News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan considering tolling I-94, I-96, I-75 and/or US-127

Started by ChimpOnTheWheel, July 14, 2020, 02:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChimpOnTheWheel

Just a casual.

vdeane

Ugh.  We need fewer toll roads, not more.

Hope they at least join E-ZPass if they do end up tolling things.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flint1979

Wonderful I'll figure out how to shunpike whichever highway they choose. Btw, interstates aren't suppose to be toll roads, the ones that currently are were grandfathered in, these highways can't be grandfathered in now.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 14, 2020, 03:19:30 PM
Btw, interstates aren't suppose to be toll roads, the ones that currently are were grandfathered in,

Is that true of I-355 in Illinois?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2020, 03:25:13 PM
Btw, interstates aren't suppose to be toll roads, the ones that currently are were grandfathered in,

And Future Interstate 490 in Illinois, that is under construction and will open as an ISTHA Toll Road in a few years?

TheHighwayMan3561

The problem is they have to create an airtight restriction so they don't have crap like PTC tolls going to SEPTA and other Philly-area non-road stuff.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 14, 2020, 03:27:13 PM
The problem is they have to create an airtight restriction so they don't have crap like PTC tolls going to SEPTA and other Philly-area non-road stuff.
I have never researched where the revenue from the Minnesota HOT Lanes goes...does MNDOT have any restrictions on where that revenue goes?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 14, 2020, 03:30:58 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 14, 2020, 03:27:13 PM
I have never researched where the revenue from the Minnesota HOT Lanes goes...does MNDOT have any restrictions on where that revenue goes?

State law restricts it to usage on the specific corridor it was collected; so for example, money collected on I-35W must be used on I-35W; it can't be used on the MnPass sections of 394 or 35E. But the difference is MnPass's mission is to ease congestion, not generate revenue.

MrManlet

This is not going to fly. If I-94 gets tolled, everybody is just going to shunpike US-12.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MrManlet on July 14, 2020, 04:10:06 PM
This is not going to fly. If I-94 gets tolled, everybody is just going to shunpike US-12.

I-90 in Massachusetts has US 20 paralleling it. I-87 in New York has US 9W. I-95 in Maine has US 1 for part of the route. People will still take the toll road.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

TheHighwayMan3561

It's more than an hour difference between New Buffalo and Detroit between the two routes, though US 12 is slightly shorter in mileage.

Max Rockatansky

If there is concerns about deterring tourism why not just toll commercial traffic? 

Truvelo

If a parallel US highway is to be a viable shunpike it needs to be divided with grade separated junctions. If it's a two lane road passing through every town and city then the extra time and gas used just isn't worth it.

On one of my early visits to Chicago I tried using US 45 to avoid I-294 from O'Hare. I soon got sick and tired of stop/starting at traffic lights every half mile that I took the quickest route to 294 and reluctantly paid the tolls.

In the case of Michigan none of the routes being considered has a decent shunpike.
Speed limits limit life

SEWIGuy

I know this is dependent on who you ask and how much flexibility you have travel-wise, but it would have to be upwards of $20 in tolls for me to take US-12 instead of I-94.  Maybe more.

Now if I had a nice afternoon with plenty of time to kill, I would do otherwise, but I think as long as the tolls are reasonably priced people would take them in a second.

ChimpOnTheWheel

I like how everyone's only bringing up I-94, makes me amused :D

I was surprised initially to see US-127 on the list of highways that they were considering tolling. Aren't federal highways supposed to not be tolled, unless they're concurrent with an interstate that's tolled? (E.g. I-90/US-51 through Rockford)

In any case, I hope that if they decide to toll these roads, the tolls are not so expensive. If the tolls are outrageous (and I'm talking more expensive than using I-90 from Lake Station to Toledo), then when I go to Ann Arbor to visit my family, I'll probably use I-90 to I-475/US-23 to get there.
Just a casual.

ilpt4u

Quote from: ChimpOnTheWheel on July 14, 2020, 05:31:39 PM

I was surprised initially to see US-127 on the list of highways that they were considering tolling. Aren't federal highways supposed to not be tolled, unless they're concurrent with an interstate that's tolled? (E.g. I-90/US-51 through Rockford)

In any case, I hope that if they decide to toll these roads, the tolls are not so expensive. If the tolls are outrageous (and I'm talking more expensive than using I-90 from Lake Station to Toledo), then when I go to Ann Arbor to visit my family, I'll probably use I-90 to I-475/US-23 to get there.
Isn't there a Toll US 301 in Delaware now, also? And that does not include an interstate multiplex

Stephane Dumas

Shh, be quiet! Someone on MI DOT might read the forum and get the idea to toll I-475/US-23 as well. ;)

SectorZ

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 14, 2020, 06:31:34 PM

Isn't there a Toll US 301 in Delaware now, also? And that does not include an interstate multiplex

It's supposed to be no toll highways on US routes, but for some reason that was done and with no explanation to be found why it was allowed.

silverback1065

Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2020, 02:24:07 PM

I would say you're right, but funding is a mess at the moment in many states. in indiana tolling 65 and 70 is inevitable. it's being studied now.

Jericho That

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 14, 2020, 03:27:04 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2020, 03:25:13 PM

And Future Interstate 490 in Illinois, that is under construction and will open as an ISTHA Toll Road in a few years?

There's no federal money being spent on I-490, nor was there any on I-355. If the road is up to interstate standards, the feds will consider integrating it into the interstate system.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 14, 2020, 08:43:24 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2020, 02:24:07 PM

I would say you're right, but funding is a mess at the moment in many states. in indiana tolling 65 and 70 is inevitable. it's being studied now.

I propose a unique tolling model for I-65 and I-70. Two axle vehicles are 3 cents per mile at all times. Vehicles with more than two axles are 3 cents per mile from 6:30 pm to 6:30 am and 30 cents per mile from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ftballfan

If at least some of the tolls go to upgrading deficient roads *cough*US-23*cough*, I'd be in, especially if it's E-ZPass compatible

Henry

I'm somewhat surprised that I-69 did not make the cut. This is a state that could use some badly-needed transportation money, given the poor quality of many roads in general.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sprjus4

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 14, 2020, 06:31:34 PM

A portion of US-17 was recently tolled in Chesapeake, VA to fund the construction of the new Veterans Bridge over the Elizabeth River.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on July 15, 2020, 10:38:56 AM
If at least some of the tolls go to upgrading deficient roads *cough*US-23*cough*, I'd be in, especially if it's E-ZPass compatible
And I-94 between Ann Arbor and Benton Harbor.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.