Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Westside Parkway & Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)

<< < (2/120) > >>

agentsteel53:
the exit numbers are currently patched over, but I saw what looked to say "44".  did I mistake a "114" (approximate distance to end of CA-58) or is there a truncation planned?

Henry:

--- Quote ---It also is a sign of transportation projects on the move. The parkway’s final $30.1 million segment, from Allen Road to the Heath Road and Stockdale Highway intersection, is due to be completed next year, while planning continues for the controversial Centennial Corridor, which will connect the parkway to Highway 58 and, eventually, Interstate 5.
--- End quote ---
Along with the improvements of CA 58 eastward to Barstow, I don't see why I-40 shouldn't continue further west in the future. It already connects to I-95 in the East, so why not I-5 in the West? (I-10, I-80 and I-90 already connect to both.)

kkt:

--- Quote from: Henry on January 07, 2014, 01:44:14 PM ---
--- Quote ---It also is a sign of transportation projects on the move. The parkway’s final $30.1 million segment, from Allen Road to the Heath Road and Stockdale Highway intersection, is due to be completed next year, while planning continues for the controversial Centennial Corridor, which will connect the parkway to Highway 58 and, eventually, Interstate 5.
--- End quote ---
Along with the improvements of CA 58 eastward to Barstow, I don't see why I-40 shouldn't continue further west in the future. It already connects to I-95 in the East, so why not I-5 in the West? (I-10, I-80 and I-90 already connect to both.)

--- End quote ---

It should, not because I-5 is the westernmost 2di, but because I-40 is the best route from California to the southern midwest and southeast.  Produce from California's Central Valley, manufactured goods from S.F.; the quickest route is I-5, cross the southern Central Valley at CA-46 or CA-58 to Bakersfield, than CA-58 to Barstow.  I-80 is possible, but it takes a lot of gas to climb up to Donner Pass, and if continuing east through the Rockies too, and they are both subject to closure in the winter.  Barstow is not the logical west end of the route, I-5 is.

bing101:
http://www.scvresources.com/highways/socal_unsigned/alfred_harrell_hwy/

Was Alfred Harrell Highway supposed to be I-40 at one point?

According to the site

"The freeway portion of the Alfred Harrell Highway “Freeway”  extends from China Grade Loop east to Hart Park. It was constructed to freeway standards using FAS money from 1956 to 1958. The reason for the construction of this freeway was to relieve traffic congestion heading to Hart Park. Beyond Hart Park, Alfred Harrel Highway resumes two-lanes. Grading work was done to continue the freeway but was never used. The Alfred Harrel Highway would be a great northern bypass of Bakersfield if it were ever completed as a full freeway from SR-178 to SR-99."

Was this ever supposed to be a state route?

Occidental Tourist:

--- Quote from: bing101 on January 27, 2014, 12:39:02 PM ---Was Alfred Harrell Highway supposed to be I-40 at one point?

--- End quote ---

No, it wouldn't meet interstate standards (curve, grade).

--- Quote from: bing101 on January 27, 2014, 12:39:02 PM ---Was this ever supposed to be a state route?

--- End quote ---

No, some FAS money went to important local roads that weren't part of the state's highway system. 

Here's an old article:
http://archive.org/stream/cavol3940liforniahigh6061wa00calirich#page/n123/mode/2up

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version