News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US Highway 30

Started by doglover44, April 07, 2021, 11:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doglover44

Just been doing some research and reading on US 30 and didn't know it was so long ! only been on it once a while back on a trip to Wapakoneta OH to Fort Wayne IN.

hotdogPi

2-digit routes ending in 0 are meant to be the major east-west routes, so all of them are either very long (such as 30) or used to be (such as 10).

Unlike the Interstate system (which uses 5), the major two-digit north-south US routes end in 1, although there are a decent number of routes that travel the entire length of the US from Canada to Mexico or the Gulf Coast and end in a different digit.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

thspfc

I've been on US-30 in Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming.

SkyPesos

Quote from: doglover44 on April 07, 2021, 11:53:00 AM
Just been doing some research and reading on US 30 and didn't know it was so long ! only been on it once a while back on a trip to Wapakoneta OH to Fort Wayne IN.
It's the 3rd longest US route in the country. Not sure how much I've been on it, probably just some one-off sections in the Midwest and of course Breezewood.

As said above, the x0 are generally the cross country US routes, at least historically before the interstates. There are some exceptions to this rule, like 10 ends at Detroit for its eastern terminus, and 90 ends just east of El Paso for its western terminus. 60 was originally planned as another one of the non transcon x0 US routes, with a Los Angeles-Chicago routing before it got a new routing and the LA-Chicago was numbered as 66. On the flipside, US 6 isn't an x0, but is a transcon route, after several extensions westward from it's first western terminus at Erie, PA.

For N-S routes, x1 routes are supposedly the major ones, but I don't buy into that. For example, US 19, 23, 25 and 27 are longer and seem more important than US 21 to me. Specifically US 25, where I-75 (an x5 interstate) was chosen to parallel it north of Knoxville in the interstates era. Same with 99 over 101 on the west coast, with I-5 replacing most of US 99. I explained a lot of this in another thread already.

abqtraveler

Quote from: 1 on April 07, 2021, 12:05:06 PM

Unlike the Interstate system (which uses 5), the major two-digit north-south US routes end in 1, although there are a decent number of routes that travel the entire length of the US from Canada to Mexico or the Gulf Coast and end in a different digit.

Save for US-21 and US-91, most of which were eliminated when I-7 and I-15, respectively, were completed. They are shadows of their former selves.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

I-55

Quote from: abqtraveler on April 08, 2021, 11:52:45 AM

Save for US-21 and US-91, most of which were eliminated when I-77 and I-15, respectively, were completed. They are shadows of their former selves.

FTFY

Not to mention the truncation of several x0 routes due to interstate expansion out west.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

abqtraveler

Quote from: I-55 on April 08, 2021, 12:15:16 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on April 08, 2021, 11:52:45 AM

Save for US-21 and US-91, most of which were eliminated when I-77 and I-15, respectively, were completed. They are shadows of their former selves.

FTFY

Not to mention the truncation of several x0 routes due to interstate expansion out west.

Yep, US Routes 10, 40, 60, 70, and 80 used to be a lot longer. US-50 also got a little bit shorter with its elimination west of Sacramento.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

SkyPesos

US 30 seems like the exception here, as it haven't been truncated to a point east of its lengthy interstate concurrencies with I-84 and I-86 ye, probably to McCammon, ID. US 20 is mostly independent in Oregon and Idaho, so I can still see it existing to the west coast.

List of E-W US routes that entered one of the west coast states (CA, OR, WA), with former routes in strikethrough. Not including routes like 28 and 48 that got decommissioned before the interstates era:
2, 6, 10, 12, 20, 26, 30, 40, 50, 60, 66, 70, 80
So 4/7 of the existing ones aren't x0's.

NWI_Irish96

I grew up less than 10 miles from US 30
I've been on the entirety of US 30 from Clinton, IA, to Canton, OH (not all in one trip).
Have been on the infamous Breezewood segment.
Have been on some of the mileage concurrent with I-80 in Wyoming
Have been on the segment west of I-5 to the western end
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

I know we have talked about the upgrades across the 4 states.There is an entire thread on Ohio. Also may have been for Indiana.
Currently for both Illinois and Iowa it looks like some passing lanes ...maybe. It's been in Iowa notes and various Illinois threads.
Illinois has remembered it many times . There was even toll 30 on the East West.
I'm my 1934 map it follows the current route to Sterling area the followed IL 38 to the Aurora area then it went close to current to Indiana

I am still fascinated by the shorter Tollway spur on page 5 of Illinois Notes.

texaskdog

so if we had to pick the 10 most "major" EW & NS US routes what would you go with?  11 if you count 101.

skluth

Quote from: texaskdog on April 08, 2021, 02:39:08 PM
so if we had to pick the 10 most "major" EW & NS US routes what would you go with?  11 if you count 101.

This is a general highway question and should be asked there.

The Ghostbuster

I find it interesting that US 30 always bypassed the Chicago area, rather than go through it like the other mainline US Highways did (save US 6 & 45). That being said, out west, I could have easily seen US 30 being truncated to a western terminus somewhere in Nebraska, since it parallels Interstate 80 (and later Interstate 84) from Grand Island, Nebraska to Portland Oregon. Like US 90, US 30 was spared the fate of other long US Highways being greatly reduced in length or decommissioned entirely by the Interstate System.

texaskdog

Quote from: skluth on April 08, 2021, 04:37:46 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on April 08, 2021, 02:39:08 PM

This is a general highway question and should be asked there.

Actually it's probably fictional

thenetwork

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 08, 2021, 12:33:05 PM
US 30 seems like the exception here, as it haven't been truncated to a point east of its lengthy interstate concurrencies with I-84 and I-86 ye, probably to McCammon, ID. US 20 is mostly independent in Oregon and Idaho, so I can still see it existing to the west coast.

US-30 through Wyoming via I-80 says "Hi"

Flint1979

I've been on US-30 in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.

SkyPesos

Quote from: thenetwork on April 08, 2021, 07:50:41 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 08, 2021, 12:33:05 PM

US-30 through Wyoming via I-80 says "Hi"
I purposely excluded WY because it seems like a state that doesn't truncate US routes. If they were/are interested, I think the concurrency to Yellowstone and US 87 would be gone by now. But if WY removes their section, NE can too; then I imagine the western terminus of US 30 would be at Grand River.

It was sort of an early outer belt of Chicago along with spurs like 430 and 330.Roosevelt  Road was alt 30 I to downtown until the 70s.

Flint1979

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 08, 2021, 05:55:46 PM
I find it interesting that US 30 always bypassed the Chicago area, rather than go through it like the other mainline US Highways did (save US 6 & 45). That being said, out west, I could have easily seen US 30 being truncated to a western terminus somewhere in Nebraska, since it parallels Interstate 80 (and later Interstate 84) from Grand Island, Nebraska to Portland Oregon. Like US 90, US 30 was spared the fate of other long US Highways being greatly reduced in length or decommissioned entirely by the Interstate System.
I wouldn't say that it bypasses the area it bypasses the city of Chicago but it still goes through some of its suburbs.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 08, 2021, 05:55:46 PM

20 goes through Chicago

Rick Powell

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 09, 2021, 01:46:50 PM
I wouldn't say that it bypasses the area it bypasses the city of Chicago but it still goes through some of its suburbs.
The intersection of US 30 Lincoln Highway with Dixie Highway in Chicago Heights, IL was touted as the "Crossroads of the Country" by the locals. Before the interstate system, it was indeed a confluence of national importance, but obviously didn't reign supreme for too long. I worked on a study a few years back that looked to revitalize some of the vacant and underutilized properties in the area that was once a manufacturing juggernaut and still has some industries, although much less than 50 years ago.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Rick Powell on April 09, 2021, 04:43:22 PM
The intersection of US 30 Lincoln Highway with Dixie Highway in Chicago Heights, IL was touted as the "Crossroads of the Country" by the locals. Before the interstate system, it was indeed a confluence of national importance, but obviously didn't reign supreme for too long. I worked on a study a few years back that looked to revitalize some of the vacant and underutilized properties in the area that was once a manufacturing juggernaut and still has some industries, although much less than 50 years ago.
How many places are self proclaimed "Crossroads of America"  even? Of course, there's Indianapolis, but there's also two other points on US 40 (National Road, which makes sense as the E-W route): one with US 41 at Terre Haute and another with former US 25 (Dixie Hwy) north of Dayton. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others on US 30, as the Lincoln Hwy, maybe where 25 Dixie and 30 Lincoln met (I think near Lima)?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 09, 2021, 05:07:24 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on April 09, 2021, 04:43:22 PM
How many places are self proclaimed "Crossroads of America"  even? Of course, there's Indianapolis, but there's also two other points on US 40 (National Road, which makes sense as the E-W route): one with US 41 at Terre Haute and another with former US 25 (Dixie Hwy) north of Dayton. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others on US 30, as the Lincoln Hwy, maybe where 25 Dixie and 30 Lincoln met (I think near Lima)?

The Lincoln Highway (which had two major routings) and National Highway were the two main E-W roads of the time, with the various branches of the Dixie Hwy being the main N-S roads. Putting them together provides this list of early major intersections:

US 30 and IL 1 in Chicago Heights
Bus US 20 and Bus US 31 in South Bend
Old US 30 and Old US 31 in Plymouth, IN
US 30 and Dixie Hwy (very near I-75) in Beaverdam, OH
Washington and Meridian Streets in Indianapolis
US 40 and Dixie Dr (very near I-75) in Vandalia, OH

I've never seen anything to indicate that US 41 was a major early route, at least not where it intersected US 40. My understanding is that in the pre-interstate days, traffic heading south on US 41 from Chicago was more likely to veer off onto US 52 to Lafayette/Indy than stay on 41 to Terre Haute. Thus US 41 in Lake County is known as Indianapolis Blvd.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I've traveled US 30 from Camden, NJ to Granger, Wy. (over the course of 20 years)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

sparker

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 09, 2021, 05:23:24 PM

I've never seen anything to indicate that US 41 was a major early route, at least not where it intersected US 40. My understanding is that in the pre-interstate days, traffic heading south on US 41 from Chicago was more likely to veer off onto US 50 to Lafayette/Indy than stay on 41 to Terre Haute. Thus US 41 in Lake County is known as Indianapolis Blvd.

That primarily traveled route, US 41 south out of Chicagoland to US 52, in the earliest days of Interstate System planning, was penciled in as the original alignment of I-65.  Of course, the actual alignment as constructed "cut the corner" quite a bit and remained well east of US 41.  But while US 41 was more or less a "straight shot" to Florida for pre-Interstate "snowbirds", most of it from US 52 south to near the KY/TN line was excluded from Interstate planning for one reason or another (probably the system 40K/vicinity mileage cap had a lot to do with that).  But either as a major national N-S route or part of a regional Chicago-Indy corridor, its crossing of both US 20 in south Chicago and US 30 south of there would have, in pre-Interstate days, been a significant interregional/commercial junction point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.