Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Wisconsin notes

<< < (881/921) > >>

peterj920:

--- Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 03, 2023, 01:26:31 PM ---I've noticed on the recent reconstruction work on 94 around Osseo they left space on the Buffalo River bridges for 6 lanes, so maybe Wisconsin is thinking about the jugular on this some distant future day...

--- End quote ---

The wide bridges are used now for when there’s reconstruction and traffic is moved to one side of the freeway. I’ve noticed this as sections of I-94 are undergoing pavement replacement in Northwest Wisconsin and I-94 between Madison and Waukesha. Eventhough it seems like 6 lane expansion is no where in sight I do notice that WISDOT is making an effort to keep
Work zones at 2 lanes in each direction on I-94. There were even temporary eastbound lanes built by Osseo. Question is if it’s that easy to build the temporary lanes why not use the bed for a permanent 3rd lane?

dvferyance:

--- Quote from: GeekJedi on December 03, 2023, 06:57:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: dvferyance on December 02, 2023, 06:58:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 02, 2023, 08:21:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: peterj920 on December 02, 2023, 12:23:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 01, 2023, 03:49:41 PM ---Well the top priority right now is I-41 expansion between Appleton and De Pere. But my guess is that three laning I-94 will gradually go east from Madison and west from Milwaukee.

--- End quote ---

It doesn’t seem like WISDOT has any studies or interest in rebuilding I-94 between Madison and Waukesha but it should. The roadbed is shot and resurfacings don’t last long anymore. Many of the interchanges are outdated especially at County C in Delafield. Here’s the rankings right now in rebuilds based on construction:

1. I-41 between Appleton and De Pere: project approved
2. I-39/90/94 Wisconsin River Bridges wide enough for 8 lanes: project approved
3. I-94 between the Zoo and Marquette Interchanges: Ongoing study and is actively being pursued.
4. I-90 between Wis Dells and The Beltline: Currently being studied for expansion

--- End quote ---
\

Resources are limited so I get why the above are the current priorities.  A much as I agree that I-94 between Madison and Waukesha needs to be rebuilt and expanded, there just isn't enough to go around right now. And the current capacity is by and large fine for the time being.

--- End quote ---
They should have done it between Waukesha and Oconomowoc and forgot about the Waukesha bypass.

--- End quote ---

The Waukesha Bypass was needed. Traffic counts now support that. If you look at the remnants of Merrill Hills Rd., you're surprised that the accident count wasn't much higher than it was. There's no getting around the fact that Merrill Hills was a major route, and it allowed Waukesha to remove US-18 from town. It was money well spent (and split between the state, county, and city, so that money wouldn't have covered much of anything on 94).

--- End quote ---
But how many people took Hwy 18 and followed it all the way through town to the other side? Anyone doing that might as well just take I-94.

The Ghostbuster:
If I remember correctly, US 18 was decommissioned within the city of Waukesha around the same time as STH 74 was decommissioned (and partially redesignated as an extension of CTH F), which would have been in 2015. The decommissioning of 74 and 18 through Waukesha was to free up state highway mileage to designate Meadowbrook Rd. as STH 318, and for US 18 to bypass Waukesha once the West Waukesha Bypass had been completed. I believe the West Waukesha Bypass should have been constructed decades ago, maybe when the pre-existing Les Paul Parkway was still designated CTH A.

SEWIGuy:

--- Quote from: dvferyance on December 07, 2023, 06:11:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 01, 2023, 03:49:41 PM ---Well the top priority right now is I-41 expansion between Appleton and De Pere. But my guess is that three laning I-94 will gradually go east from Madison and west from Milwaukee.

--- End quote ---

It doesn’t seem like WISDOT has any studies or interest in rebuilding I-94 between Madison and Waukesha but it should. The roadbed is shot and resurfacings don’t last long anymore. Many of the interchanges are outdated especially at County C in Delafield. Here’s the rankings right now in rebuilds based on construction:

3. I-94 between the Zoo and Marquette Interchanges: Ongoing study and is actively being pursued.
4. I-90 between Wis Dells and The Beltline: Currently being studied for expansion

--- End quote ---
\

Resources are limited so I get why the above are the current priorities.  A much as I agree that I-94 between Madison and Waukesha needs to be rebuilt and expanded, there just isn't enough to go around right now. And the current capacity is by and large fine for the time being.

--- End quote ---
They should have done it between Waukesha and Oconomowoc and forgot about the Waukesha bypass.

--- End quote ---

The Waukesha Bypass was needed. Traffic counts now support that. If you look at the remnants of Merrill Hills Rd., you're surprised that the accident count wasn't much higher than it was. There's no getting around the fact that Merrill Hills was a major route, and it allowed Waukesha to remove US-18 from town. It was money well spent (and split between the state, county, and city, so that money wouldn't have covered much of anything on 94).

--- End quote ---
But how many people took Hwy 18 and followed it all the way through town to the other side? Anyone doing that might as well just take I-94.

--- End quote ---

Bypassing around the city on US-18 isn't the only reason for the bypass.  In fact, looking at traffic count maps, 15-20,000 people a day use the west bypass. It looks like a significant portion use it to go from I-94 to south of Waukesha. And that makes perfect sense considering how the lake country and Waukesha County have exploded in population.

Building this bypass seems like a no-brainer to me. It should have been done years ago when they put the rest of the bypass in.

mgk920:

--- Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 08, 2023, 08:01:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: dvferyance on December 07, 2023, 06:11:51 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
\

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Bypassing around the city on US-18 isn't the only reason for the bypass.  In fact, looking at traffic count maps, 15-20,000 people a day use the west bypass. It looks like a significant portion use it to go from I-94 to south of Waukesha. And that makes perfect sense considering how the lake country and Waukesha County have exploded in population.

Building this bypass seems like a no-brainer to me. It should have been done years ago when they put the rest of the bypass in.

--- End quote ---

I still remember seeing planning maps of that bypass back in the 1980s and thinking that 'that is just one of the many previously planned Milwaukee area freeways that won't be built'.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version