News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Phoenix Area Highways

Started by swbrotha100, February 22, 2015, 07:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: ztonyg on August 12, 2020, 11:59:42 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 12, 2020, 10:23:19 AM
I saw that the new Daktronics DMS being installed on L-101 Price Freeway SB on the "T" post appears to be a front access model instead of walk-in. I know the ADOT's contract with Daktronics includes both walk-in and front access. The overhead ones are all walk-in.

Interesting. I wasn't sure that ADOT was going to do the "T" post DMSs on urban freeways.

This makes more sense then for the DMS on the Loop 101 E/B west of Hayden Road. It was formerly overhead mounted but during the widening project the overhead DMS was taken down and the DMS (a Daktronics character matrix) has been sitting on ground level on a concrete slab next to the freeway. Believe it or not the DMS is still fully functional and ADOT is currently displaying messages on it. I'd assume the ultimate goal would be to mount it (or a different DMS model) on a T-pole as there is no support base for a monotube (or any other kind of overhead mount) in the newly installed median concrete.

GSV for anyone interested: https://goo.gl/maps/ozw9iwSVBpCJpo6AA

I've definitely never seen anything like this.

ztonyg

Quote from: jakeroot on August 12, 2020, 02:26:09 PM
Quote from: ztonyg on August 12, 2020, 11:59:42 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 12, 2020, 10:23:19 AM
I saw that the new Daktronics DMS being installed on L-101 Price Freeway SB on the "T" post appears to be a front access model instead of walk-in. I know the ADOT's contract with Daktronics includes both walk-in and front access. The overhead ones are all walk-in.

Interesting. I wasn't sure that ADOT was going to do the "T" post DMSs on urban freeways.

This makes more sense then for the DMS on the Loop 101 E/B west of Hayden Road. It was formerly overhead mounted but during the widening project the overhead DMS was taken down and the DMS (a Daktronics character matrix) has been sitting on ground level on a concrete slab next to the freeway. Believe it or not the DMS is still fully functional and ADOT is currently displaying messages on it. I'd assume the ultimate goal would be to mount it (or a different DMS model) on a T-pole as there is no support base for a monotube (or any other kind of overhead mount) in the newly installed median concrete.

GSV for anyone interested: https://goo.gl/maps/ozw9iwSVBpCJpo6AA

I've definitely never seen anything like this.

It's actually stranger now as the mainline has reverted back to its pre-construction location so the DMS is somewhat obstructed by the construction on the right side of the road.

I drove the 101 Price in both directions between US 60 and the Loop 202 Santan today. ADOT did a nice job with it and the completed diamond ground concrete was quiet and smooth.

Back to the DMS topic it appears that what they did was replace the 2 overhead Daktronics character matrix walk in DMSs with 2 Daktronics full matrix walk in DMSs and then immediately across the freeway they added in 2 "T" mounted front access Daktronics DMSs on the right side of the road.

The more interesting item is that they are replacing the 1 overhead FDS/Sylvia (retrofitted by SES America) character matrix DMS on the Price Freeway S/B just south of Baseline Rd. with a right side "T" mounted front access DMS (presumably a Daktronics unless they simply relocate the overhead DMS to the right side of the freeway).

GSV shows the base of the new DMS directly in front of and to the left of the existing DMS supports:

https://goo.gl/maps/ecaDh2KwDEa1g2Ga6

Pink Jazz

I wonder, are the DMS on the Loop 303 walk-in or front access?  I know the ones on the "T" poles in the rural areas of Arizona are walk-in, but the new ones that were installed on the Loop 101 Price Freeway are front access (the new overhead ones are walk-in).

As for the existing FDS Sylvia/SES America DMS on the Loop 101 Price Freeway, I think that one was retrofitted as recently as 2017 or 2018, so it seems like it would be strange to replace it only 2-3 years later.  Perhaps ADOT wants to modernize the Loop 101 Price with new color full matrix DMS, considering ADOT did a full replacement of the Daktronics character matrix DMS.

I wonder if we will start seeing travel times on the Loop 202 SanTan once the Skyline DMS get retrofitted with the color SES America boards.  These will probably be among the last to get retrofitted, since these are some of the newest Skyline DMS in Arizona.

Pink Jazz

Confirmed that the FDS Sylvia/SES America DMS on the Loop 101 Price Freeway SB is being replaced by a Daktronics full matrix color DMS. I saw them installed side by side today.

The Ghostbuster

So Loop 303 will officially be extended from its current southern terminus at W. Van Buren St. southward all the way to Interstate 8. When they're done with that, maybe they could extend it even further south to the US/Mexican Border.

splashflash

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 14, 2020, 09:20:40 PM
So Loop 303 will officially be extended from its current southern terminus at W. Van Buren St. southward all the way to Interstate 8. When they're done with that, maybe they could extend it even further south to the US/Mexican Border.
Oh? Here is what I find from the ADOT website.  The 2012 study was not finalized, but indicated it running south to 
the Hassayampa Freeway, that is Interstate 11, rather than I-8.

Loop 303: State Route 30 to Hassayampa Freeway Study
Arizona Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration are conducting a study and environmental overview to identify and evaluate the most feasible transportation corridor / river crossing for the future extension of Loop 303 between the proposed State Route 30 and Hassayampa Freeway. The proposed corridor could be located within the city of Goodyear and unincorporated sections of Maricopa County.

The proposed Loop 303 extension may include four travel lanes, a high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane in each direction and a new Gila River crossing. The Loop 303 corridor may ultimately connect to Maricopa Association of Governments' proposed Hassayampa Freeway

The Ghostbuster

I got my information from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Route_303. Maybe I should have gone elsewhere for a second opinion.

rte66man

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 15, 2020, 06:24:45 PM
I got my information from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Route_303. Maybe I should have gone elsewhere for a second opinion.

Wikipedia can be helpful IF there are valid citations backing up what is said. That article only had one citation.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

splashflash

Quote from: rte66man on August 16, 2020, 09:04:58 AM

Wikipedia can be helpful IF there are valid citations backing up what is said. That article only had one citation.

http://www.i11study.com/arizona/. While I-11 is under review, even it may not come to fruition.

DJStephens

Quote from: splashflash on August 16, 2020, 11:54:39 AM

http://www.i11study.com/arizona/. While I-11 is under review, even it may not come to fruition.

Incredibly wasteful, and duplicative.  Does not even use the AZ-85 corridor.  Run it down Grand avenue, as originally planned!   Am of opinion any new construction/upgrades should be on current US 60, S of Wickenburg.   

ztonyg

Quote from: DJStephens on August 16, 2020, 04:18:44 PM

Incredibly wasteful, and duplicative.  Does not even use the AZ-85 corridor.  Run it down Grand avenue, as originally planned!   Am of opinion any new construction/upgrades should be on current US 60, S of Wickenburg.

I believe that there should be 2 things that occur.

1.) Upgrade AZ-85 to a full freeway.
2.) Upgrade US 60 to a full freeway from Wickenberg to Loop 303 and then run I-11 down Loop 303 which would end at AZ-30.

The AZ-30 freeway and I-10 would be sufficient to connect AZ-85 to the Loop 303 / I-11 corridor.

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 12, 2020, 10:45:35 PM
I wonder, are the DMS on the Loop 303 walk-in or front access?  I know the ones on the "T" poles in the rural areas of Arizona are walk-in, but the new ones that were installed on the Loop 101 Price Freeway are front access (the new overhead ones are walk-in).

As for the existing FDS Sylvia/SES America DMS on the Loop 101 Price Freeway, I think that one was retrofitted as recently as 2017 or 2018, so it seems like it would be strange to replace it only 2-3 years later.  Perhaps ADOT wants to modernize the Loop 101 Price with new color full matrix DMS, considering ADOT did a full replacement of the Daktronics character matrix DMS.

I wonder if we will start seeing travel times on the Loop 202 SanTan once the Skyline DMS get retrofitted with the color SES America boards.  These will probably be among the last to get retrofitted, since these are some of the newest Skyline DMS in Arizona.

On the topic of Loop 303 DMSs, it appears that they are front access in on "T-poles". GSV was my friend on this one.

https://goo.gl/maps/FASf1xmjKp5dMTAy6

On the topic of travel times. When will ADOT start posting travel times at a point on WB I-10 from downtown to either 59th Ave or Loop 202?

For years the WB DMSs in the vicinity of Downtown (including on the segement of I-17 that is south of I-10) displayed the travel time to I-10 and 59th Ave. During the Loop 202 construction travel times to 59th Ave were no longer posted but since Loop 202 has been completed all of the WB DMSs in the vicinity of Downtown still only display travel times to I-17 and Peoria Ave (with the 2nd line blank).

Pink Jazz

There is apparently a bug with the new Daktronics sign that replaced the FDS Sylvia/America sign when displaying travel times. It is displaying travel times in a very tiny font.

BigManFromAFRICA88

t
We all know running I-11 down Grand Avenue any inches past Loop 303 would be an eminent domain mess and an economic leech. That being said I wish the preferred alternative for I-11 were a bit further away from I-10 but...

Pink Jazz

Looks like Queen Creek has gone back to Highway Gothic again, and the newest lighted signs have the letters in an extra large size.

The Ghostbuster

Looks like the Loop 303 page on Wikipedia has been changed. At present, it is not planned to extend further south than MC 85. I don't know why they posted it as saying it would go all the way south to Interstate 8. Sounds like wishful thinking if you ask me. Also, why are the exit numbers numbered the way they are? The numbers should be about 100 lower than they are. And I thought Interstate 17's numbers were goofy.

Zonie

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 03, 2020, 02:43:44 PM
Looks like the Loop 303 page on Wikipedia has been changed. At present, it is not planned to extend further south than MC 85. I don't know why they posted it as saying it would go all the way south to Interstate 8. Sounds like wishful thinking if you ask me. Also, why are the exit numbers numbered the way they are? The numbers should be about 100 lower than they are. And I thought Interstate 17's numbers were goofy.

Since the south end of Loop 303 isn't know, the intersection with MC 85 was set at MP 100.  This way, if Loop 303 extends further south, there wouldn't be the need to renumber the entire freeway. 

Roadwarriors79

These street name signs in Glendale should be used more. Larger text than their older signs, and incorporate the new city logo.

SM-G975U

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on September 14, 2020, 02:06:24 PM
These street name signs in Glendale should be used more. Larger text than their older signs, and incorporate the new city logo.

SM-G975U

+1

Those look sharp and clean, and best of all, they don't use Clearview!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Exit58

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on September 14, 2020, 02:06:24 PM

SM-G975U

I also +1 for not using Clearview (yuck!). At the same time, is Glendale trying to court Google or something? I thought for sure that G was for Google hahaha.

Exit58

Quote from: BigManFromAFRICA88 on August 18, 2020, 01:33:54 AM

t
We all know running I-11 down Grand Avenue any inches past Loop 303 would be an eminent domain mess and an economic leech. That being said I wish the preferred alternative for I-11 were a bit further away from I-10 but...

I don't mind the current route personally. I-10 is always going to be a headache trying to widen since it runs through Gila River. Plus with the anticipated growth of the valley to the SW I think it's going to be needed. Maricopa is growing at a decent clip and is only served by 347 - which I have driven lately and during off peak it's fine but rush hour GOOD LUCK! It's not even a freeway, just an expressway that ADOT is going to add another light to I believe this coming year. Sure, you could connect using Mobile Rd (which becomes SR 238 near Mobile) from SR 85 but that involves dropping south all the way to Gila Bend.

Goodyear - which annexed Mobile before the 2008 crash - is talking about extending Happy Valley Rd down to SR 238 as a two-lane. That would give a minor alternative but that's a long drive on a two-lane road.

Fun fact: Goodyear, Maricopa and Casa Grande almost touch each other. I was shocked to find that out.

ztonyg

ADOT is replacing the overhead Daktronics fixed character DMSs along the Loop 101 Pima project area (I-17 to Pima Rd) with walk in “T-pole” full matrix Daktonocs DMSs (mounted on the right side of the freeway).

The new DMSs are already installed on W/B loop 101 just past Pima Rd. As well as on W/B Loop 101 at Cave Creek Rd. (Although the signs that they are replacing are still operational).

howlincoyote2k1

Quote from: Exit58 on September 25, 2020, 03:31:39 PM

t

I don't mind the current route personally. I-10 is always going to be a headache trying to widen since it runs through Gila River. Plus with the anticipated growth of the valley to the SW I think it's going to be needed. Maricopa is growing at a decent clip and is only served by 347 - which I have driven lately and during off peak it's fine but rush hour GOOD LUCK! It's not even a freeway, just an expressway that ADOT is going to add another light to I believe this coming year. Sure, you could connect using Mobile Rd (which becomes SR 238 near Mobile) from SR 85 but that involves dropping south all the way to Gila Bend.

Goodyear - which annexed Mobile before the 2008 crash - is talking about extending Happy Valley Rd down to SR 238 as a two-lane. That would give a minor alternative but that's a long drive on a two-lane road.

Fun fact: Goodyear, Maricopa and Casa Grande almost touch each other. I was shocked to find that out.

I hear you that a freeway in the SW valley is going to be needed for the growth, and I would agree with that. I-11, however, is not the solution to that problem.

Let me reiterate once again:

The objective of Interstate 11 should be to connect the cities of Las Vegas, Nevada and Phoenix, Arizona. Period. End of discussion.

It's not to relieve traffic in parts of the Valley. It's not to provide a Phoenix bypass. It's not to provide relief to I-10. I won't deny that those are indeed issues, but they need their own solutions independent of Interstate 11.

It's to provide a direct Interstate link between two large metropolitan areas in the American Southwest.

I can live with I-11 meeting I-10 at the current 303 junction in Goodyear, considering Grand Avenue has been built up beyond that point and extending I-11 further in would be impossible. But connecting I-11 to I-10 out in Buckeye or Tonopah defeats the whole purpose of the interstate and the two cities remain without a complete, direct connection.

ztonyg

Quote from: howlincoyote2k1 on October 01, 2020, 01:59:12 AM

t

I hear you that a freeway in the SW valley is going to be needed for the growth, and I would agree with that. I-11, however, is not the solution to that problem.

The objective of Interstate 11 should be to connect the cities of Las Vegas, Nevada and Phoenix, Arizona. Period. End of discussion.

It's not to relieve traffic in parts of the Valley. It's not to provide a Phoenix bypass. It's not to provide relief to I-10. I won't deny that those are indeed issues, but they need their own solutions independent of Interstate 11.

It's to provide a direct Interstate link between two large metropolitan areas in the American Southwest.

I can live with I-11 meeting I-10 at the current 303 junction in Goodyear, considering Grand Avenue has been built up beyond that point and extending I-11 further in would be impossible. But connecting I-11 to I-10 out in Buckeye or Tonopah defeats the whole purpose of the interstate and the two cities remain without a complete, direct connection.

Honestly ADOT simply needs to upgrade AZ 85 from I-8 to I-10 to a freeway. The interchange was I-10 is already a fully freeway - freeway interchange and they have ROW and frontage roads already from I-10 until the Gila River. Why ADOT decided to focus on ridiculous proposals such as I-11 routings through the middle of nowhere or useless Loop 303 extensions, I don't know.

howlincoyote2k1

Quote from: ztonyg on October 01, 2020, 05:18:24 PM
Quote from: howlincoyote2k1 on October 01, 2020, 01:59:12 AM

t

Honestly ADOT simply needs to upgrade AZ 85 from I-8 to I-10 to a freeway. The interchange was I-10 is already a fully freeway - freeway interchange and they have ROW and frontage roads already from I-10 until the Gila River. Why ADOT decided to focus on ridiculous proposals such as I-11 routings through the middle of nowhere or useless Loop 303 extensions, I don't know.

Agreed. I have to imagine it shouldn't be too bad, aside from the construction of the new interchange at I-8. As a bonus; extend AZ 85 up to Wickenburg via Aguila Rd and Vulture Mine Rd. Both roads are paved and seem to be in good condition, so an upgrade should be pretty easy. Building ramps to the Aguila Rd overpass over I-10 might be the hardest part of the project. If ADOT wants to spur growth in that area (although Sun Valley Parkway hasn't done that yet in how many years?), that might be the way to do it while still steering I-11 towards L303.

Roadwarriors79

So the new DDI at I-17 and Happy Valley Rd is  open. Relatively minor work to be done still. Took a pic while I was at the light. Interesting that the "Happy Valley" sign is a city of Phoenix installation, since all the signals, lighting, etc. are all ADOT standard.

SM-G975U

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.