Actors and movies they did outside of their associate genre.

Started by RobbieL2415, July 07, 2019, 11:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

For example:

John Travolta, Carrie (1976)
Vince Vaughn, Jurrassic Park: The Lost World (1997)
Carey Elwes, Saw (2004)
Johnny Depp, A Nightmare On Elm St. (1984)
Matthew Broderick, Godzilla (1998), Inspector Gadget (1998)

Max Rockatansky

Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker's Dracula which was more or less a horror movie...with an equally horrific performance by Reeves who almost dragged the whole thing down with him.

golden eagle

Jim Carrey starred in the horror film The Number 23, and was a TV movie Doing Time On Maple Drive In the early 90s.

KeithE4Phx

John Wayne, as Genghis Khan, in The Conqueror (1956). 

A tragic movie all the way around.  Not only was Wayne miscast, but many cast and crew members, including director Dick Powell and Wayne himself, later died of cancer.  This was allegedly because the film was shot downwind from a nuke test site in Nevada, although Wayne was also a heavy smoker.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

wanderer2575

Jim Carrey did a dramatic role in The Truman Show.

Robin Williams was perhaps best known for high-energy comedy, but he had a number of dramatic movie roles.

One might nominate most of the entire main cast of Airplane! (Robert Hayes, Robert Stack, Lloyd Bridges, Peter Graves, and Leslie Nielsen), although the genius of the movie is that they all played their roles in straight dramatic fashion, not as slapstick comedy.  (I omit Julie Hagerty because she had done other comedy.  And of course this film relaunched Leslie Nielen's film career as a comedy actor.)

If you include television, Jonathan Winters' first role on film was a dramatic performance opposite Jack Klugman in the original Twilight Zone episode "A Game of Pool" written by George Clayton Johnson.

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on July 07, 2019, 04:19:03 PM
John Wayne, as Genghis Khan, in The Conqueror (1956). 

A tragic movie all the way around.  Not only was Wayne miscast, but many cast and crew members, including director Dick Powell and Wayne himself, later died of cancer.  This was allegedly because the film was shot downwind from a nuke test site in Nevada, although Wayne was also a heavy smoker.

And made worse because RKO Studios owner Howard Hughes had several dozen tons of the radioactive dirt from Snow Canyon, UT (where a significant portion of the film was shot) shipped to Hollywood to recreate the desert location on a soundstage for retakes and other scenes.

SSOWorld

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 07, 2019, 05:46:45 PM
One might nominate most of the entire main cast of Airplane! (Robert Hayes, Robert Stack, Lloyd Bridges, Peter Graves, and Leslie Nielsen), although the genius of the movie is that they all played their roles in straight dramatic fashion, not as slapstick comedy.  (I omit Julie Hagerty because she had done other comedy.  And of course this film relaunched Leslie Nielen's film career as a comedy actor.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

Ricardo Montablan when he appeared in a movie Dominque which was outside his usual villainous roles and adventure or drama he always did.  In that movie was religious themed and though maybe considered a drama, but in nature pictures of convents and churches can be looked at as a separate genre altogether.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.