News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: sbeaver44 on August 02, 2022, 10:03:05 AM
When PennDOT renumbered to mileage-based exits, I'm pretty sure I-283 reversed the direction in which the exit numbers increased.  I believe PA 283 was exits 2W and 2E, PA 441 was Exit 1, and I-83 (in the old PennDOT manner of interstate-to-interstate junctions) was unnumbered.

The way I-283 is makes sense now, PA 283 is the southernmost exit, which is 1A and 1B.  PA 441 is Exit 2, and I-83/US 322 is 3A/3B/3C.

What was the reason that the exit numbering increased going southbound before the switch?  Is this a weird US 230 remnant or something?
I'm guessing it's because some states number exits/mileage on 3dis with the 0 point being the interchange with the parent rather than the western/southern end (see: I-581 in VA, PA 378).  PennDOT may have decided to change methodologies when they went mile-based.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

I wish the PA 28 freeway and the US 6 freeway east of Scranton, and PA 581 were converted along with the other routes that were converted to mileage-based exit numbers in 2001.

MATraveler128

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 02, 2022, 06:12:43 PM
I wish the PA 28 freeway and the US 6 freeway east of Scranton, and PA 581 were converted along with the other routes that were converted to mileage-based exit numbers in 2001.

This was because the MUTCD at the time only required Interstates to be renumbered if I recall correctly. So PA 28 and the others you mentioned weren't renumbered. I don't see PennDOT ever renumbering these freeways any time soon if ever.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

74/171FAN

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 02, 2022, 06:17:42 PM

This was because the MUTCD at the time only required Interstates to be renumbered if I recall correctly. So PA 28 and the others you mentioned weren't renumbered. I don't see PennDOT ever renumbering these freeways any time soon if ever.

For the record, I have not heard anything on any rumors about PA 28 potentially receiving an interstate designation from I-279 to Kittanning after the reconstruction of the Highland Park Interchange.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

IMO PA 28 an US 6 should be converted.  PA 581 is close enough; not much point in changing 1A/B, 2, 3, 4, 5A/B, 6A/B to 1A/B, 1C, 2, 4, 5A/B, 7A/B.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ran4sh

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 02, 2022, 06:17:42 PM

The MUTCD didn't require mile-based numbers until 2009. The prior MUTCDs listed both the mile-based and sequential systems as options (however in the MUTCD they are known as "reference location" and "consecutive" respectively), it recommended distance-based but didn't require it.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

sbeaver44

Quote from: vdeane on August 02, 2022, 12:57:32 PM
Quote from: sbeaver44 on August 02, 2022, 10:03:05 AM
When PennDOT renumbered to mileage-based exits, I'm pretty sure I-283 reversed the direction in which the exit numbers increased.  I believe PA 283 was exits 2W and 2E, PA 441 was Exit 1, and I-83 (in the old PennDOT manner of interstate-to-interstate junctions) was unnumbered.

The way I-283 is makes sense now, PA 283 is the southernmost exit, which is 1A and 1B.  PA 441 is Exit 2, and I-83/US 322 is 3A/3B/3C.

What was the reason that the exit numbering increased going southbound before the switch?  Is this a weird US 230 remnant or something?
I'm guessing it's because some states number exits/mileage on 3dis with the 0 point being the interchange with the parent rather than the western/southern end (see: I-581 in VA, PA 378).  PennDOT may have decided to change methodologies when they went mile-based.
Ah.  Yes, that makes sense.  Thanks!

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 04, 2022, 12:04:01 PM
PennDOT - District 6 News: PennDOT to Begin Project to Improve Safety on I-476 Interchange, McDade Boulevard in Ridley Township

Wow, this is interesting and unexpected. That left turn from McDade Blvd East to Bullens is currently a disaster, so that added left turn lane is huge. As for the part about changing the ramp from 476 North to McDade, if it's how I've drawn it up I don't see how this is an improvement, plus it adds a signal.

Here's a link to my shoddy OneNote drawing

Lastly, for the 'auxiliary lane' between McDade and US 1, I assume that's just a variable shoulder lane right? I guess anything will help there.
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

ekt8750

Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on August 04, 2022, 08:28:01 PM

Lastly, for the 'auxiliary lane' between McDade and US 1, I assume that's just a variable shoulder lane right? I guess anything will help there.

Could be like that one lane on 476 south between PA 3 and US 1.

jemacedo9

The SB added lane bet PA 3 and US 1 is a truck/hill climbing lane.

I'm curious too what these two new NB "auxiliary lanes" will be too, "in the existing footprint".  When I hear "auxiliary lane" I picture a third lane between the exits that become Exit Only lanes.  I didn't think there was enough room on the Crum Creek bridge just north of Exit 1 to squeeze in a third lane.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Anyone know if there is a place where traffic signal improvement plans might be posted? My township just got a grant to update signals near me and I wanted to find out more details on what they're doing. Not sure if this type of project is posted in ECMS.

74/171FAN

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 10, 2022, 05:27:41 PM
Anyone know if there is a place where traffic signal improvement plans might be posted? My township just got a grant to update signals near me and I wanted to find out more details on what they're doing. Not sure if this type of project is posted in ECMS.

I think the ones more focused on state roads are, but probably not if it is generally township roads having signal upgrades.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Mr. Matté

Old film from the 1950s of the US 22 Easton-Phillipsburg Toll Bridge, the then-brief stretch of expressway on the west side, and the original approach and toll booth on the NJ side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqNgtcvxLtg

Rothman

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 12, 2022, 08:20:37 PM
Old film from the 1950s of the US 22 Easton-Phillipsburg Toll Bridge, the then-brief stretch of expressway on the west side, and the original approach and toll booth on the NJ side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqNgtcvxLtg
Ugh.  Even in the 1980s, traffic was horrible through there. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tylert120

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 10, 2022, 06:10:40 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on August 10, 2022, 05:27:41 PM

I think the ones more focused on state roads are, but probably not if it is generally township roads having signal upgrades.

If it is a township project, then the plans would be accessible from the township because they need to be put out to bid.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

So I found plans this morning on the CE Expert System to widen Centerville Rd (SR 4057 at the US 30 bridge, but otherwise a township road) between PA 462 and PA 23.

QuoteThe proposed project involves the reconstruction of the S.R. 4057 (U.S. 30/T-408 Centerville Road) Interchange in East Hempfield and Manor Townships, Lancaster County, including; ramp intersection reconfiguration, improvements to acceleration and deceleration lanes along U.S. 30, and replacement of the structure carrying Centerville Road over U.S. 30. The structure replacement will provide a bridge with an increased clearance to meet design criteria.
Additionally, the project involves the widening of T-408 (Centerville Road) to add thru lanes and a continuous center left turn lane from just south of PA 462 (Columbia Avenue) to just north of PA 23 (Marietta Avenue) in East Hempfield and Manor Townships. PA 23 (Marietta Avenue) will be widened, adding an additional westbound lane from Stony Battery Road to just east of T-408 (Centerville Road). The project will also include upgrades to traffic signals, pedestrian access, stormwater management systems, and guide rail, as necessary.

(For PA 321) PennDOT - District 2 News: Southbound Detour for Route 321 Has Been Lifted

(For PA 208)  PennDOT - District 1 News: PennDOT Announces Virtual Plans Display for Route 208 Bridge Replacement Project in Clintonville, Venango County

PennDOT - District 6 News: PennDOT Reopens Flint Hill Road Following Sinkhole Repair in Upper Merion Township

(For PA 504/US 220 ALT (Milesburg))  PennDOT - District 2 News: Traffic Delays Expected as Contractor Places Box Culvert

(For US 322)  PennDOT - District 2 News: Milling/Paving to Start This Week on Route 322 Project near Philipsburg

(For PA 5) PennDOT - District 1 News: Restriction Posted on Route 5 in Erie County

PennDOT - District 8 News: Weekend Work Scheduled on SB I-83 John Harris Memorial (South) Bridge

(I-83 at PA 74)  PennDOT - District 8 News: Nighttime Lane Restrictions Scheduled on I-83 at Route 74 (Queen Street) Bridge in York County

akotchi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 15, 2022, 12:13:41 PM
(For US 322 BUS (State College)) PennDOT - District 2 News: Work on Atherton Street Project to Resume August 22

Just in time for move-in weekends at Penn State for the fall semester . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.