Regional Boards > Canada

Ontario's Highways

<< < (303/308) > >>

dmuzika:

--- Quote from: andrepoiy on November 27, 2023, 11:30:11 PM ---I think there perhaps might be a case for the 404 being extended down the DVP and the QEW being extended as well. But I suspect that the "local names" of DVP and Gardiner will stick.

I am excited for when all those imo ugly City of Toronto signs get replaced by proper MTO signs on both freeways and for (especially the DVP) to be redesigned to MTO standards.

For Ottawa though, I feel that it may be unlikely that RR-174 gets renumbered to 17, as that would again create another discontinuous segment. Perhaps it might just stay as 174?

--- End quote ---

Right, in reality the routes would probably co-designated with the name & number (i.e. Hwy 404 / Don Valley Parkway) if highway numbers are extended. Being from Alberta, I'm very familiar with both the name and number on urban freeways (i.e. Hwy 2 / Deerfoot Trail), regardless of ownership.

I'm not as familiar with how things are done in Ontario, but how are provincial named/numbered freeways signed? Generally it seems like only the number is signed, even if there is a name. For example, it seems like in the case of Hwy 417 / Queensway, I don't think the name 'Queensway' is commonly signed in Ottawa.

kernals12:
Hwy 404 of course is notoriously difficult to find

andrepoiy:

--- Quote from: dmuzika on November 28, 2023, 12:25:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: andrepoiy on November 27, 2023, 11:30:11 PM ---I think there perhaps might be a case for the 404 being extended down the DVP and the QEW being extended as well. But I suspect that the "local names" of DVP and Gardiner will stick.

I am excited for when all those imo ugly City of Toronto signs get replaced by proper MTO signs on both freeways and for (especially the DVP) to be redesigned to MTO standards.

For Ottawa though, I feel that it may be unlikely that RR-174 gets renumbered to 17, as that would again create another discontinuous segment. Perhaps it might just stay as 174?

--- End quote ---

Right, in reality the routes would probably co-designated with the name & number (i.e. Hwy 404 / Don Valley Parkway) if highway numbers are extended. Being from Alberta, I'm very familiar with both the name and number on urban freeways (i.e. Hwy 2 / Deerfoot Trail), regardless of ownership.

I'm not as familiar with how things are done in Ontario, but how are provincial named/numbered freeways signed? Generally it seems like only the number is signed, even if there is a name. For example, it seems like in the case of Hwy 417 / Queensway, I don't think the name 'Queensway' is commonly signed in Ottawa.

--- End quote ---

I think the only provincial freeways that have a name in Ontario are Queensway (417 in Ottawa) and the Conestoga Parkway (7, 8, 85 in Waterloo Region). Both of which are never signed on MTO signs. (Not sure if they are on municipal signs).

Alps:
Considering 451 is hidden on the QEW, I imagine whatever numbers are assigned should this come to fruition will be hidden as well.

rickmastfan67:
Could we perhaps see the QEW extended over BOTH the Gardiner & DVP?  Would be better to have 1 continuous route there IMO.

That or a brand new 4xx number both both routes?  Perhaps 422?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version