Why are most of the roads in the Indianapolis area signed on I-465?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 31, 2017, 08:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2017, 01:57:43 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on June 15, 2017, 12:43:38 AM
I believe at one point, Interstate 465 and 69, US 31, 36, 40, 52, and 421, and IN 37 and 67 are all concurrent. If only concurrencies were signed on I-465...
Indiana would be bankrupt.

Hey if Colorado and New Mexico can have US routes on interstates and not be signed why can't Indiana?  :bigass:

The same with US 67 and US 90 in TX, as the rest of the state seems to have no issue signing them (US 87 gets signed on I-27 and on I-10 for example) and Arkansas is another with US routes on interstates.  US 64 through Fayetteville was not signed at all when I drove it last year.

At least some ramps tell you what exit to use to continue on the beltway for whatever route your on as the last time I was there in 08 US 31 S Bound was told to follow I-435 East to Exit x.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2017, 04:57:37 PM
Hey if Colorado and New Mexico can have US routes on interstates and not be signed why can't Indiana?  :bigass:

Or Utah. Good luck following US-89 through it's I-15 concurrencies, or the US 189/I-80 concurrency, which isn't signed at all (see my signature).

csw

At least some ramps tell you what exit to use to continue on the beltway for whatever route your on as the last time I was there in 08 US 31 S Bound was told to follow I-435 East to Exit x.
As far as I know, these are signed on all the US Routes that intersect I-465 (31, 36, 40, 52, 421). Here's US 40's on the west side:

dvferyance

I believe at one point, Interstate 465 and 69, US 31, 36, 40, 52, and 421, and IN 37 and 67 are all concurrent. If only concurrencies were signed on I-465...

The same with US 67 and US 90 in TX, as the rest of the state seems to have no issue signing them (US 87 gets signed on I-27 and on I-10 for example) and Arkansas is another with US routes on interstates.  US 64 through Fayetteville was not signed at all when I drove it last year.

As far as I know the US routes on the beltway are not signed.

roadman65

I wish our nation's capital would just let MD and VA sign US 1, US 29, and US 50 on I-495.  Extend VA 110 to cover US 1 through Arlington and Alexandria.  I am sure that VA could come up with useful numbers for US 50 and 29 along the inside of the Beltway.  US 50 along the John Hanson Highway could be MD 595 and a nice three digit could suffice US 1 in College Park and Hyattsville.

DC from what I have seen or heard does not shield the US routes anymore and removed some without even replacing them as well.  No one uses the numbers as in DC its all New York Avenue, Rhode Island Avenue, and Constitution Avenue etc.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Are there any maps that show I-69's original proposed route through downtown? I believe they would have the downtown loop as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

silverback1065

All of the highways the us 465 are signed at the ramps to tell you which exit to get off on to continue the route, except US 36/SR 67 pendelton pike, they never replaced those when they redid the interchange a few years ago.

silverback1065

Quote from: Henry on June 16, 2017, 09:13:10 AM
Are there any maps that show I-69's original proposed route through downtown? I believe they would have the downtown loop as well.

I'll try to post it, but basically 69 was supposed to shoot straight north from the north split, the western part of the loop never got very far off the ground, so i dont think there are maps of that.

Roadgeekteen

I guess there is really no point in signing them.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2017, 07:11:49 PM
I wish our nation's capital would just let MD and VA sign US 1, US 29, and US 50 on I-495.  Extend VA 110 to cover US 1 through Arlington and Alexandria.  I am sure that VA could come up with useful numbers for US 50 and 29 along the inside of the Beltway.  US 50 along the John Hanson Highway could be MD 595 and a nice three digit could suffice US 1 in College Park and Hyattsville.

DC from what I have seen or heard does not shield the US routes anymore and removed some without even replacing them as well.  No one uses the numbers as in DC its all New York Avenue, Rhode Island Avenue, and Constitution Avenue etc.

The US routes used to be well-signed in DC as recently as 15 years ago and quasi-signed at the beginning of this decade.  Poking around GMSV it is nearly non-existent now, as you have said.  All of these routes have turns, so that is worthless.

If US 1 were still signed I would say just keep it in DC because it is not a through route on either side of DC for a considerable distance, but moving US 29 and US 50 onto the beltway would certainly make sense.  On the Virginia side, US 50 should also be put on I-66 because Arlington Blvd has a truck restriction.

westerninterloper

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Revive 755

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 14, 2017, 10:59:49 PM
I thought someone had posted, somewhere in the last 10-12 years, the original proposal(s) of the freeways in Indy (an innerbelt, ala Columbus to the east). I'm not sure if it was here, or back on MTR. Maybe it was Stephen Summer?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2257.msg51367#msg51367

Rothman

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 17, 2017, 09:01:57 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2017, 07:11:49 PM

The US routes used to be well-signed in DC as recently as 15 years ago and quasi-signed at the beginning of this decade.  Poking around GMSV it is nearly non-existent now, as you have said.  All of these routes have turns, so that is worthless.

If US 1 were still signed I would say just keep it in DC because it is not a through route on either side of DC for a considerable distance, but moving US 29 and US 50 onto the beltway would certainly make sense.  On the Virginia side, US 50 should also be put on I-66 because Arlington Blvd has a truck restriction.
Not to go too far off track here, but moving US 50 onto the Beltway doesn't make much sense to me, given how important of a route it is into DC from the east.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

silverback1065

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 15, 2017, 12:00:46 AM
I'm pretty sure West St was supposed to pretty much be the location of the missing leg of a Downtown Indy Inner Belt

the original place is actually west of the white river, but because the river is in the way, they chose west street, that's why it's like 8 lanes wide

westerninterloper

A few other maps from the same source I posted earlier. Sorry about the poor quality; the original Purdue docs are fuzzy.

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

silverback1065

I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking not having anything going northeast, they seriously fucked that up royally.  I'd rather not have 65 exist inside the loop than not having 69.

US 89

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 20, 2017, 09:40:28 PM
I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking not having anything going northeast, they seriously fucked that up royally.  I'd rather not have 65 exist inside the loop than not having 69.

It looks like they thought about having 69 go northeast, and then decided not to go through with it. Probably a bunch of NIMBYs cancelled it.

silverback1065

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 21, 2017, 12:33:51 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on June 20, 2017, 09:40:28 PM

It looks like they thought about having 69 go northeast, and then decided not to go through with it. Probably a bunch of NIMBYs cancelled it.

basically, and after that, they tried to build 165 which would have went from the north split to 38th st, if they did that, they would have inevitably built 69 eventually.

ysuindy

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 19, 2017, 12:14:40 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on June 15, 2017, 12:00:46 AMg
I'm pretty sure West St was supposed to pretty much be the location of the missing leg of a Downtown Indy Inner Belt

IIRC within that linked document is a discussion of West Street and the proposed west leg of the Inner belt.  The intent was to put it below ground level like a good chunk of the east leg, but tests indicated the water table w from the White River was too high to allow that. West Street / Missouri Street was the result

the original place is actually west of the white river, but because the river is in the way, they chose west street, that's why it's like 8 lanes wide

Flint1979

I'm guessing it was done to limit the state and US highways going through Indianapolis. The beltway there works pretty good too. The only freeways within the beltway are I-65 and I-70 both of which travel through the area but I-69 and I-74 get put on the beltway.

Finrod

I remember as a kid back sometime in the 1970s seeing a map of what was supposed to be current and future Indianapolis interstates, and it had I-74 on the southeast side inside I-465, going up Southeastern Ave until it turned due west to the south I-65-70 junction.  Same map had I-69 coming in Binford Blvd until it turned due south to the north I-65-70 junction.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

silverback1065

Quote from: Finrod on August 09, 2017, 08:53:04 PM
I remember as a kid back sometime in the 1970s seeing a map of what was supposed to be current and future Indianapolis interstates, and it had I-74 on the southeast side inside I-465, going up Southeastern Ave until it turned due west to the south I-65-70 junction.  Same map had I-69 coming in Binford Blvd until it turned due south to the north I-65-70 junction.

hmm, i didnt think 74 was ever proposed to go inside the loop. 

Finrod

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 10, 2017, 07:45:52 AM
Quote from: Finrod on August 09, 2017, 08:53:04 PM

hmm, i didnt think 74 was ever proposed to go inside the loop.

Since I've never seen it anywhere else, I'm wondering if it was added by the mapmaker to catch others copying their maps.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

hockeyjohn

This is correct, between Exit 46 (US-40) and Exit 47 (US-52) on Indy's east side these routes are all concurrent on I-465.   Once I-69 is signed, I would expect SR 37 to be truncated at its junctions with I-69 at both Bloomington and Fishers so the count would go down by one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.