News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on October 23, 2019, 07:33:16 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 22, 2019, 02:06:35 PM
Grading only? I had the impression (apparently mistaken) that all work to complete and open that stretch of the BNB would be completed by fall 2016. At any rate, even when that 1.34-mile segment is fully completed, it will likely be a useless, very underutilized spur until more of the BNB is completed and opened to traffic further west, as well as further east.

The contract specifically excluded paving.  It's fairly common in the Deep South to have grading and bridges as one contract, then paving as a second contract upon completion of the first.
I-69 in Tennessee. Been graded & bridges completed for almost 10 years, and now is finally getting paved.

The Shelby Bypass in North Carolina is also getting this treatment.

cjk374

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 23, 2019, 04:26:42 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 23, 2019, 07:33:16 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 22, 2019, 02:06:35 PM
Grading only? I had the impression (apparently mistaken) that all work to complete and open that stretch of the BNB would be completed by fall 2016. At any rate, even when that 1.34-mile segment is fully completed, it will likely be a useless, very underutilized spur until more of the BNB is completed and opened to traffic further west, as well as further east.

The contract specifically excluded paving.  It's fairly common in the Deep South to have grading and bridges as one contract, then paving as a second contract upon completion of the first.
I-69 in Tennessee. Been graded & bridges completed for almost 10 years, and now is finally getting paved.

The Shelby Bypass in North Carolina is also getting this treatment.

Arkansas built I-530 around Pine Bluff like this. Bridges first, grading, then paving.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Tomahawkin

Can Jasper Alabama please build another truck stop! The one that has the subway and McDonald's is always crazy busy! Or can they build a truck stop somewhere between exits 90 and the 65 interchange???

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 28, 2019, 02:51:38 PM
Can Jasper Alabama please build another truck stop! The one that has the subway and McDonald's is always crazy busy! Or can they build a truck stop somewhere between exits 90 and the 65 interchange???

Once east of Jasper I-22 encounters the outer 'burbs of Birmingham; it's likely that both the hilly terrain and the local residents may mitigate against a sizeable truck facility being located in that area.   But as far as locating in or around Jasper itself, that would likely be a matter for local zoning officials to contemplate -- and the proprietors of the existing facility (and the franchisees of the Mickey D's and Subway might raise a stink as well) may attempt to throw their weight around to limit competition.  I-22 is relatively new, and at this time the traffic levels may not be enough to convince another truck stop operator to site a facility along its length -- but give it time, and things might change.

codyg1985

Supposedly there is a truck stop going in at Exit 46 but I haven't heard much else about it.

EDIT: it is called the Rolling T Truck Stop north of I-22 off of Exit 46. Sadly it is not open 24 hours.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

sparker

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 29, 2019, 05:39:03 PM
Supposedly there is a truck stop going in at Exit 46 but I haven't heard much else about it.

EDIT: it is called the Rolling T Truck Stop north of I-22 off of Exit 46. Sadly it is not open 24 hours.

That's only about 15 miles west of Jasper; spreading that type of facility out rather than concentrating several at one stop might be better for the commercial driver (even if it's only 16-18 hours per day).  I'm just surprised that one hasn't popped up west of there around Winfield, where the freeway ended for several years. 

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on November 30, 2019, 12:27:12 AM

That's only about 15 miles west of Jasper; spreading that type of facility out rather than concentrating several at one stop might be better for the commercial driver (even if it's only 16-18 hours per day).  I'm just surprised that one hasn't popped up west of there around Winfield, where the freeway ended for several years.

Wonder if the prohibition of truck traffic on that county road that connected the freeway with US 78 is a reason?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on November 30, 2019, 03:31:57 PM

Wonder if the prohibition of truck traffic on that county road that connected the freeway with US 78 is a reason?

Back in early 2001 when I had the occasion to travel along US 78 from Memphis to Birmingham, the freeway temporarily terminated at AL 129 north of Winfield rather than a county road; I was referring to that particular diamond interchange as a potential truck stop site.  That facility was still in service when I went through again in mid-2002, although it appeared at the time that the extension east toward Carbon Hill was ready to open to traffic.     

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on November 30, 2019, 03:31:57 PM

There are a couple county roads in Arkansas that connect to the Interstates, but are "state maintained"  as far as the gas station driveway then are "closed" to trucks beyond tha point.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.