News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What Vehicle is more entitled on the Road

Started by Tonytone, October 25, 2018, 02:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

I don't know if this topic has been made, but. While driving I thought of something, while seeing something. It seems that trucks have the most authority on the road. I said this because I watched a truck. Piggyback on a car that was going to slow in front of him. Now from experience driving, I know trucks will do this to make you move over, if you're going too slow. So then I thought of a list & if you could number Cars, Trucks, Pedestrians & Bikers (Because bikers think they are cars, and pedestrians at the same time. They deserve their own section). From 1 being low of entitlement on the road. While 5 being most respected on the road.

Car: Between 3/4. I feel like cars are treated like the most underrated thing man as ever made.
Truck: 5. Just because their big they make the shots.
Pedestrian: 1&5 this can vary from state to state.
Bikers: 1&5 this can also vary from state to state.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

hotdogPi

Truck: 5
Car: 3-4.
Bicycle: 5 by the bicyclist, 1 by other cars.
Pedestrian: 2-4 by the pedestrian, 1 by other cars.
Motorcycle: 5 by the motorcyclist, 3-4 by other cars.
Police car, fire truck, ambulance: 6 when lights are flashing, 5 otherwise.
City bus or long-distance bus: 4
School bus: 5 if in your own district, 3 otherwise

In general, the entitlement number is more than the respect number.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Tonytone

Quote from: 1 on October 25, 2018, 02:38:29 PM
Truck: 5
Car: 3-4.
Bicycle: 5 by the bicyclist, 1 by other cars.
Pedestrian: 2-4 by the pedestrian, 1 by other cars.
Motorcycle: 5 by the motorcyclist, 3-4 by other cars.
Police car, fire truck, ambulance: 6 when lights are flashing, 5 otherwise.
City bus or long-distance bus: 4
School bus: 5 if in your own district, 3 otherwise

In general, the entitlement number is more than the respect number.
I agree. & The emergency vehicles/Buses are a good one Those are very entitled & respected on the road. Cars keep their distance from motorcycles aswell.

iPhone

seicer

pdx-wanderer

RVs: 4-5 by them, 3-ish by everyone else. On two lane roads this could be more like 5 and 1.

kphoger

Cars that look like highway patrol in your rear-view mirror, even though they aren't, but you don't realize it till they're past you:  5
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

Quote from: kphoger on October 25, 2018, 03:34:00 PM
Cars that look like highway patrol in your rear-view mirror, even though they aren't, but you don't realize it till they're past you:  5
Yes. This deserves a upvote +1.

iPhone

roadman

One clarification.  Bikers drive motorcycles.  Cyclists ride bicycles.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vdeane

Quote from: inkyatari on October 25, 2018, 04:25:09 PM
Quote from: roadman on October 25, 2018, 04:09:02 PM

Actually, you just muddied it..  Motorcyclists drive motorcycles.  Bikers ride bicycles.
Around here, it's as roadman stated it.  I have NEVER heard of someone on a bicycle referred to as a "biker".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on October 25, 2018, 03:42:27 PM
As a former Grand Marquis driver, I got that impression from time to time, since mine looked like a Crown Vic.

Quote from: vdeane on October 25, 2018, 07:47:10 PM

Actually, you just muddied it..  Motorcyclists drive motorcycles.  Bikers ride bicycles.
Around here, it's as roadman stated it.  I have NEVER heard of someone on a bicycle referred to as a "biker".
Depends on who you ask/where you're talking about, I feel.  I use them interchangeably.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

webny99

Yep. This happens to me all the time, especially with Explorers, Taurus's, and Chargers. I've gotten in the habit of checking to see if they have a regular, standard, license plate; if they do, then they're not highway patrol.

I also believe drivers of these types of vehicles are aware of the "scare" factor and think they have a right to drive faster/more aggressively than everyone else; "move out of my way or I'll get even closer and turn my imaginary flashing lights on!". They are still not as overbearing as trucks, though; all trucks are annoying but I think Rams are the worst!

PHLBOS

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 26, 2018, 09:30:56 AM
As a former Grand Marquis driver, I got that impression from time to time, since mine looked like a Crown Vic.
I've owned an '85 Grand Marquis, an '89 Chevy Caprice (Classic trim level, not the PPV package), a '97 Crown Vic. (LX model, not the police-packaged P71) & now own a 2011 Crown Vic that was a former rental (again, not a police packaged model); and there's been several times my cars have been mistaken for unmarked cruisers.  Heck, my '89 Caprice Classic was a tu-tone (black/grey) w/wire wheel covers and someone still mistook me for township police officer (I was standing next to the car in a parking lot wearing a brown suede bomber jacket w/blue denim jeans (hardly a police uniform)).

Side bar: Mercury used to offer police packages for its base-model full-sizes (the Monterey, than later the base Marquis) up through 1981.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: seicer on October 25, 2018, 02:44:28 PM
Hummer H1: 5

Hummers H2 & H3 deserve to be brake-checked down into a ravine.

Quote from: vdeane on October 25, 2018, 07:47:10 PM

Guy I carpool with calls himself a biker, even though all he does is ride a bicycle.  He's also the most pussiest person I know.  All he does is complain about real bikers.

Tonytone

I just thought of another one. Tow trucks! With their entitlement number @6. This is the only vehicle I know of, that speeds with 1 or two cars on its back. & this vehicle can also take you're vehicle lol.

iPhone

Tonytone

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 26, 2018, 10:06:13 AM
I've owned an '85 Grand Marquis, an '89 Chevy Caprice (Classic trim level, not the PPV package), a '97 Crown Vic. (LX model, not the police-packaged P71) & now own a 2011 Crown Vic that was a former rental (again, not a police packaged model); and there's been several times my cars have been mistaken for unmarked cruisers.  Heck, my '89 Caprice Classic was a tu-tone (black/grey) w/wire wheel covers and someone still mistook me for township police officer (I was standing next to the car in a parking lot wearing a brown suede bomber jacket w/blue denim jeans (hardly a police uniform)).

Side bar: Mercury used to offer police packages for its base-model full-sizes (the Monterey, than later the base Marquis) up through 1981.
People that drive their Tahoe's & suburbans with black tint & sometimes people get the old Tahoe's with the police rims, that can really get you. I usually look at the front grill for lights. Inside top windshield or the top to see if they have that skinny ass light bar. Other than that, seems like places that have police tahoes. Sell more dealership, tahoes to people & places with police, explorers sell more dealership explorers. I.E . Pa/De.

iPhone

inkyatari

Anyone driving any vehicle with a government license plate. Politicians.

Years back a Chicago TV station checked the speed of politicians going from Chicago to Springfield on I-55, and almost every one was going  way over the speed limit. They even confronted some of these politicians.  Unfortunately its been a long time since I've seen this report.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Tonytone

Quote from: inkyatari on October 26, 2018, 11:49:37 AM

Years back a Chicago TV station checked the speed of politicians going from Chicago to Springfield on I-55, and almost every one was going  way over the speed limit. They even confronted some of these politicians.  Unfortunately its been a long time since I've seen this report.
So those "U.S Government"  plates are politicians? In that case I see alot of those all the time.

iPhone

Brandon

Quote from: Tonytone on October 26, 2018, 12:16:47 PM

So those "U.S Government"  plates are politicians? In that case I see alot of those all the time.

Here, in Illinois, he's talking about green-on-white plates that start with the letter "M" (municipalities, townships, counties, PACE, CTA, etc.) and those that start with the letter "U" (state, ISTHA).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Tonytone

Quote from: Brandon on October 26, 2018, 12:24:53 PM

Here, in Illinois, he's talking about green-on-white plates that start with the letter "M" (municipalities, townships, counties, PACE, CTA, etc.) and those that start with the letter "U" (state, ISTHA).
Oh ok. All states have those type of plates eh?

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 26, 2018, 01:04:59 PM

So those “U.S Government” plates are politicians? In that case I see alot of those all the time.

iPhone

Going to always be state specific. 

NJ has MG or SG at the beginning or end of the tag number.  But for the most part in this state, they're used by regular employees of the town or state; not politicians. 

Some politicians have specialized license plates, including ones that regular people can't get.  One politician that I live near has SS on his tag.  Any normal personalized tag can't have fewer than 3 characters in this state.

Most police cars have MG or SG on them as well.  However, unmarked cars generally do not, and they appear as a regular tag number.

I've also seen cases in NJ where departments may have guidelines on how fast they can drive, including in marked police cars.  It's quite common on NJ highways to see municipal police cars outside their town doing the speed limit (probably going to/from court in a different town, or some meeting elsewhere in the state).  Most people know these guys can be easily passed without worry.  The scardy cat going 65 in the left lane refusing to pass one can really f-up traffic though.

US Government plates would be found on any car registered to the umpteen number of departments and divisions of the US Government.  More than likely they're just regular employees on government business (or maybe not on government business...I'm not following them to find out).   

ipeters61

Anyone driving any vehicle with a government license plate.
Delaware state cars will send an email to your boss if you're going more than 10 over, I think.  That was a pain when they installed the high-speed E-ZPass lanes, since they were still marked as 5 MPH in the GPS even though their actual speed limit is 65.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 01:22:12 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 26, 2018, 01:04:59 PM

iPhone

Going to always be state specific. 

NJ has MG or SG at the beginning or end of the tag number.  But for the most part in this state, they're used by regular employees of the town or state; not politicians. 

Some politicians have specialized license plates, including ones that regular people can't get.  One politician that I live near has SS on his tag.  Any normal personalized tag can't have fewer than 3 characters in this state.

Most police cars have MG or SG on them as well.  However, unmarked cars generally do not, and they appear as a regular tag number.

I've also seen cases in NJ where departments may have guidelines on how fast they can drive, including in marked police cars.  It's quite common on NJ highways to see municipal police cars outside their town doing the speed limit (probably going to/from court in a different town, or some meeting elsewhere in the state).  Most people know these guys can be easily passed without worry.  The scardy cat going 65 in the left lane refusing to pass one can really f-up traffic though.

US Government plates would be found on any car registered to the umpteen number of departments and divisions of the US Government.  More than likely they're just regular employees on government business (or maybe not on government business...I'm not following them to find out).   

Yeah, I see federal government plates all the time around here, what with an active Air Force base and a VA hospital not far from my house.  And also, the highway department uses state government license plates, and I don't feel any need to pay them any special deference while we're driving down the highway.  Ditto the maintenance trucks at state parks.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

These are the plates we are speaking about right?

iPhone

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

roadman

Depends on who you ask/where you're talking about, I feel.  I use them interchangeably.

Ever see a line of Schwinn ten speeds outside a biker bar?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.