News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Return of AMOCO

Started by US71, October 10, 2017, 04:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

BP has announced its intention to bring back the AMOCO brand.

Full press release here

Pity about the logo.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

Neat! The closest station to me as a child was an Amoco, so the name has a bit of nostalgia to me. Part of me wonders why they didn't try to do it right after the oil spill, though...
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Quote from: Takumi on October 10, 2017, 05:47:35 PM
Neat! The closest station to me as a child was an Amoco, so the name has a bit of nostalgia to me. Part of me wonders why they didn't try to do it right after the oil spill, though...

Too busy paying everyone off?

freebrickproductions

There's actually an Amoco station in Guin, AL. It's abandoned, but it's still an Amoco station!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Takumi

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 10, 2017, 06:45:22 PM
There's actually an Amoco station in Guin, AL. It's abandoned, but it's still an Amoco station!
There was one on VA 45 a few years ago, but it's been removed.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

Quote from: US71 on October 10, 2017, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: Takumi on October 10, 2017, 05:47:35 PM

Too busy paying everyone off?

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cjk374

My first Amoco stations I ever saw were all in Missouri. I always filled up at Amoco anytime I was there. I always seemed to get better gas mileage with their gas.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

apeman33

I presume it will be Amoco everywhere, although there is a part of me that's curious if they would call it "Standard" in the parts of the country where they used that name (such as Kansas).

As far as the logo goes, it looks like a fairly good modernization to me. It could have been rendered in purple and green with Aachen Bold as the font. It could do without the gradient in the halves of the oval, though.

Takumi

I'm not sure if they'll all transfer from BP to Amoco or whether both will exist in the same areas a la Exxon and Mobil.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ilpt4u

I'm betting the one in St Louis at Skinker Road exit from I-64/US 40 will be rebranded Amoco -- since it has the giant "Amoco" sign that is a protected US Landmark, still at the station

Just a guess...

They gonna bring back the SOHIO brand, while they are at it?

ExxonMobile isn't the only US Fuel Company with multiple US brands

Marathon has Marathon and Speedway

PHLBOS

Quote from: US71 on October 10, 2017, 04:55:42 PMPity about the logo.
:confused: I'm not sure what you mean.  The AMOCO looks to be the same as it was.  Prior to the mid 70s, the logo featured AMERICAN inside the oval & torch instead of AMOCO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

US71

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 11, 2017, 09:39:21 AM
:confused: I'm not sure what you mean.  The AMOCO looks to be the same as it was.  Prior to the mid 70s, the logo featured AMERICAN inside the oval & torch instead of AMOCO.

Henry

This really takes me back, and I'm glad to see that the name has been revived. Now if only BP can go back to using the Interstate shield logo for their own brand, it'll be something truly special!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

Why bring it back now?  Is BP's brand too tarnished from Deepwater Horizon?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SP Cook

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 11, 2017, 01:08:30 AM

They gonna bring back the SOHIO brand, while they are at it?

Marathon has Marathon and Speedway

BP uses SOHIO for it inland marine operations in Ohio, to protect the Standard and SOHIO trademarks there. 

Phillips has the trademarks to Phillips 66, Conoco, and 76.  Chevron has the trademarks to Chevron and Texaco.  It is also Caltex in the southern hemisphere, ironically a joint ventue started in the 1930s between the two companies that did not merge until the 90s.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on October 11, 2017, 10:17:32 AM
Why bring it back now?  Is BP's brand too tarnished from Deepwater Horizon?
They've certainly had a reduced presence around here since then, and I'm not even near the Gulf of Mexico.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PHLBOS

Quote from: US71 on October 11, 2017, 09:43:18 AM
Thanks for the close-up and yes I did not view the linked-video until now.  Worth noting: the signage graphics on the station in the video appears to be more muted (resembles the previous logo at a quick glance).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Big John

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 11, 2017, 09:39:21 AM

Depending on region, in Wisconsin, it said StANDARD with that logo.

ET21

I still call the Aon Center in Chicago the Amoco Building.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on October 11, 2017, 02:44:25 PM

You mean the Standard Oil Building?  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on October 11, 2017, 03:56:12 PM
Quote from: ET21 on October 11, 2017, 02:44:25 PM

You mean the Standard Oil Building?  :bigass:

Ohhh that's before my time lol
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Takumi

An Amoco has appeared in Midlothian, VA at the intersection of US 60 and VA 147.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US 89

I don't know of any Amocos still around in Utah today, but just today I found this in Elberta, Utah on US 6, at the southern terminus of UT 68.

ce929wax

abefroman329

Hasn't it always been "BP, selling Amoco fuel" ? Or did they take a break from that?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.