somehow snuck into the area where they aren't suppose to be. I believe it is in a covered area as well.

I guess I didn't clarify. You park in the lot right in front of the boat. The boat employees drive your car on and park it. They put the windows up and lock the car once it's on the boat.

vdeane

What about when people are leaving/getting their cars?  How is anyone to tell the difference between someone getting something at the last minute before vehicles are loaded and someone stealing something?  You can't.  In any case, I don't like valet parking either; I'd much rather just drive the vehicle on and lock up myself.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: vdeane on July 26, 2021, 09:13:27 PM
What about when people are leaving/getting their cars?  How is anyone to tell the difference between someone getting something at the last minute before vehicles are loaded and someone stealing something?  You can't.  In any case, I don't like valet parking either; I'd much rather just drive the vehicle on and lock up myself.

The people are off the boat and waiting before the cars come off, so you're sitting right there if someone were to try to get the wrong car.

There's no way they're ever letting people drive their own cars onto the boat, so this probably isn't for you.

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 26, 2021, 09:07:46 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2021, 09:04:08 PM

I guess I didn't clarify. You park in the lot right in front of the boat. The boat employees drive your car on and park it. They put the windows up and lock the car once it's on the boat.
I believe you did say that and that is how it's done I've watched them do it in Ludington lots of times.

Flint1979

Everyone is off the boat when they drive the cars off so you are going to be right there to get into your car and continue your journey along US-10. You aren't allowed to go back to your car to get anything and they drive the cars onto the boat I don't see any point where they would allow anyone to drive their own vehicle onto the boat.

This ferry is mostly a tourist thing anyway, for faster service across Lake Michigan most people use the Lake Express between Muskegon and Milwaukee.

SEWIGuy

Yeah I'm sure the SS Badger has never thought of these possibilities before.  :crazy: :crazy:

vdeane

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2021, 09:23:52 PM
Everyone is off the boat when they drive the cars off so you are going to be right there to get into your car and continue your journey along US-10. You aren't allowed to go back to your car to get anything and they drive the cars onto the boat I don't see any point where they would allow anyone to drive their own vehicle onto the boat.

This ferry is mostly a tourist thing anyway, for faster service across Lake Michigan most people use the Lake Express between Muskegon and Milwaukee.
And when they drive the cars on?  Unless the guy just drives your car when you get out (in which case, no need to leave the keys in with the windows down), there is a time between when you leave the car and when the car is driven onto the boat.

kphoger

Already answered by this observation:

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 26, 2021, 09:05:45 PM
... and there are plenty of employees all over the lot.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 03:57:08 PM
Already answered by this observation:

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 26, 2021, 09:05:45 PM
... and there are plenty of employees all over the lot.
How would they know who owns which car?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.