News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mistakes non roadgeeks make about roads

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 22, 2020, 12:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

My driver's ed teacher called MA 128 an interstate  :pan:
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 22, 2020, 12:12:59 PM

Maybe they'd just seen my avatar...  :awesomeface:

<--
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

CoreySamson

I've seen US 59 in Houston called I-59, and I-69 called US 69. :banghead:
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

sprjus4

Every road that ever-so-slightly resembles a freeway (divided, shoulders, etc.) is an interstate, even if it has driveways, intersections, etc.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Freeways in PA are called expressways, no matter what.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

roadman

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 22, 2020, 12:15:49 PM

Maybe they'd just seen my avatar...  :awesomeface:

Or all the Interstate 95 shields on signs between Canton and Peabody and just conflated the numbers.

<--
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 22, 2020, 12:45:11 PM

The opposite seems to happen in WV, where at-grade expressways are called freeways (here's an example from Corridor H).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

texaskdog

watching forensic files last week the narrator said interstate 97, as a US 97 sign was on screen.  he also called it a state highway

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

A lot of people in my area believe that the municipality is responsible for the traffic light.  Almost all traffic lights are on county or state roadways, and thus they have jurisdiction.

A surprising number of people believe that state roads are county roads.  To use an example, even though NJ State Route 45 is properly signed at all signage points, many believe it's a county roadway.

Over 25 years ago in my younger days when I had time for this stuff, I went to our town council regarding a traffic light on CR 553 at NJ 55, which the state put in for traffic control of the on/off ramps for Rt. 55 North.  The timing of a protected left turn light had been changed somehow to only cycle at a specific interval, rather than on-demand, especially during lower traffic times.  Even though I stated they would need to talk to the state regarding the light, because the light appeared to physically control CR 553, the council insisted they would need to talk to the county.  Ultimately the county wrote back stating it's not their light, and they would need to contact the state.  Nothing was ever done about it.

Off the record, after the meeting, one of the council members told me they routinely go thru the red light when they go to work at 5am or so, and knew exactly what I was talking about. Still didn't do the situation any good though.

TheHighwayMan3561

The "every 1 in 5 miles"  urban legend about interstates. Since a lot of interstates just by coincidence have relatively straight, flat sections, a lot of people probably don't think to question it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CtrlAltDel

This is less a mistake and more a regional difference in terminology.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 22, 2020, 04:11:11 PM

This is less a mistake and more a regional difference in terminology.

Agreed, but I wasn't sure how to word that succinctly.

It's like saying all those European roadgeeks on Skyscrapercity aren't really roadgeeks just because they refuse to call anything that isn't controlled-access a "highway".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

briantroutman

DandyDan

I work with someone who routinely makes the trip from here in Mason City down to Fort Dodge. According to his description, he follows I-35 to I-20. I told him it's US 20 and he told me I don't understand that since it's freeway, it's interstate.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

kphoger

Quote from: DandyDan on June 22, 2020, 04:37:32 PM
I work with someone who routinely makes the trip from here in Mason City down to Fort Dodge. According to his description, he follows I-35 to I-20. I told him it's US 20 and he told me I don't understand that since it's freeway, it's interstate.

Well, that combines two mistakes, considering 20 isn't even controlled-access west of the Eagle Grove exit.
Male pronouns, please.

STLmapboy

A STL tourism map handed out by volunteers at Lambert Airport showed MO-370 as an interstate.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

wxfree

The worst fake Interstate I've seen is "I-30" in Austin.  I've seen and can understand "I-130" and "I-45," but seeing the "1" in "130" as "I" is a stretch, especially since there is no "I" in front of the number on Interstate signs.  Maybe they just have Dallas envy.

To be fair, I've seen it referred to that way only once.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

texaskdog

texaskdog

my wife's dad's wife called I-90/94 "the I system"

KCRoadFan

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 22, 2020, 10:22:18 PM
A STL tourism map handed out by volunteers at Lambert Airport showed MO-370 as an interstate.

I've always thought that MO 370 SHOULD be an interstate - in fact, I don't know why it's not one already. Ditto with MO 364.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 22, 2020, 11:17:03 PM

I've always thought that MO 370 SHOULD be an interstate - in fact, I don't know why it's not one already. Ditto with MO 364.

Same with things like NC 840. Oh wait...
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

Roadgeekteen

It's a de facto interstate.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 22, 2020, 11:17:03 PM
Ditto with MO 364.
might want to upgrade the 64/364 junction before that happens.

Did the map display MO-364 correctly?

sprjus4

Quote from: wxfree on June 22, 2020, 10:46:09 PM
The worst fake Interstate I've seen is "I-30" in Austin.  I've seen and can understand "I-130" and "I-45," but seeing the "1" in "130" as "I" is a stretch, especially since there is no "I" in front of the number on Interstate signs.  Maybe they just have Dallas envy.

To be fair, I've seen it referred to that way only once.
I've once heard "I-68" on VA-168 here in Hampton Roads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.