News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best alt route between Richmond & Norfolk?

Started by MarylandMichael, July 21, 2017, 12:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 24, 2021, 09:14:46 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 24, 2021, 08:54:39 AM
Quote from: froggie on July 21, 2017, 12:50:25 PM(nevermind that, to get to/from 460, the Hopewell cops love to hang out on their tiny corner of I-295).

I wonder of people keep thinking to the days when 295 was 55 mph. With a 70 mph limit, the so-called speed trap on 295 simply doesn't exist anymore.  On my relatively rare trips on 295, I think I saw a cop once, and he clesrly didn't care about me doing 74 in a 70.

Does anyone actually have any modern experiences of getting stopped on 295 in Hopewell, or have we entered urban-legend territory here? If a cop is waiting for someone to go 80+, that's not much of a speed trap at that point.
The speed trap is definitely still there - police presence from Hopewell cops is still there on a regular basis.

However, it is true that you are not going to get pulled over unless you are traveling more than 80 or 85 mph.

It's not worth avoiding, just slow your speed to 70-75 mph when you go through the area and you'll be fine.

Same with US-460. The towns certainly have speed traps and the rural areas in between at times, however it's still faster just to travel 55-60 mph (as slow crawling as they may feel on an open highway that should be 65-70 mph) and slow down through towns then drive out of the way on other routes just to avoid it.

I'm sure the definition varies, but this doesn't meet my definition of a speed trap. "Speed trap" to me is when a cop is in an area where speeding could increase, such as the bottom of a hill, or unfairly gives no leniency when one is offered on comparable roadways or by other police agencies. If Hopewell is waiting for people going 10 or 15 over the limit, that's not a speed trap.

AlexandriaVA

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.