News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SC MV and AV ROW Markers

Started by N9JIG, May 21, 2024, 09:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N9JIG

I was recently in SC, driving from Miami to Myrtle Beach then to Charleston. During that trip I followed US-378 and US-17 for extended periods as well as several state roads.

Along many of these roads there were periodic concrete ROW markers labeled as "MV" and occasionally similar posts with "AV" instead of "MV" on them. Many were crudely spray painted blue.

A couple questions:

What does "MV" and "AV" mean?

Why the crude spray painting?

Are these truly Right of Way markers or do they indicate something else?
Illinois Highways Page                                                          http://www.n9jig.com

Henry

My guess is that it has something to do with the water main, as "MV" means "Master Valve", and "AV" means "Auxiliary Valve".
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cowboy_wilhelm

I feel stupid for not knowing this until now and never bothering to look it up.

N9JIG

Oh wow, now I wish I had looked for water infrastructure in the area!

That reminds me of seeing "W", "E" and "S" engraved on the curbs in my neighborhood. At first I thought they were directional indications as they seemed to jive (except for the lack of "N"'s) but when I looked around they started to appear not to. It took me driving thru a construction area and seeing the water and sewer facilities being installed before I realized that they were indicating the locations of the pipes.
Illinois Highways Page                                                          http://www.n9jig.com

PColumbus73

Quote from: Henry on May 21, 2024, 11:22:30 PMMy guess is that it has something to do with the water main, as "MV" means "Master Valve", and "AV" means "Auxiliary Valve".

Correct.

These are markers related to the water and sewer lines. They are installed/maintained by the local water & sewer utility to indicate location of valves nearby. If you walk up to one of them, they should have a brass medallion on top with an arrow and distance to said valve.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.